Ras's return to the Druchii.... trying to be nasty!

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Rasputinii
M-A-D

Ras's return to the Druchii.... trying to be nasty!

Post by Rasputinii »

So I'm in the middle of a project making an Ind themed WoC army. you can see it here.... http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthrea ... f-Ind-Plog

However ever since this book came out I've been yurning to play Druchii again. I'm trying not to, because at the moment I'm armyless (just the one WIP) and I've not played much warhammer in the last 5 years. But damn if the new Dark elves aren't up my street.

So I've been gently toying with quatermaster, and at the moment this is the list I'm most keen on....

Supreme Sorceress: Talisman of Preservation; Dispel Scroll; Ironcurse Icon; Level 4 Wizard; Lore of Death (OR NOT??); Black Dragon. 595

Master: Dark Steed; Heavy Armour; Lance; Brace of Repeater Hand Bows; Sea Dragon Cloak; Shield. 110
Master: Crown of Command; Dragonhelm; Dark Steed; Heavy Armour; Halberd; Brace of Repeater Hand Bows; Sea Dragon Cloak; Battle Standard Bearer. 170
Master: Cloak of Twilight; Dark Pegasus; Heavy Armour; Lance; Brace of Repeater Hand Bows; Sea Dragon Cloak; Shield. 200

5 Dark Riders: Musician; Standard Bearer; Shield; Repeater Crossbows. 120
5 Dark Riders: Musician; Shield; Repeater Crossbows. 110
15 Darkshards: Musician; Standard Bearer; Banner of Eternal Flame. 210

Reaver Bolt Thrower XX
Reaver Bolt Thrower XX
Reaver Bolt Thrower XX
5 Harpies XX
5 Shades XX
7 Shades: Great Weapons. 126

5 Doomfire Warlocks XXX
5 Doomfire Warlocks XXX

2,496 points

I guess its a fairly conventional avoidance list. But it has a T3 naked chick on a Dragon.
I've always like Spellcasters on Dragons. I know they suck a bit, but I do really like. That said I'm acutely aware that I could drop it and get a Dred Lord (or high beastmaster :))

The idea is to the damage from afar and then use the characters to combo charge the hell out of depleted and isolated units.

I'm not sure on the lore for the boss woman. Death is the obvious one, but why be obvious?
The BSB is a bit weird. I didn't really want a BSB but they're too important not to have, so I didn't know what to do. I liked the idea of three manticores too.... but oh well.

I'd be interested to discuss and love for you to nitpick, I'm a bit scattered. I feel like the idea is there, but the execution is a little all over the place.
Last edited by Rasputinii on Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pleased to be back
Datalink7
Noble

Re: Ras's return to the Druchii.... trying to be nasty!

Post by Datalink7 »

I don't like a Sorceress on a Dragon. A dragon wants to get into combat. A sorceress does not. So you have conflicting interests there.

Much better to put the sorceress on a Dark Peg. Alternatively, you can put her in a dark Steed and throw her in a Dark Riders unit (maybe bump it up a few more models for wounds).
Ashes and Diamons,
Foe and Friend,
We are all equal,
In the End.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Are you sure a sorceress doesn't want to get into combat? ;)

Arm her with Black Amulet and Other Trickster's Shard, leaves enough points for Dispel Scroll (yeah, she'll be 25 points more so 2500 points game... or drop the scroll and we're good!)
Then give her Lore of Beasts.
Impenetrable Pelt and Savage Beast (soo... 4 S6 attacks and T6... plus dragon's 5 S6 attacks and T6)
I think she's a pretty nasty combat option. In a pinch you can go for Wildform to make the dragon S/T7 too.

Of course in those situations the dragon is the weak link so I would rather keep her with dark magic. Power of Darkness for the dragon (S7) and she remains a little fragile sorceress... until enemy combat lord puts all his attacks on her in a challenge... and half of them bounce back on him!
Word of Pain will make the unit she's fighting ineffective... and Shroud of Despair will allow her to break even steadfast units from time to time (steadfast on Ld7 is not the same as Ld10 with reroll)
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Rasputinii
M-A-D

Post by Rasputinii »

Beasts is definitely one of the options up there. But I also really like the idea of shadow.
Whilst I agree datalink that the Sorceress is fragile, and not a big fan of combat, she is also expensive and a a disaster if your magic gets shut down, or she forgets her spells, or miscasts and dies. I'm a fan of models and units that can participate in the game in more than one way, more than one phase. The dragon sorceress does that. She rapes chaff and casts magic and causes terror and breathes fire. And then when you need a dragon in a combi-charge, she brings it, still casting all the time. Its probably not as super as other choices, but its not a right off.

