Back in Orange - 2500pts all comers list

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Rasputinii
M-A-D

Back in Orange - 2500pts all comers list

Post by Rasputinii »

So I'm looking at getting back into the game after a healthy brake of about 6 years. I've spent weeks pouring over forums and army lists and thinking about which army I want to go with. Initially Chaos, then High Elves, Then Empire, then Chaos, then high elves. Ultimately I guess I just like elves. Fast + Reliable with an inherent frailty makes them fun to play with and challenging to win with. I hadn't really been thinking of playing Druchii again, partly because I heard they were currently thought of as one of the toughest lists out there, and partly because I couldn't make a list I liked - The Cauldron is too strong and I don't like Khainite units nor do I like immobile ones, nor do I like things that everyone hates. So i came up with something I thought was a little different. It seems others on here have had some success with the Dragon Sorceress, so that makes me think it can work.

I liked the idea of a bigger shade unit, but the points cost is ridiculous for T3 no save wounds, and I have never ever been a fan of death stars or even characters in units, my characters tend to follow and auxiliary role in what ever army I play. Not too many eggs in one basket is my thing. Rather have lots of baskets.

So heres the list:

Code: Select all

+++ Druchii Dragon Mage List +++

+ Lords + (615pts)

* Supreme Sorceress (615pts)
        Black Dragon, Level 4 (Dark)
        DE - Pendant of Khaeleth

+ Heroes + (453pts)

* Master (177pts)
        Dark Pegasus, Heavy Armor, Lance, Sea Dragon Cloak
        Black Dragon Egg, Charmed Shield

* Master (139pts)
        Battle Standard Bearer, Cold One, Heavy Armor, Lance, Sea Dragon Cloak, Shield

* Sorceress (137pts)
        Dark Steed, Wizard Level 1 (Metal???),  Dispel Scroll

+ Core + (656pts)

* 21 Dark Elf Corsair Unit (250pts)
          Two Hand Weapons, Musician, Standard, Sea Serpent Standard

* 5 Dark Riders Unit (117pts)
        Musician & Repeater Crossbows

* 5 Harpies Unit (55pts)

+ Special + (402pts)

* Cold One Chariot (100pts)

* 5 Cold One Knight Unit (159pts)
        Musician, Standard Bearer

* 5 Cold One Knight Unit (143pts)
        Musician

+ Rare + (350pts)

* War Hydra (XXXpts)

* War Hydra (XXXpts)

Total: (2476pts)

So I have 24pts to play with, which is nice, I guess.
I've not taken reapers, because well, at 30pts more than HE ones, I don't see the point. If they were cheaper I'd work two in, for sure. I'm already paying through the nose for my caster and dragon compared to a High elf one, I don't want to just piss points away.

I should think the battle plan is fairly obvious. The army has three main points:
1) Corsairs + Chariots
2) COK units + BSB
3) The away Team (Dragon + Master)

I then have the hydras which can be used to support either team one or two. The DR + Harpies can flit between all the other units doing there thing. The BSB works with the two COK units, whilst the lvl1 joins one DR unit, and that unit tried to stay away from trouble. She can't go on foot, because the corsairs would be an awful place to put her, and theres no other infantry.

Magic should be quite strong, and I've got a small amount of shoot + 3(4) Breath weapons to use. I see the army as an elite MSU list, rather durable (for elves) and with plenty of output. Supporting charges are the name of the game.

Very open to all thoughts and suggestions :)
Pleased to be back
strategem
Cold One Knight

Re: Back in Orange - 2500pts all comers list

Post by strategem »

you only have 601 points allocated to core as harpies don't count towards it
Rasputinii
M-A-D

Post by Rasputinii »

That sucks. Well, good thing I have 24pts left over then! I guess I'll take some corsairs or something.
Pleased to be back
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Welcome back! My comments:

1) I don't see much point to the Level 1. Since the Level 4 has no Arcane Item, let her carry the Dispel Scroll and save yourself a bunch of points.

