More buckeye prep

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

TheArmoredRock
Slave on the Altar

More buckeye prep

Post by TheArmoredRock »

So trying to stay over comp 8.0 for buckeye upcoming I've been playing with this list. Would love some feedback.

SS, lvl4 shadow, black amu, scroll

Hag, cauldron
Mast, BSB, sdc, pot of fool, ha, GW
Mast on Peg, CoT, Ha, Lance

28 witches FC, razor standard
15 Crossbows, flaming banner, std/muso
5 Dark Riders Std/muso, shld, xbow

2xRBT
7 shades, Std/muso, Lt arm and GW
14 Exec, FC and swift banner

2x5 warlocks
Medusa

SS in the xbows, BSB in the Exec.

Scores an 8.3 in Swedish.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Re: More buckeye prep

Post by Dalamar »

That unit of execs looks sad and fragile and where do you plan to put the supreme sorceress?
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

SS, lvl4 shadow, black amu, scroll
Black Amulet doesn't make sense to me unless you want this girl in a combat unit. But as much as I love Shadow, if you are going to put her in a combat unit, I would take Dark Lore so that you have a possibility of boosting her number of wounds (and Dark is a really good lore in its own right anyway). Bottom line for me is that Lore of Shadow and Black Amulet don't make a lot of sense together. I would do 1 of 2 things:
1) Keep the Amulet, switch her lore to Dark magic and run her in a combat unit; or
2) Keep Shadow, deploy her with you crossbows, and switch the Black Amulet to the Ring of Hotek (in the crossbow unit, you won't see combat much so MR is better than a regular ward since it protects the unit as well as giving the caster defense against Death and other sniping spells).

Hag, cauldron
Mast, BSB, sdc, pot of fool, ha, GW
I really don't like my BSB to be this fragile. I would give him Dawnstone and Enchanted Shield to protect him and just roll with the hand weapon. You combat units have plenty of punch already and a great weapon is not really needed. This guy should try to stay alive and give Leadership rerolls.
Mast on Peg, CoT, Ha, Lance
No shield? No Sea Dragon Cloak? Spend that handful of points and max out his armor.

28 witches FC, razor standard
15 Crossbows, flaming banner, std/muso
5 Dark Riders Std/muso, shld, xbow

No complaints here. However, if you decide that the crossbows are the best place for your level 4, consider Standard of Discipline for them so that she can project Leadership 10. In that case I would also try to add a champ to the unit to challenge any lone characters that charge in to try to assassinate the Level 4.

2xRBT
7 shades, Std/muso, Lt arm and GW
Extra hand weapon is a statistically better choice than a great weapon in the majority of situations. And if you are running Shadow lore, that difference becomes even greater since the extra attacks can really take advantage of Mindrazor or Withering. In order to get the points for the little toys on your characters, you could drop this unit down by a model or two and/or lose the standard.
14 Exec, FC and swift banner
Since they strike in Initiative order now, I think a unit of 14 Execs can be viable. You just have to be careful with them.

2x5 warlocks
Medusa
I'm not sold on the lone medusa unless you have a mobile general to control Frenzy, and you don't.
Truly These are the End Times ...
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

I like the Black Amulet on a Sorceress; 4+ ward for absorbing miscasts and enemy direct damage...and for an extra 15 points the chance to assassinate any assassins sent after her.

Otherwise I agree with Dyvim's comments.
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Gerner
Noble

Post by Gerner »

Dyvim tvar wrote:Black Amulet doesn't make sense to me unless you want this girl in a combat unit. But as much as I love Shadow, if you are going to put her in a combat unit, I would take Dark Lore so that you have a possibility of boosting her number of wounds (and Dark is a really good lore in its own right anyway).

From game experience I can tell you that it rarely happens.
Often there are more important spells, it scatters off and have a hard time making wounds.
If dark I would go Book of Asur + Talisman of Endurance every day.
TheArmoredRock
Slave on the Altar

Post by TheArmoredRock »

Cool thanks for the feedback. I will clarify a couple things.

-Totally understand on the SS and my plan is for her to be in the Xbows. Items are easily changed.

- on the BSB, I forgot to list he has a 4+ ward (ToP)

-that Peg character is fully equipped, I forgot to put the other stuff in the post.

- shades are easily adjusted

-Medusa was literally to fill out points. Any suggestions?
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

If you have the models, add some bodies to the Execs. Might put you in a Swedish spit you don't want though ...
TheArmoredRock
Slave on the Altar

Post by TheArmoredRock »

Ok couple questions...

In regards to the flaming banner, what about dealing with beasts of Nurgle and anything that regens?

How do you feel if I wold drop the medusa and 1 shade and replace that with a cold 1 chariot?
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

TheArmoredRock wrote:Ok couple questions...

In regards to the flaming banner, what about dealing with beasts of Nurgle and anything that regens?

How do you feel if I wold drop the medusa and 1 shade and replace that with a cold 1 chariot?

Flaming banner versus Discipline is a tough call, but I have lost entire games due to single failed leadership tests that I would have passed with a Ld 10 general that I go Discipline. Think about moving the Flaming banner to the Execs if you are worried about Regen monsters.

I think a chariot could be a good option instead of the Medusa.