Tournament List Archive

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Benji
Malekith's Personal Guard

Tournament List Archive

Post by Benji »

Hi Guys,

At the back end of the last book I saw some great threads where a few users pulled together various tournament lists and gave a commentary on how they went at the event.

I thought it would be cool to have one thread where we could do this in the future and create an archive of successful lists.

I would be great if you could post lists that have been used in tournaments, with a bit of info about the event too.
Benji

Re: Tournament List Archive

Post by Benji »

I'll post a link to the 'best' lists here, if this thread takes off!
Omnichron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Omnichron »

Sounds like a great idea. I'll give it a shot for the tournament at the end of this month (and will get a decent battle report with it too... something like the last one I made :) )
Personal quote: "It's better to do little damage and lose nothing than to do lots of damage and lose everything."
Final tournament score for 7th DE book in 8th edition - W/D/L: 25/5/10
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Great idea! I'll even give it a sticky once there are a handful lists.
How will we decide successful though?
Top 10 in tournament? Top 5?
Or maybe top 10% so success will dependbon size of the tournament?
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Canadianguy
Dark Rider

Post by Canadianguy »

I like the percent idea.
xFallenx
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by xFallenx »

Yeah, I vote percent as well. There are a fair few 1 day events here in the city that have 20-25 players and a couple of annual's that can get up to 70-80 total players. Can’t wait to see what shakes out.
Oct 2013-Current: 3-2-0
Benji

Post by Benji »

First offering for this one is my own.

The Bjorn Supremacy event was played using Swedish comp and had around 100 players.

I finished top Dark Elf and 14th place after letting an 8 point tournament lead in game 5 slip away and losing to 1st and 3rd overall.

This is the full list I used including items.

Supreme Sorceress, Lore of Light, Ring of Hotek, Dispel Scroll
Master, Great Weapon, Heavy Armour, Sea Dragon Cloak, Battle Standard Bearer, Dragonhelm, Dawn Stone.
Master, Dark Steed, Lance, Pair/ Handbows, Heavy Armour, Sea Dragon Cloak, Charmed Shield, Luckstone
Master, Dark Steed, Lance, Repeater Crossbow, Heavy Armour, Sea Dragon Cloak, Shield, Dragon Bane Gem
Sorceress, Lore Of Light, Lv2.
Sorceress, Lore Of Light, Lv2.
10 Darkshards, Mu.
5 Dark Riders, RXB, Shields.
5 Dark Riders, RXB, Shields.
27 Dreadspears, FC
5 Harpies,
Reaper Bolt Thrower,
Reaper Bolt Thrower,
21 Har Ganeth Executioners, Mu, St. Gleaming Pennant.
21 Har Ganeth Executioners, Mu, St.
Bloodwrack Shirine,

Here is the link to a report of the games and thoughts on the list - http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?p=887873#p887873
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

That's a great idea, Ben! I'll asssist however I can.
For the sake of statistics, would it be possible for entries to provide the following information?

Date of tournament:
Final rank (combat only if possible):
Number of contenders:
Did this rank include fluff scores: (yes/no)
Rulespack:

I might try to build a data model for this, so we can make fancy statistics for it.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Dalamar wrote:Great idea! I'll even give it a sticky once there are a handful lists.

If we keep track of both rank achieved and the number of contenders, we could make far more interesting queries than simply a percentage.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Benji

Post by Benji »

Next up is;

Mike Norton - Da Boyz GT 1st Overall - http://daboyzgt.com/fantasy-results/

Morathi

Master, Pegasus, Cloak of Twilight; Heavy Armour; Lance; Sea Dragon Cloak; Shield
Master, dark steed, Dragonhelm; Dawnstone; Potion Foolhardiness; Heavy Armour; Halberd; Sea Dragon Cloak; Battle Standard Bearer.

2x 10 Dark Shards, St, Mu.
20 Witch Elves, St, Mu, flaming banner
10 corsairs, Handbows, St, Mu.

2 Bolt Throwers
2x 5 Shades, GW
2x 5 Harpies

2x 7 Warlocks
Kharibdyss

I know Mike reads these forums so maybe he will add some notes in the list.
Benji

Post by Benji »

Daeron wrote:...

I'll dig it out and add it later.
Benji

Post by Benji »

This one is a bit vague I'm afraid!

