Fast Cav List of Doom!

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Ragian Cain
Highborn

Fast Cav List of Doom!

Post by Ragian Cain »

I had my first game with the 'Fast Cav of Doom' list the other week, was a victory against those pesky Asur.

List: (Not my creation, Just used! EDIT Dec 21st: Finally found its author, you can thank Geist for this monstrosity)

LORDS 535 pts

SS on Dark Steed (Lvl 4 - Light, DS & RoH)
Dreadlord on Dark Steed (Armour of Destiny, SDC, Shield, Lance & Brace of RHP)

HEROES 590 pts

BSB on Dark Steed (Heavy Armour, Talisman of Preservation, SDC, Shield, Lance & Brace of RHP)
4 Masters on Dark Steed (Heavy Armour, SDC, Shield, Lance & RxB)

CORE 670 pts

5 Dark Riders (Herald, Muscian, Spears, RxB & Shields)
5 Dark Riders (Muscian, Spears, RxB & Shields)

RARE 585 pts

17 Doomfire Warlocks
6 Doomfire Warlocks (Master)

TOTAL 2398 pts

The tactic from D.net where the front rank of the big deathstar unit of Warlocks is all Heroes & Lords, with the Sorceress in the 2nd rank.

Even with a whole army Vanguarding the Asur mauled my chaff with their first turn of the game, but once the deathstar made it into combat they minced a unit of White Lions on the charge and then ran through the rest of his army.

Next game against either Orcs & Gobbos or Asrai.
Last edited by Ragian Cain on Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gerner
Noble

Re: Fast Cav List of Doom!

Post by Gerner »

Why have you taken Lore of Light?
Beast would be devastating. Shadow or Life would be amazing as well.
I think I would change some of Warlocks and Dark Riders out with some other stuff to have more diversity. :)
Ragian Cain
Highborn

Post by Ragian Cain »

It's more for the novelty of a completely Fast Cav list, and as for Light? It was more to see what it could do, some off the Buffs & Hex's worked wonders!
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Deathstar Warlocks.. interesting. I'd try to counter the list by causing as many panic tests as I could, which shouldn't be too hard. Something is bound to give, eventually.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Ragian Cain
Highborn

Post by Ragian Cain »

Daeron wrote:Deathstar Warlocks.. interesting. I'd try to counter the list by causing as many panic tests as I could, which shouldn't be too hard. Something is bound to give, eventually.

Totally, the reason I'm playing it is that its unusual, not super competitive.

After a couple of games I'll tweak some bits, but panic is always a problem, however with LD 10 and a ReRoll its as solid as can be without Unbreakable!

Will also be testing the various Lores too.
Gidean
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Gidean »

Gerner wrote:Why have you taken Lore of Light?
Beast would be devastating. Shadow or Life would be amazing as well.
I think I would change some of Warlocks and Dark Riders out with some other stuff to have more diversity. :)

Beast actually doesn't work that well. Too many spells only affect a character and not the unit.
Dragon9
Assassin

Post by Dragon9 »

Sure, but he has a Warlockstar with the front rank composed entirely of characters, so there's bound to be some utility.
"The dark elves have everything cool. They are pirate blood cultist ninjas riding dinosaurs and flinging magic. They're metal. They're the most metal race out there, rivaled only by Warriors of Chaos. They bring a cauldron of boiling blood onto the battlefield. You don't get much more metal than that." -- Mostlyharmless on Warseer

My Blog: A Small World - My Life in Miniatures

Image Image
Kargan daemonclaw
Highborn

Post by Kargan daemonclaw »

if the front rank is all characters / unit champs why not make the large cavalry units out of dark riders.

Seems like you are paying over the odds for supporting light horse
Gidean
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Gidean »

Kargan daemonclaw wrote:if the front rank is all characters / unit champs why not make the large cavalry units out of dark riders.

Seems like you are paying over the odds for supporting light horse

Because there is something that can be said by having the soulblight or even doombolt where it will be most useful not to mention a 4++ against template hits and spells.
Ragian Cain
Highborn

Post by Ragian Cain »

The Warlocks will get a Str 4, Poisoned Attack, and their full attacks against any Flank or Rear action. Plus the whole unit gets 4++ from Shooting & Magic (2++ including the MR from the Ring of Hotek) as long as 5 Warlocks are alive.

Coupled with the Front ranks 1+ in combat and the enemy's ability to not chop into the unit has proven useful!

I'm thinking of dropping the DR Herald and have the Banner of Eternal Flame on the BSB, so their Shooting & Combat attacks are Flaming, in addition to causing Fear in war beasts. Never hurts!
Falstaff
Beastmaster

Post by Falstaff »

I love it :D

I also think that beasts works wonders, especially as you get +5 to cast.
Other than that, I'd go for death, as it works very nice with a Sorc on a Steed.

I'm not sure if you really need the flaming banner. It will make your bsb more vulnerable and your army may be stopped by a 2++ vs flaming.

On the other side, the Points saved from the 4++ on the BSB could be used for an ogre blade on the DL. That might come in handy if you're facing ethereal units or something that doesn't break to your charge.
Ragian Cain
Highborn

Post by Ragian Cain »

Some great points, I'm still torn about what Lores to use.

