A New Druchii - Advice needed on the 'Warhost of Nargaroth.'

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Nazgolith
Slave (off the Altar)

A New Druchii - Advice needed on the 'Warhost of Nargaroth.'

Post by Nazgolith »

Greetings fellow Druchii - you have a new recruit.

As stoked as I am to be back into the game, I would really appreciate some guidance from the more experienced Dreadlords out there.
There are already a number of posts along these lines, though I have a few queries involving the new kits and the best course of action in amassing my warhost.

First up, what are your thoughts on the new 'Warhost of Nargaroth' starter kit?
I am tempted to get started with it - however, after what i've read I'm unsure as to whether I want to pay for two boxes of Dreadspears/etc.
It seems there are better core choices - the Corsairs and Witchelves to be exact - and as such I'm not sure whether to go for this kit.

You all seem quite mixed on Bleakshards - I like the idea of raining down death though it seems more often then not I will not be getting the 'death' I require.

So all in all, basically i'm in need of some guidance of the pro's and con's of this set - I'm in love with all the other models, and the Fleetmaster will be fun to paint and would be utilized as a champion for the Corsairs, though as I've said, I'm hesistant in regards to the other core units - I'm a broke student, so money has to be spent to the best value (wrong hobbie to pick I know).

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Omnichron
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: A New Druchii - Advice needed on the 'Warhost of Nargaro

Post by Omnichron »

My thoughts is that the set is a decent start to get some basic units that works quite well... and as you might understand from that, is that it's a set I wouldn't have bought as it doesn't give me what I need for tournament lists.

From the things in that set, I only really field the Cold one Knights... 10 of them. I sometimes go for the Cold one Chariot, and rarely for crossbowmen and corsairs. I never field the spears/swords as I think that the other core choices can do so much more.

If I was to start up all over again, I'd go for 2 boxes of witch elves (maybe one cool looking witch elf extra as champ, so you can get 21 of them) and 2 boxes of dark riders. With that, you have a really good core.

As for special/rare, it depends a bit more on what kind of units you both like and what kind of style you want to play.

For close combat, I'd got for cold one knights and/or executioners. Both packs a good punch into your army. Two cold one knight boxes is a decent size, while you might want 3 of executioners to get a horde.

For some good shooting, I'd go for shades. They are so nice to move around and about, dashing out damage against fast cav, skirmishers, small chaff units and taking care of warmachines. Since those models from GW are a bit old (but decent looking still), I'd personally check around a bit to either find some nice looking miniatures of plastic, or maybe use the shadow warriors chestpiece (and lower body too maybe), together with corsairs arms and heads.

If you add 2 Reaper bolt throwers to the mix, you threaten your enemies with some good ranged shooting and keep flying single characters at bay quite easily.

You should also have at least one unit of Warlocks... They are good casters and cheap for what they can do. 2 of them and you can either have a bigger unit of them or two small units.

Monsters... you could go for the Kharibdyss... it's good, although can't take too much wounds.

Your lords/heroes is better off being quite quick (that's what we see the most these days). A pegasus master is great as he gains more T and an extra wound on the pegasus. A sorceress on a dark steed is also great as you can then either field her as lvl 4 or lvl 2 (lord/hero) together with the warlocks unit (or the dark riders)... and then you can use shorter ranged lores quite easily. A normal master/lord on a dark steed is great too, so you have a few options of what you can run.

Those are my advices thus far at least... Once you get a few things together, you can add more dark riders or try out other units like corsairs (or even more Witch elves if you like them).
Personal quote: "It's better to do little damage and lose nothing than to do lots of damage and lose everything."
Final tournament score for 7th DE book in 8th edition - W/D/L: 25/5/10
nevaenuffbass
Warrior

Post by nevaenuffbass »

I agree with pretty much Omnichron said. My fave units are executioners, Cold on knights, cold one chariots & warlocks. But I rarely fit both executioners and cold one knights in the same list, so if I had budget issues, wouldn't want to buy both. But even after playing a dozen or so games can't decide which I like better.

But there are lots of ways to play the dark elves, and you'll find your own style.

Your concerns about the core choice is warranted. Choosing core is a little bit of deciding which is least bad- but having said that, plenty of people are having good results with dreadspears, bleakswords and darkshards. Small units of darkshards are good for killing chaff and scaring elven infantry (although not as good as shades, but shades won't fill your core). Corsairs have good armour and lots of attacks but are limited by S3 and no reliable way of boosting it. Witches compensate for that by having poison & even more attacks through frenzy, but really suffer the absence of a save. It still seems popular to use the swords or spears to form a bunker for a level 4.

Hence if you bought one of the boxes, you'd find a use for the models, even if it is just playtesting to find your style. Try writing a list you'd like to play, getting feedback on it, and continuuing from there.
Nazgolith
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Nazgolith »

Wicked - thanks alot guys.

Few more questions, these may seem daft but some clarification would be much appreciated.

Witchelves - yeah I love'em, and after having a proper think about their poisoned attacks and the amount of attacks they'll be throwing out I realize their sheer potency, especially in regards to their versatility. The only concern I have is their lack of armor save. I really don't wanna see my girls getting decimated long range before they get to unleash. Any thoughts tactically on how this can be negated somewhat? This is the thing that's making me lose sleep on the WE vs Corsairs debate.

Dark Riders - again, awesome. I see that these guys could provide the defence needed for the WE by destroying long-range nuisances I may (will) encounter. What thoughts have you got on fielding them? I'll take shields, but what about the crossbows? And if these are taken, are the spears then negated? And depending on how their fielded, can you help me out with some general tactics?

Really appreciate the help guys - I'll be picking up my first unit tomorrow, gotta admit I'm freakin excited.
phlewis
Trainee Warrior

Post by phlewis »

To make Witch Elves more durable take the CoB it grants them a 5++ ward. The Cauldron also buffs Murderous Prowess so that they get to reroll all failed to wound rolls. You can also cast the Frenzy spell from the CoB to give the WE another attack or give the Death Hag witchbrew for a more dependable Frenzy.

With the Dark Riders I recommend both the shield and the RXB. You get a ranged attack, a better armour save, can still use the spear, and can redirect or hunt warmachines and chaff.