Corey Reynolds - 2nd overall - Da Boys GT

Fighty lord on steed,
Level4 death on steed,
2x fighty hero’s on steeds (stubborn helm on one),
2x 10 dark riders,
2x5 dark riders,
2x shades,
kharibdyss,
10 warlocks,
5 warlocks,
3x bolt throwers

Again, pretty sure Mike can flesh this out.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Daeron wrote:
Dalamar wrote:Great idea! I'll even give it a sticky once there are a handful lists.

If we keep track of both rank achieved and the number of contenders, we could make far more interesting queries than simply a percentage.

True, I just wanted to keep it simple.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Norton
Slave on the Altar

Post by Norton »

So as Ben had suggested, I want to add some comments into the list and how it fared over that weekend.

First, a little background about the tourney itself. It markets itself as a well rounded hobby/gamer tourney so it's a bit heavier on the paint/sports side of things for the US market. To this end, special characters are allowed, and it's heavy on the scenarios. In the past 'scoring units' have been required for completing almost all of the scenarios so many of my list considerations take this into account. To be a scoring unit, you had to have at least one non-character command model alive in the unit.

In addition to the concessions made for maxing scoring units, the army has become a bit of a painting project so I needed to use a lot of already painted models from the past book. I'll find a link to some pics of the army to add here as well.

Now some general list building thoughts:

Morathi - on paper the bonus +d3 to cast and being able to split spells seemed really strong. In reality it was 'ok' most of the time but her total lack of LOS and only a 4++ meant she died most games. Largely this was matchup dependent so the 2 O&G gunlines and the dwarfs just pulped her with indirect shots making for some uphill battles.

Master, Pegasus, Cloak of Twilight; Heavy Armour; Lance; Sea Dragon Cloak; Shield - pretty standard kit, i think this will be a fairly universal add-in for many armies. The peg hero model I have put togeather is one of my favorites from the army, so he'll see play in every list i write in some fashion. He was good in every game, wouldn't change a thing here.
Master, dark steed, Dragonhelm; Dawnstone; Potion Foolhardiness; Heavy Armour; Halberd; Sea Dragon Cloak; Battle Standard Bearer. - Usuall ran around in one of the warlock units. Capable of solo-charging squishy blocks to tie them up or kill chaff/warmachines handily. Might change to Sword of Might/Dawnstone combo instead but that's kinda 50/50 in my book.

2x 10 Dark Shards, St, Mu. - Remnants from the last army book, these were 'ok' in every game, helps to add fortitude and stationary scoring units. I would love to eventually replace these with 2x6 dark riders but time constraints on painting new models before the tourney didnt allow.
20 Witch Elves, St, Mu, flaming banner - I'm 50/50 on hte flaming banner's inclusion here but being worried about the wall-o-nurgle I thought it wise in the end. Ends up they chases trolls and otherwise the flaming banner had zero effect on the weekend. Another unit that the unit size was forced by the models i had available to me. I had previously only ever used 2x7 witch elf units, so a quick unit filler plus the witches popped off my old cauldron of blood to pump them up to 20. Would love to push these to 30 strong in the future.
10 corsairs, Handbows, St, Mu. - Purely here to fill core, It was either these or like 12 spearmen. Used to be a horde of 30 in the old book but just can't see it these days. Not with the handbows like they are modeled with at least. Most games these were just an expensive chaff unit or a bunker for a character to sit in to not collect arrows to the face.

2 Bolt Throwers - standard fare. 140 pts for 2 is spot on. These will see play frequently for me. Never great but never bad either.
2x 5 Shades, GW, musicians. - The musicians were again added to make these scouting scoring units. They were rather key in my overall standings as their ability to hide early and come out late game in deployment zones to squat on objctives earned me several battle points a game.
2x 5 Harpies - pretty mediocre with the new panic rules for them and their move out of core. They were included as i don't have any more shades or any dark riders painted. Plus they look really pretty. I'm a paint-whore at the end of the day.

2x 7 Warlocks w/ masters - Good, just good. Any qty but I went with 7's so i could keep a LOS for a round or two for whatever unit the BSB happened to be in. Champs solely to make the units scoring with high movement potential.
Kharibdyss - Pretty 'ok' unit again. Not points wasted but nobody is going to cry foul about the beast either. Got off Feast of Bones against a savage orc great shaman game 2. That made me happy but otherwise he tended to be picked upon as the only solid target in the army to point a cannon at. (assuming morathi was already safe/dead).

