Powerful Offensive Magic Combinations?

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Severi87
Slave on the Altar

Powerful Offensive Magic Combinations?

Post by Severi87 »

I am looking to collect a 1500 point DE army in the near future. Magic is one of the major reasons why I expanded out of WH40K. I have been looking through the forums at army lists and have seen sorcesses being used primarily in defensive positions with a noble or other leader of some sort actually leading the army. I have also read some complaining about the stagnant Dark Magic as other Lore’s get better through new editions. Do you think strong offensive magic is viable in a competitive list, and if so what are your favorite offensive magic combinations?
Evilzealot
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Evilzealot »

I'd rely more on magical defense with Dark Elves. Never has magic won me a game unless I was playing the Cult, which is now not a viable army list. Some armies do magic well, and I would not rank the Dark Elves as one of them (although we are good at killing wizards). If you feel like raining magic death on people I suggest going for a High Elf, Lizardman, Chaos (Slaanesh magic is crazy), Undead or Skaven. Hey, they all get their own lores except the lizardmen... mmmm what are the odds?
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

I have no problem with using a lot of magic. But I'm all-or-nothing on the issue. I either want to overwhlem my opponent with magic, or I don't even bother trying.

It's hard to go magic-heavy in 1500 points since you can't take a High Sorceress. But you can still do it, and it can be effective I would go with this kind of character set-up:

Noble w/ Wand of Kharadron -- you want him for the leadership boost, and he can carry the Wand (Storm of Chaos item) since it is an Enchanted Item. I would put him in a chariot if you have the model for it.

Level 2 Sorceress -- Tome of Furion, Power Stone

Level 2 Sorceress -- Darkstar Cloak, Dispel Scroll
Truly These are the End Times ...
Severi87
Slave on the Altar

Post by Severi87 »

Thanks for the suggestions, but another question arose when I was looking at my army list. I am willing to go all in for magic, but what kind of list best supports these sorceresses? City Garrison, so there are a lot of models to slow the enemy down before the reach your powerful magic users. A fast Calvary list so short ranged spells can be brought to the enemy and also out maneuver inbound threats, maybe a balance with some magic hanging back while others advance with flanking units. Suggestion in this aspect would also be much appreciated.
Asikari
Highborn

Post by Asikari »

Unfortunately, the city garrison list, if I remember correctly, will allow only a single sorceress of no higher than level 2.

Given the short range spells of Dark Magic, I always have one sorceress mounted on a dark steed attached to a dark rider unit. Eventually I intend to have two.
"The strength you normally use is like the small visible segment of an iceberg..." Tohei-sensai

"Few problems can't be solved by the judicious application of brute force" Asikari
Rasputinii
M-A-D

Post by Rasputinii »

asikari wrote:Unfortunately, the city garrison list, if I remember correctly, will allow only a single sorceress of no higher than level 2.

True, but she does have three attacks.

If you are looking for a 1500pt magic list you may as well just bang Morathi in and make a 2k list. She is the bomb when it comes to druchii magic. Whats with GWs new stance on special characters I wouldn't feel remotely bad about using her. Shes a really very excellent special character. Not over powered but damned tasty, both magically and otherwise.
Pleased to be back
Quatters
Executioner

Post by Quatters »

But magic is very fickle. A noble you can expect to get job A done or fail at job B. Luck can play a part, but usually they don't stray too far from what you expect.
I've been using less magic now as I've had a particularily memorable battle where my opponents shaman had his head blow up on turn one, and my sorceress managed to use Soul Stealer to kill around 30 odd goblins and the same amount of Orcs.
Conversely there are those battles where magic does nothing.
I do take a bit of magic defence though. Seal of Ghrond is always in my armies.
MOTHERBOY!!!!!!!!!!
Venkh
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Venkh »

I use 3 level 2's in 2000 pts:

Noble Seal of Ghrond
1 Level 2 Tome of Furion Dispel scroll
1 Level 2 Darkstar cloak
1 Level 2 Dispel scroll

Thats 9 PD and 6 DD

I give them all death magic and will usually roll a couple of Doom and Darkness spells and a bunch of magic missiles.

Opponents who are not ITP or High elves (stoic) are very scared of this combination. Its ability to make enemy units run away is dumbfounding, especially in combination with a good shooting phase and some fear and terror causers.