2) Corsairs are great, but only Strength 3. They do very well with Lore of Shadow since either Mindrazor or Withering can make them monsters in combat. With your Level 4 on a Dragon though I would probably take Death both because of the great Snipe spells that a mobile caster can make good use of and because Soulblight is an awesome Hex that works well with a low-strength/high-attack unit like Corsairs.
Truly These are the End Times ...
Rasputinii
M-A-D

Post by Rasputinii »

Hello buddy! Good to "see you".

I agree the lvl 1 is a total point sink. But whilst the big lady has plenty of magic item allowance left floating around, she has basically reached The Lord cap in pts. Bummer. This is especially frustrating because the high elf counterpart is about 60pts cheaper, and so can take magic items. The only way to save the points invested in the second sorceress is to drop down to lvl3, and I'm not mad keen on that.

The corsairs are mainly just there to provide ranks and fight weak infantry. I've never liked to rely on magic to buff combat units, and I like the idea even less with the new way magic works.

You may well be right about the magic lore. I'm not sure myself. I like the idea of replenishing wounds that dark magic offers. And it's easy to cast. That said she is a good platform for death. Might have to play some games to work that out.
Pleased to be back
Rasputinii
M-A-D

Post by Rasputinii »

Here is how the revised list is looking, taking into account needing some more points in the core section, and a few other things. I've decided to try out the RHB on the corsairs, because I really licked the Draich article on the combo, and I think the firepower adds a new dimension and its less commonly used, so thats nice. I'm not sure its a keeper, but worth trying. I also dropped the guns from one unit of DR and gave them shields, and they will be the bodyguard to the sorceress.

Code: Select all

+ Lords + (615pts)

* Supreme Sorceress (615pts)
        Black Dragon, Wizard Level 4 (Death)
                DE - Pendant of Khaeleth

+ Heroes + (453pts)

* Master (177pts)
        Dark Pegasus, Heavy Armor, Lance, Sea Dragon Cloak
        Black Dragon Egg, Charmed Shield

* Master (139pts)
        Battle Standard Bearer, Cold One, Heavy Armor, Lance, Sea Dragon Cloak, Shield

* Sorceress (137pts)
        Dark Steed, Wizard Level 1 (Death)
                Dispel Scroll

+ Core + (686pts)

* 26 Dark Elf Corsair Unit (300pts)
             Handbow, Musician, Standard Bearer
             Sea Serpent Standard

* Dark Riders Unit (97pts)
         Musician, Shield

Musician, Repeater Crossbows

Musician, Repeater Crossbows

* 5 Harpies Unit (55pts)

+ Special + (394pts)

* Cold One Chariot (100pts)

* 5 Cold One Knight Unit (159pts)
        Musician, Standard Bearer

* 5 Cold One Knight Unit (135pts)

+ Rare + (350pts)

* War Hydra (175pts)

* War Hydra (175pts)

I've been thinking more and more about going lvl3 + scroll and dropping the lvl1 for either a cheap second noble on peg or another chariot and more corsairs or even another unit of harpies + 4more COK in the bannered unit. basically all options are better than the second caster to my mind, but can I really handle loosing the 4th lvl of magic. It really harms the offence and defence. Or alternatively can I survive without a scroll? I could put the seal of Ghrond on the BSB?????
Pleased to be back
Cold73
Highborn

Post by Cold73 »

More of a question then anything else...
How stuck are you with your Supreme Sorceress on a Black Dragon?
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Rasputinii
M-A-D

Post by Rasputinii »

To be honest I'm really quite keen on it.
But I may be convinced of a peg mount. Freeing up points for another peg master or two.
Pleased to be back
Cold73
Highborn

Post by Cold73 »

I can imagine you wanting to keep it...it is a lovely model...and personally i love the idea...

the thing i worry about is that you actually don;t want your sorceress in melee...but your dragon needs to be in melee to be safe from cannons.
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Rasputinii
M-A-D

Post by Rasputinii »

I have no problem with the sorceress being in combat. She's a tough lady with the pendant. She just doesn't want lots of attacks coming her way, so frontal charges of ranked units.
Pleased to be back