Lineup for the weekend was as follows (roughly, not 100% on points scored as it's been a couple weeks):

O&G - 9-11 in his favor with max bonus points to me. He had the tourney TM build and it worked. Morathi eventually died around turn 2 from repeated stone thrower/doom diver shots. I killed off his chaff / warmachines with little other losses. My many scoring units ran around and claimed objectives.

O&G 18-2 to me, max bonus. Very similar to game 1 but morathi lived to turn 4 or so before dying to another stone to the face. Keeping her in the game longer plus assassinating the level 4 with a feast of bones from the kraken early on let me do massive damage in the magic phase to safely clean up chaff/warmachines at range before closing on the savage orc horde in the final turns to grind them dead.

Tomb Kings 20-0 to me. He played Arkhan plus the usual assortment, no catapults though. Arkhan died to repeated death pokes from morathi. The witch elves plus warlocks with character support blew through most of the army by themselves with the shooty portion of my army hiding in the rear.

Dwarfs - 11-9 to me? 3/4 bonus points? Something like that. He played 2 massive units (hammerers / long beards) plust anvil, 2x stone throwers, cannon, organ gun, etc. Don't think i got a single spell off all game (he's +5 dice, i'm -1, and he's got 2-3 scrolls) Morathi again died to indirect stone thrower shots on top of turn 2.. Pout. I managed to keep almost everything else alive while dancing around the 2 big blocks and scoring all his war machines, engineers, and his small warrior block. The epitome of negative game play experience. No offence to the player, he was great but i hated the army.

Dark elves - very similar list (see above, it was Corey Reynolds.) The TO had put up an offer of a case of beer to the man that could beat Corey as he has won the Daboyz GT for the past 6 years. This ended 11-9 in my favor (13-12 after bonus points). Corey still insists that 11-9 is draw territory though. ;)

This was the best game of the weekend by far. Went to time in the end as our movement phases and shooting phases just took too long and all the fast cav made for a very fun experience in the end. He played all the characters in the big warlock unit (stubborn helm, Ring of hotek where in there somewhere, not sure who had which anymore) so the big death star got fed chaff / tied up with the suicide peg hero, etc while the rest focused on killing dark riders, bolt throwers and shades.

In the end I took First overall, Best Painted, and Best Dark elf. (obv). Great weekend, I'd reccemend it to anyone who is in the area next year.

One last highlight, The first place 'trophy' is a beer stein engraved with the date/event. If a winner brings it to future events it is filled for free for the duration of the event. :lol:

EDIT - Garagehammer Forum post where I put up pics of the army - skip till the end unless you want to see all the WIP shots. http://garagehammer.net/forum/index.php?topic=2034.0
Murdock
Slave on the Altar

Post by Murdock »

Benji wrote:This one is a bit vague I'm afraid!

Corey Reynolds - 2nd overall - Da Boys GT

Fighty lord on steed,
Level4 death on steed,
2x fighty hero’s on steeds (stubborn helm on one),
2x 10 dark riders,
2x5 dark riders,
2x shades,
kharibdyss,
10 warlocks,
5 warlocks,
3x bolt throwers

Again, pretty sure Mike can flesh this out.

Here's the details on my list.

Dreadlord - steed, dawnstone, giant blade, OTS
Death level 4 - steed, RoH, scroll
Master bsb - steed, cloak of twilight, lance
Master - steed, lance, crown of command, dragonbane gem

2 x 9 Dark Rider - std, mu
2 x 5 Dark Rider - mu
3 rbt
2 x 5 shades - GW
8 Warlocks
5 Warlocks
Kraken

Game 1 vs Woc

Nurgle DP, 2 chimeras, fast cav, Trogg and 2 x Trolls, 3++ bsb,

Big win for me. Death magic and RBTs got the DP death sniped one chimera, the other fought warlocks for 5 rounds of combat until DR came into the flank. Purple sun took care of Throggs Trolls, the other trolls got beaten by the character bus. I did get Feast of Bones off on Trogg but he mad 7 Regens to stay alive and smash the Kraken.

