The House of Gévaudan (DE 2250 points)

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Warpghost
Guardian of Montreford

The House of Gévaudan (DE 2250 points)

Post by Warpghost »

Well, like many people here im currently in the business of geting some constructive feedback on my shiny new take on DE. I think it'd be helpful for me to start out by making a mission statement: I like to create reasonably competitive lists, but which are still fun and arent purely netlist. I derive enjoyment from games with a strong competitive edge, but find WAAC and extreme powergaming create intensely dull and uninteresting games. So im not necassarily always looking for the 'safe' choices but neither am I deliberately avoiding the opportunities for making a good list better :)

High Sorceress (lvl4, Steed, Scroll, Darkstar Cloak) 328p
Master (BSB, Armour of Darkness, great weapon) 138p
Sorceress (lvl2, Wand of Kaidron) 175p

2x10 Crossbowmen (shields) [110] 220p
20 Warriors (Shields, FC) 155p
5 Dark Riders (rxb, musician) 117p

18 Black Guard (FC, Banner of Hag Graef) 299p
6 COK (Champ, Standard, War Banner) 219p
15 Witch Elves (Champ w/ Witchbrew) 187p
7 Shades () 112p

2x RBT [100] 200p

= 2150 points
102 wounds, 9PD + Bound 4, 5DD + scroll

Now, I can already hear the Blessed Cogs of Common Misconception starting to grind in the heads of many players at the sight of the Wand. But it remains as thoroughly legal as Albion items/Truthsayers/Dark Emmisaries, DoW, Lustria, the rest of the SoC stuff plus a bunch of other expansion stuff in WD and elsewhere that isnt found in Army Books. So please limit the comments to how actually useful it is. Thanks :)

Now, youll note im 100 points under what my target is, so firstly some help on what to fill the gap with would be much appreciated. Seems all of the Core choices are contenders, as is perhaps a cheapo Assassin. I just cant decide. OTOH, the High Sorceress is potentially a wee bit vulnerable and may need some protection.

The Witch Elves have turned out somewhat less enticing than the rumours suggested, so im umming-and-arring over them. They seem the best choice for pruning horde units (and will likely be deployed 6/7 wide), but im just not sure how effective theyll actually be, even if they are relatively cheap. I have the models and thats the main reason for using them atm, which isnt necassarily the best as I do want a reasonably competitive list ;) .
The COK occupy a similar line of selection, although again they seem a decent enough unit.
My Black Guard will be deployed in a 6-wide block. The BSB wont necassarily join them but it'll probably be the more likely option, considering he'll want to be on-hand to give them the re-roll as much as possible.

Im wanting to retain the reasonably magical lean to the army, as ive never really used magic enough before and, especially with the ability to take Metal lore (a lore ive been itching to experiment with since 6th edition, when it was generally ignored), I want to dabble. The lvl2 will probably take on the role of 'artillery caster' with Dark or Death magic, with the lvl4 being a bit more flexible and finesseful.
Last edited by Warpghost on Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Just giving my Z$100bn.

Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever
Godless-mimicry
Noble

Post by Godless-mimicry »

Any luck with that yet?
-Godless-

Tally:

New Chaos Warriors W12 D0 L3

Dark Elves W8 D0 L0
Grez90
The Tamer of Sea Dragons

Post by Grez90 »

i'm thinking possibly the pendant of khaeleth for protection, and a unit of harpies for cover
Amarel
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Amarel »

I definitely have some concerns over the safety of your High Sorc - especially as she's mounted so unable to hide with the same ease of a walking Sorc.

I am also not 100% convinced by the CoK; although the Cold-Blooded Banner makes them a better choice, it also bumps up the cost quite bit (with the standard bearer taken into consideration). And I think Witch Elves will only make it in if I also have the CoB to make them more worthwhile.
Still Serving Slaanesh
Owner of one too many armies...
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

I appreciate the choice of the name.
The Beast of Gévaudan was probably an exceptional wolf but it stays vivid in the memories of central France as "The Beaaast" (French: la Bêêête du Gévaudan).

With a name associated with such a powerful fluff, I wonder why there is no Hydra?
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Patrizzo
Malekith's Personal Guard

Re: The House of Gévaudan (DE 2250 points)

Post by Patrizzo »

WarpGhost wrote:Sorceress (lvl2, Wand of Kaidron) 175p

The wand doesn't exist anymore, ie you can't include it in your army.
Pulchritudo in oculis spectatore est ...
Warpghost
Guardian of Montreford

Post by Warpghost »

grez90 wrote:i'm thinking possibly the pendant of khaeleth for protection, and a unit of harpies for cover
Something I was thinking. Harpies and the Heartstone add up conveniently to 100 points.
Amarel wrote:I definitely have some concerns over the safety of your High Sorc - especially as she's mounted so unable to hide with the same ease of a walking Sorc.
Do you think having her on foot would be a good move?
Amarel wrote:I am also not 100% convinced by the CoK; although the Cold-Blooded Banner makes them a better choice, it also bumps up the cost quite bit (with the standard bearer taken into consideration). And I think Witch Elves will only make it in if I also have the CoB to make them more worthwhile.
These have the War Banner, not the cold-blood one. I know a lot of players are dubious about COK; I havent been able to make my mind up myself. It just seems heavy cavalry is just too good in WHFB to automatically pass up the opportunity on, even if it isnt 100% reliable. Plus COK are quite a cool concept. I just dont have much experience with COK; are they really as bad as people make out?
As for the Witch Elves, id very probably take my CoB if I also had a unit of Executioners. With just 1 Khainiate unit, im not sure if its worth 200+ points to slightly benefit 1 unit (as if WE are using Stubborn, it seems to me theyre probably preyy screwed anyway).
Calisson wrote:I appreciate the choice of the name.
The Beast of Gévaudan was probably an exceptional wolf but it stays vivid in the memories of central France as "The Beaaast" (French: la Bêêête du Gévaudan).
With a name associated with such a powerful fluff, I wonder why there is no Hydra?
Well, I had the idea for the name in the last edition, thinking primarily of the fact that the Beast was thought to be the 'pet' of a sadistic group or individual. Which also fits the DE. Of course, now we have improved Manticores and especially Hydras, so the option of taking an actual 'Beast' is competitive too. Im just unsure.
Just giving my Z$100bn.

