1200 point list vs HE (need help)

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Whobetta
Black Guard

1200 point list vs HE (need help)

Post by Whobetta »

Ok, so I will be facing my buddy who has a HE army. we decided on an arbitrary amount 1200 (as the smaller the games the quicker they are, since we are slow players)

I am having trouble building a list that I feel good about. I obviously like having all my phases covered but its hard to do with Elves. Please help me with ideas on how to fill in the points left from my "base"

(I have pretty much anything an army could add so don't worry about that)

CORE:
5x Dark Riders w/ Rxb + Mus = 117
5x Dark Riders w/ Rxb + Mus = 117
5x Harpies = 55
5x Harpies = 55 (could drop if need xtra points)

SPECIAL:

5x Cold One Knights = 135 (keeping plain to save points, ideally up Champ)

RARE:

1x Hydra = 175 (want to try him out)

654 points used up, leaving 546 points left...

I would ideally like to make an all around list / all comer but its hard w/ such few points and am having trouble figuring out where to put the rest into.

Also not sure whether to attempt going more Magic heavy (since vs HE) with 2+ lvl2 Sorcs or light, w/ a Master on Manti list.

I also would like to include an assassin for the fun of it, preferably in Shades or a big block of DE warriors.

or I could skimp on my Heroes and go model count adding 2 large blocks of DE Warriors and some Rxbmen.

I just have too many combinations running through my head and could really use some guidance/suggestions!

thanks!
Javert
Beastmaster

Post by Javert »

Against High Elves, I recommend Cold One Chariots over Knights, but it seeing as you don't really have to choose, Knights can work as well.

I'd run a Master with the Armour of Eternal Servitude, Lance, Shield, Sea Dragon Cloak on a Cold One. That's 145pts. Then a Sorceress with 2 Dispel Scrolls. 150pts...251pts left after that. 2 Chariots, Standard Bearer, Dread Knight, Banner of Cold Blood?
"Ghost"

WS: 5
S: 2
T: 2
D: 5
I: 4

Skills: Basic Stealth, Stealth.
Inventory: Shade Cloak, Short Sword, Repeater Handbow, Legran's Token, Six Daggers, 65.5 Gold, Thieves' Tools, Wrist Blades.

Group 19 Moderator
Ptolémée
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Ptolémée »

Mmmmh...
In my opinion, don't try to go in the close vs his elite infantery (white lions, swordmasters, and maybe or maybe not his phoenix guards).

You can try to play "guerilla style".

2x5 dark riders with RxB + mus, 5 harpies, and maybe 10 crossbowmen with shields.

Special, 5 shades with great weapon and with an assassin (rending stars + manbane?) can be good.

The Hydra can be good too !

For your characters, do you want play attack magic ?
If yes, 2 sorceress with famillial focus/dispel scroll and "coat of dark stars"/dispel scroll (to you too choose !).

Or, if you prefer a magical defense, you can take a master on a dark pegasus (or manticore?) + scroll caddy.

This is just my opinion, but it's too you to choose !
Druchii77
Purveyor of Pain

Post by Druchii77 »

At 1200 pt., you won't encounter a lot of magic. A single level 2 with the tome and a scroll could be very effective. Also, If you want to have an all-comers style list, you will need to expand your shooting base a bit, maybe include a unit of crossbows. You could also benefit from a static combat block or warriors. You should try making a cost effective master as your general. The hunter noble on dark steed is an excellent general choice for small games such as these.
castrensis in totus res
Fight my Brutehttp://suckerpunch77.mybrute.com
Try Evony!http://zao77s.evony.com
Whobetta
Black Guard

Post by Whobetta »

Ok, what about this then...

It has ZERO magic, but its kinda fastish...

5x DR, rxb + mus
5x DR, rxb + mus
5x harpies

1x CoC
5x Shades w/GW's
5x CoK

1x Hydra

1x Master, Dark Steed w/M items ~150
1x Master, either DS or CO not sure w/ Mitems ~150

if the masters come to 150 or under thenthe list will be about 1199 or so...

I'm obviously missing things SCR of DE warriors an assassin and a Sorceress.

what are you gonna do....
Crawd
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Crawd »

Humm... I usually like chariots but against Wood Elves, it's really dangerous to use Chariot, who knows when they'll move the forest or makes you charge in a forest...

Sure you can use Chariots against units with immune to psycho, since they can't flee but you have to be really careful with them or they'll just explode.
Javert
Beastmaster

Post by Javert »

Well Crawd, it's a good thing he's going up against High Elves, not Wood Elves, which is an army that happens to lack cannons, and nothing that comes to mind short of a dragon (which they can't run in 1200pts) that has Strength 7.

As for your current list whobetta, though it is a very fast list, the lack of magic lets it down - because as I'm sure you know, High Elves tend to have pretty strong magic. If you swap the Master on Dark Steed for a Sorceress with 2 Dispel Scrolls you'll be set....

Err, I just added up your list and that's 919pts. Including the character's ballpark pt figures. If you add the 5 Harpies you missed from the previous list you're up to 974. So, 226. Another Chariot, a Standard Bearer, a Dread Knight, Banner of Cold Blood...79pts...Another 5 Harpies and the Ring of Hotek for your Cold One Knights.

As for your Master's items, well obviously Lance, Heavy Armour, Shield, Sea Dragon Cloak, Cold One...114pts. Another 46...Hmm, if you drop that last 5 Harpies I mentioned, you could make him a BSB and give him the Hydra Banner. If not, you could give him something like Armour of Eternal Servitude or Hydra Blade and spend the last points on maybe some Light Armour for the Shades, and a Musician for the Cold One Knights.
"Ghost"

Inventory: Shade Cloak, Short Sword, Repeater Handbow, Legran's Token, Six Daggers, 65.5 Gold, Thieves' Tools, Wrist Blades.

Group 19 Moderator
Whobetta
Black Guard

Post by Whobetta »

err is right haha..

I left off the 10 Rxb men which is another 110 points

core = 399
special = 325
rare = 175

is 899.

301 left gave me room for the 2 masters...

I guess I could go Master and then Caddy... yeah.

is 2x5 DR the shades enough shooting? or do I need the Rxb unit?
Javert
Beastmaster

Post by Javert »

I would say that the Dark Riders and the Shades are enough shooting - but then again that's basically what I've got in my army. In general, I'd say that's enough shooting - but it's nowhere near too much, so it's really up to you where you want to put the points. Or where you think they're necessary.
"Ghost"

Group 19 Moderator