Game 2 vs Nurgle demons

Decent win for me. Early purple sun through the Drones took them out and removed any threat to my mobility, so I danced the rest of the game. Took me a while to shoot down the single beasts. I sniped Epidemuis, Skillcannon went down. I was up big then a 4 dice Purple Sun miscast my level 4 to death, and it was a misfire on top of that. Even then, I left one wound on GuO and 1 plague bearer out of a 30 man block, if I was able to get either of those, it would have been a big win.

Game 3 vs WoC nurgle DP, chariots, Nurgle warrior bunker, hellcannon, crushers, 3++bsb

Minor win for me. He played very smart, trying to keep me in front of him, but he never could commit his DP. I was able to take out chariots with shooting and doombolts. Kraken got into the hellcannon and got off the feast of bones. Sniped a lvl 2. Was able to redirect crushers off the board. So I did not give up a lot of points and scored enough for a small win.

Game 4 vs HE 2 frost Phoenix.

Big win for me. Lots of infantry and fast cav with no bows, so I had a huge advantage. Focused fire took out one unit of white lions. Kraken and warlocks took out another lion unit with level 4 and bsb. Purple sun got me one frosty. Was able to pick of all fast cav and archers, bus grinds down Phoenix guard.

Game 5 vs Norton's DE

Great game as Norton's report shows, lots of maneuvering and target priority was key. I tought it was a 10-10 draw with mike getting bonus points on me, but maybe he did edge me out here.

The list I feel is incredibly powerful. You can engage on your terms. Preserving points is easy against armies you can't fight. If I were to tweak, I would drop the kraken for more warlocks, and split the Dark Riders into smaller units for more chaff. The bus is rock solid with the RoH in there people just avoided casting at it, so it was relatively untouched and able to get where it needed to be.
Rasputinii
M-A-D

Post by Rasputinii »

This is a great thread. Thanks to everyone for sharing and for their write ups. A great read.

I feel like this fast cav bus type list is going to rapidly become the IT list.
It's very strong. Offering a powerhouse unit with far more flexibility than most Death Stars. Being able to split the characters up and still house them, as well as just all together change bunker is ver powerul. Lots of good synergies with different lores. Very strong against WoC too. I bet we'll see a lot of these before too long. And then in response a shift back to BS shooting ;)
Pleased to be back
Benji

Post by Benji »

Sheffield Slaughter 2014

Date of tournament: 31 Jan/1st Feb 2014
Final rank (combat only if possible): 2nd. Won 2nd overall and Best General
Number of contenders:96
Did this rank include fluff scores: yes. 2nd on battle points too
Rulespack: 2000 points. No comp. GW scenarios modified slightly.

Supreme Sorceress: Dispel Scroll; Talisman of Preservation; Level 4 Wizard; Lore of Death; Dark Steed. 310

Master: Cloak Of Twilight; Dark Pegasus; lance; heavy armour; shield; Sea Dragon Cloak. 188
Master: Ring Of Hotek; Dark Steed; lance; heavy armour; shield; Sea Dragon Cloak; Battle Standard. 173
Master: Sword of Might; Dawnstone; Enchanted Shield; Dark Steed; Sea Dragon Cloak. 136

10 Dark Riders: Standard Bearer; shield; repeater crossbow. 210
5 Dark Riders: shield; repeater crossbow. 100
18 Witch Elves: Musician; Standard Bearer; Banner of Eternal Flame. 228

Reaper Bolt Thrower 70
Reaper Bolt Thrower 70
Reaper Bolt Thrower 70
Reaper Bolt Thrower 70

10 Doomfire Warlocks 250
5 Doomfire Warlocks 125

2,000 points

Cheers,
Ben.
Fallout
Slave on the Altar

Post by Fallout »

In Murdock's list...

Dreadlord - steed, dawnstone, giant blade, OTS
Death level 4 - steed, RoH, scroll
Master bsb - steed, cloak of twilight, lance
Master - steed, lance, crown of command, dragonbane gem

2 x 9 Dark Rider - std, mu
2 x 5 Dark Rider - mu
3 rbt
2 x 5 shades - GW
8 Warlocks
5 Warlocks
Kraken

How/in which units were the characters deployed?
Mikael.k
Black Guard

Post by Mikael.k »

Guessing either with the dark riders or warlocks. Most likely jumping between the two once the units start getting depleted.