I think the biggest problem in this list is she is threat number 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and five and six and..... shes the only expensive thing, and shes not that tough. There aren't that many other threats in the list. If I had 4 monsters and a big bus of COK then maybe she could do her thing, but as is, that's not going to happen. And that's the main reason I'm not sure about her. I want to use her very much, but I could get much more mileage out of another combo I think
Pleased to be back
Ichiyo1821
Highborn

Post by Ichiyo1821 »

I thought I was looking at a 6th edition list Haha. Surprisingly this list will work against some armies out there. Totally frustrating to fight against.
8th Edition

W/D/L
86/1/5

New AB
W/D/L
32/1/0

9th Age
W/D/L

Vae Victis
Character kill count -182

"To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill."

Armies
Dark Elves
Dark Eldar
Death Korps of Kreig
Datalink7
Noble

Post by Datalink7 »

Dalamar wrote:Are you sure a sorceress doesn't want to get into combat? ;)

Arm her with Black Amulet and Other Trickster's Shard, leaves enough points for Dispel Scroll (yeah, she'll be 25 points more so 2500 points game... or drop the scroll and we're good!)
Then give her Lore of Beasts.
Impenetrable Pelt and Savage Beast (soo... 4 S6 attacks and T6... plus dragon's 5 S6 attacks and T6)
I think she's a pretty nasty combat option. In a pinch you can go for Wildform to make the dragon S/T7 too.

Of course in those situations the dragon is the weak link so I would rather keep her with dark magic. Power of Darkness for the dragon (S7) and she remains a little fragile sorceress... until enemy combat lord puts all his attacks on her in a challenge... and half of them bounce back on him!
Word of Pain will make the unit she's fighting ineffective... and Shroud of Despair will allow her to break even steadfast units from time to time (steadfast on Ld7 is not the same as Ld10 with reroll)

Yes, I'm pretty sure. I used the Black Amulet/OTS last tournament. She died to an Irongut Champion in one challenge. In another combat, she died when demigryph knights charged the unit without a champion, so no challenge.

I will still probably continue to take the combination as it is a decent threat. But I see it as a backup for if she gets into combat, not a reason to get into combat. I'd still rather she not get into combat.
Ashes and Diamons,
Foe and Friend,
We are all equal,
In the End.
Setomidor
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Setomidor »

Welcome back Ras!

I like your list, but if you explicitly want to be nasty I'm afraid you can't have the Sorceress riding a dragon. Even though I agree with your sentiment that a unit should be able to perform multiple roles, the combination of Sorceress and Dragon actually means they will perform _worse_ in both Close Combat (due to the liability of the Sorceress), against shooting (since she cannot hide in units) and actually also during the Magic phase if you bring Death magic (a Miscast on Purple Sun can easily go from bad to catastrophic).

My advice would be to bring a Lord on dragon with a nasty load out and upgrade your Master on Steed to a Lvl2 with Scroll on a Dark Steed. With the Warlocks in the army I don't think you even need dual Lvl2 mages, and the combination of Lord on Dragon and Master on Pegasus with the Cloak is tremendous.

Finally, I would also exchange your Harpies for a fourth Bolt Thrower (if you have the model). Since they now cause panik in our units (and 20pts more expensive than before!), they're a bit of a liability.

Best of luck, please tell us how it goes!
Rasputinii
M-A-D

Post by Rasputinii »

Setomidor wrote:Welcome back Ras!

I like your list, but if you explicitly want to be nasty I'm afraid you can't have the Sorceress riding a dragon. Even though I agree with your sentiment that a unit should be able to perform multiple roles, the combination of Sorceress and Dragon actually means they will perform _worse_ in both Close Combat (due to the liability of the Sorceress), against shooting (since she cannot hide in units) and actually also during the Magic phase if you bring Death magic (a Miscast on Purple Sun can easily go from bad to catastrophic).

My advice would be to bring a Lord on dragon with a nasty load out and upgrade your Master on Steed to a Lvl2 with Scroll on a Dark Steed. With the Warlocks in the army I don't think you even need dual Lvl2 mages, and the combination of Lord on Dragon and Master on Pegasus with the Cloak is tremendous.

Finally, I would also exchange your Harpies for a fourth Bolt Thrower (if you have the model). Since they now cause panik in our units (and 20pts more expensive than before!), they're a bit of a liability.

Best of luck, please tell us how it goes!

Hello mate!
I'm coming to the same conclusion. A beasts lvl2 and the dragon lord would make a lot more sense. Hmmm...
Pleased to be back