Amarel
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Amarel »

I used to run a level 4 on foot and then a level 2 on a Dark Steed - this worked well as your opponent has to make a decision between the more immediate threat, and the more powerful threat.

My mention of the Cold-Blooded Banner was based on my opinion, rather than your list, sorry for the confusion. The fear that people (myself included) have is that the CoK might fail their LD test at just the wrong time. Especially when you consider that for the same sort of cost you could take two chariots (adding redundancy) or a Hydra (which is a really tasty prospect now).

Stubborn is for Khainite only, but aren't the turn by turn benefits able to be applied to any unit? This is the real bonus of the Cauldron for me.
Still Serving Slaanesh
Owner of one too many armies...
Drek
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Drek »

WarpGhost wrote: I just dont have much experience with COK; are they really as bad as people make out?

Setting up a juicy charge and having them fail their stupidity test can be devastating AND demoralizing. It's not fun. I have a friend and whenever we talk about Dark Elves he always says "Did I ever tell you about the time my Cold Ones failed stupidity and got charged by Dwarves?" That happened about seven years ago, and he's still scarred.

They're a nice unit, but that stupidity...ugh. Take the Cold Blood Banner.

WarpGhost wrote: With just 1 Khainiate unit, im not sure if its worth 200+ points to slightly benefit 1 unit (as if WE are using Stubborn, it seems to me theyre probably preyy screwed anyway).

It's not just the stubborn- it's the +1 attack you can give to any unit (I think), including COK's, making them devastating. And the options the Cauldron gives can really make WE better- 5+ ward, Killing Blow, it's good stuff. But it IS pricey. I haven't figured out what to do with the Cauldron myself yet.
Joey_boy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Joey_boy »

mm, I'd start with spending 25p one the pearl of bleakness for your BSB and having him with the warriors. I'd also recomend moving the WarBanner to the warriors and giving the CoK the coldblooded banner to help with stupidety on the all important turn when they will be charging something.
This will give the Warriors a soft CR of 6-7 aswell as the attacks from the BSB. A really solid unit with all the new VC and deamons out there...

For the points left I'd get a unit of harpies, or two if you can find some more points(dropping some WE so they are 12 strong perhaps?)

/Johan R
You don´t snuggle with Max Power, you just strap on and feel the G´s!

Swedish ranking page and forum
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

If you are in a play environment that still allows the Wand -- which many would not -- I would give it to your level 4. The reason being is that the Wand is relatively short-ranged for a magic missile, and so you could benefit from the greater mobility of the Dark Steed to make sure you have the range.

Also, If you don't want people to tell you that the wand is now illegal, you should put that text in your post in a larger size or in bold or otherwise emphasize it. Don't make it purposefully smaller and then complain when people don't follow your request.
Truly These are the End Times ...
Warpghost
Guardian of Montreford

Post by Warpghost »

Having thought some more about the list and units (especially the thought that i'll be buying the Battalion box) and people's suggestions, here's my second take:

High Sorceress (lvl4, Scroll, Black Staff) - 340p
Master (BSB, Armour of Darkness, great weapon) - 138p
Sorceress (lvl2, Steed, Darkstar) - 172p

2x10 Crossbowmen (shields) - [110] 220p
20 Warriors (Shields, FC) - 155p
5 Dark Riders (rxb, musician) - 117p
20 Corsairs (2hw; FC, Frenzy banner) - 250p

18 Black Guard (FC, Banner of Hag Graef) - 299p
2x 5 COK - [135] 270p
6 Shades (great weapons) - 108p

Hydra 175p

= 2244 points
113 wounds, 9PD + Bound 4, 5DD + scroll

Main changes are:
1) Putting the lvl2 on steed for mobile 'artillery'
2) Swapping the Wand out for the Staff on the High Sorc to allow more potential power and more flexible magic phase, and giving the lvl2 the Cloak to keep up the amount of PD anyway (allowing her either a 3PD spell or a 1PD PoD attempt followed by 2PD Chillwind + possible 2-4PD spell)
3) Swapping smallish and vulnerable Witch Elves for big block of Corsairs, who have similar combat power but pack armour (and better models). I dont really rate Corsairs otherwise except as small flanker units.
4) 2 small COK units for flexibility, hitting power and fast flanking. Not as fast or manouverable as Dark Riders, but significantly more powerful and still faster than Core infantry flankers.
5) RBTs for Hydra. Im not actually that happy at dropping all RBTs but the Hydra hits hard and fits the 'Beast of Gevudan'. I'll need to rely on the RXBs and DRs for countering enemy support units, and Shades for war machine hunting.

Thoughts?
Just giving my Z$100bn.