2000 points, blackguard advice requested

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Agifem
Noble

2000 points, blackguard advice requested

Post by Agifem »

Hi,

I have a list in head, and i'd like to replace one of my usual anvils (20 corsairs) with a blackguard, to try them and see what they are capable of. Here's the list i have come up with :

High Sorceress, level 4, pegasus, darkstar cloack, crown of black iron
Sorceress, level 2, steed
Noble, BSB, heavy armor, sea dragon cloack (in the chariot)

20 Warriors, shields, full command
10 Warriors, repeater crossbows, shields
3x5 dark riders, repeater crossbows, musician

1 COC, spears (BSB goes here)
5 COK
5 Shades
5 Harpies

1 RBT
10 Blackguards

The list leaves me about 70 points to play with, and i can get more if i drop the crossbows on the dark riders and/or the crossbowelves unit. Overall, i like the list as it is, with the exception of the BSB, blackguard and COC.

The 3 units (BSB, chariot, blackguard) are the units i am requesting some help to improve (i am satisfied with the other units). By placing the blackguard on a side of the battlefield, next to the BSB on chariot, i make sure the blackguard can play its tarpit role, with a chariot (US 5) ready to flank-charge the enemy in close combat with the blackguard, while the BSB makes me almost certain the blackguard can stand several rounds of combat without failing me. I think adding the BSB on the chariot allows a double role for it (US 5 for the chariot, protection for the BSB).

However, i am uncertain on those units setup. Should i add a magical banner on the BSB or on the blackguards (considering i don't think i'll encounter fear-causing units) ? Should i add more blackguards models, or some command ? Should i add any magic item on the BSB ? Or is my idea really bad ?

I'm welcoming improvements on the whole list, but i'm mostly interested in improvements in the blackguard/BSB/chariot setup.
Druchii : Victories : 17. Draw : 3. Defeats : 10.
Vampire Counts : Victories : 11. Draw : 2. Defeats : 5.
Bretonnians : Victories : 6. Draw : 0. Defeats : 2.
Gnoblars : Victories : 1. Draw : 0. Defeats : 1.

"3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win."
Khel
Angel of Darkness

Post by Khel »

Im not sure if your Noble with BSB can go in a chariot...
Saldrimek Xenan - WS6 / S4 / T3 / D5 / I3

Equipment: Executioners Axe (Rune of Beastslaying - Heroic Killing Blow), 2 Scimitars (Rune of Speed - Always Strike First), Dagger, Rune Branded Leather Armour, Executioner Helm, Fine Set of Throwing Knives (x4)
Inventory: Amulet of Darkness, Poison Vials x7, Deadly Poison Vials x8
Mount: Dark Steed
Gold: 163
Skills: Ambidexterity, Frenzy, Two Weapon Fighting, Ride
Class: Khainite
Agifem
Noble

Post by Agifem »

Khelmor Blackspine wrote:Im not sure if your Noble with BSB can go in a chariot...

I'm fairly sure he can. A noble can ride a steed, cold one, chariot and pegasus. The BSB can do all these with the exception of the pegasus.

"3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win."
Lexy
Assassin

Post by Lexy »

Khelmor Blackspine wrote:Im not sure if your Noble with BSB can go in a chariot...

Yes you can.

I think you have to make a choice:
or 2 RBT's, or a unit of black guard.
10 black guard is too few in my opinion and 1 RBT too.

About the banners: I'm not too fond of dark elves banners.
dread banner on black guard usually works, but makes it a very expensive unit.
a war banner on the BSB might be good ( I expect you let him charge a unit with the knights.) that gives a 3CR befor combat ( and impact hits)
Never know what to do next, you might surprise yourself
Khel
Angel of Darkness

Post by Khel »

oh! thought i read that noble could only ride on a peggy....note to self..find reading glasses
Saldrimek Xenan - WS6 / S4 / T3 / D5 / I3

Equipment: Executioners Axe (Rune of Beastslaying - Heroic Killing Blow), 2 Scimitars (Rune of Speed - Always Strike First), Dagger, Rune Branded Leather Armour, Executioner Helm, Fine Set of Throwing Knives (x4)
Inventory: Amulet of Darkness, Poison Vials x7, Deadly Poison Vials x8
Mount: Dark Steed
Gold: 163
Skills: Ambidexterity, Frenzy, Two Weapon Fighting, Ride
Class: Khainite
Agifem
Noble

Post by Agifem »

Lexy wrote:I think you have to make a choice:
or 2 RBT's, or a unit of black guard.
10 black guard is too few in my opinion and 1 RBT too.

I respectfully disagree. My single RBT has proved to do the job all the time, neither disappointing nor outstanding. I don't think another RBT is such a great asset. I have already bought and mounted a second one, but i'm in no hurry to paint it.
As for 10 blackguards, they get their strengh from tenacity with leadership 9. As long as one of them is alive, they can stand. Getting more of them isn't something i consider important.

Lexy wrote:About the banners: I'm not too fond of dark elves banners.
dread banner on black guard usually works, but makes it a very expensive unit.
a war banner on the BSB might be good ( I expect you let him charge a unit with the knights.) that gives a 3CR befor combat ( and impact hits)

The warriors will team with the knights, the BSB chariot will team with the blackguard. Flank charge + BSB + killing from the chariot should do the trick of ridding me of the unit that engaged battle with Malekith's bodyguards.

About the banner, i am sure there are some interesting ones, i'm just looking for the one that could be the most helpful, if there is one.

Druchii1988
Beastmaster

Post by Druchii1988 »

Well Agifem, I have to agree with Lexy here. One of the few reasons to take BG, especially with a BSB is that they can hold any charge. If your unit gets charged by Chaos Knights or Grail Knights, they can take up to 10 casualties. Therefore, I really prefer a unit of 12 or 15. If you want to use them offensively, they are better 6 wide.

Concerning the RBT, I don't know your opponents but if there is terrain they can use, mine usually do so. With two RBTs, you can place them in a way, that always one RBT hits your opponent's most juicy targets.

With the remaining points I would give your high sorceress HSoD rather than CoBI. I would also give the Seal of Ghrond to your other sorceress. Giving War Banner to the BSB is a good idea but I don't think the Dread Banner is ever worth its points. At 75pts, you can almost take 5 extra BG which makes it less likely that the unit will be outnumbered and autobroken.
Rasputinii
M-A-D

Post by Rasputinii »

http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=41743

THE thread on Black Guard, by the Man when it come to Druchii Infantry.

You can find this link, and many many more in the Hall fo Fame Forum, in the Druchii tactics sticky. You really should read them all. Not just 'cos I spent ages compiling it but because everything in there is so good and so cramed with information that to not read it is to deny yourself the best knowledge this site has to offer.
Pleased to be back
Agifem
Noble

Post by Agifem »

In the name of Khaine, a hall of fame topic on blackguards i missed ? That can't be ! I'll go read it right now. Thanks :D