I'm pretty sure the Sorceress does not gain +'s to cast from the Warlocks ranks, only the Warlocks themselves.
Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Thraundil »

Ragian Cain wrote:Some great points, I'm still torn about what Lores to use.

I'm pretty sure the Sorceress does not gain +'s to cast from the Warlocks ranks, only the Warlocks themselves.

But the point is that you get +1 when targeting units containing beasts. So she casts with +5 and not +4 :)

And as for why you take beasts... Savage Beast of Horros. +3S and +3A to a character, or boost it to work on every character within is it 12" I think. Suddenly the warlockstar attacks with 31 S9 attacks on the charge from just the front rank of 5 characters. And even if they get charged, you still have S7! Nothing, I mean literally nothing, can stand against this. This composition alone is why ETC restrictions limit how many fast cavalry heroes/units you are allowed to take.
Name: Ladry (female)
Class: Mage (Pyromancer)
Equipment: Staff, longsword, dagger, 20 gold, insignia ring.
Skills: Power of Aqshy (2), defensive figthing
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
Ragian Cain
Highborn

Post by Ragian Cain »

Thraundil wrote:And as for why you take beasts... Savage Beast of Horros. +3S and +3A to a character, or boost it to work on every character within is it 12" I think. Suddenly the warlockstar attacks with 31 S9 attacks on the charge from just the front rank of 5 characters. And even if they get charged, you still have S7! Nothing, I mean literally nothing, can stand against this. This composition alone is why ETC restrictions limit how many fast cavalry heroes/units you are allowed to take.

Wow, that is brutal, will be looking up the Lore when I get in!

Just waiting for the Dragon Sorceress legs to materialize and I can set to making her!
kunimitsu
Corsair

Post by kunimitsu »

wow. That is definitely something I am going to try!!! you forgot to mention 31 S9 attacks with re rolls and ASF. That is a very nasty combo, consider that stolen :p
Dragon9
Assassin

Post by Dragon9 »

Ragian Cain wrote: Plus the whole unit gets 4++ from Shooting & Magic (2++ including the MR from the Ring of Hotek) as long as 5 Warlocks are alive.

Where are you getting the 4++ from?
"The dark elves have everything cool. They are pirate blood cultist ninjas riding dinosaurs and flinging magic. They're metal. They're the most metal race out there, rivaled only by Warriors of Chaos. They bring a cauldron of boiling blood onto the battlefield. You don't get much more metal than that." -- Mostlyharmless on Warseer

My Blog: A Small World - My Life in Miniatures

Image Image
Ragian Cain
Highborn

Post by Ragian Cain »

The Warlocks. have a 4++ ward save, and since the Heroes are part of the unit and cant be targeted until there is less than 5 RnF models, wounds on it from shooting would get 4++ and 2++ from magic (with the RoH)
kaloomte
Trainee Warrior

Post by kaloomte »

Yes, this looks like a brutal list. Watch out for templates, cannons, the Other Trickster's Shard (or is the Trickster? I don't have the BRB in front of me, but one would force rerolls of successful ward saves) and the Lore of Death though. Still, I love this list and may 'borrow' it...
Gidean
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Gidean »

kunimitsu wrote:wow. That is definitely something I am going to try!!! you forgot to mention 31 S9 attacks with re rolls and ASF. That is a very nasty combo, consider that stolen :p

Better plan on 6 dicing that spell or it will be dispelled. Nobody would voluntarily let THAT through.
kaloomte
Trainee Warrior

Post by kaloomte »

Gidean wrote:
kunimitsu wrote:wow. That is definitely something I am going to try!!! you forgot to mention 31 S9 attacks with re rolls and ASF. That is a very nasty combo, consider that stolen :p

Better plan on 6 dicing that spell or it will be dispelled. Nobody would voluntarily let THAT through.

Second that. I would probably throw everything I had at it to dispel it if it wasn't IF, assuming I didn't have a scroll to use.
Ragian Cain
Highborn

Post by Ragian Cain »

I had my second game with the list last Saturday vs. Daemons of Khorne. Totally spanked them.

Exactly the same list, same Lore, the lot.

He only had one Khorne Kannon, my fast cav. chaff out maneuvered most of his army, running them in circles, the WarlockStar did not get into combat until late in the game, it did however mince 2 block units of Blootletters & a unit of Blood Crushers in combat!

Having one or sometimes two(!) Soulblights in play, coupled with the Light spell of -1 to hit really made them brutal!

They also killed a 'Thirster with the big version of Doombolt (ha)

I believe I'll give the Lore of Beasts a go next time.

Will report on the next game when its played!
Rasputinii
M-A-D

Post by Rasputinii »

I know you say your playing it for fun and don't think it's that competative. But I would say it's maybe the strongest list (with death or beasts, not light). It's meta changing. Very hard to get points from, safe from death magic. Very fast. Very very fast. Full on punch. Very dangerous magic. I personally like beasts for it. But either way, it has counters to everything. And it raises new questions. And it can completely redeploy in t.1.

It's just too awesome. The new filth. Everyone's starting to do it. It'll be big, I bet.
Pleased to be back
npow34
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by npow34 »

I am wondering how you position your models in the LockStar? Especially since the warlocks need LOS to cast their MM.

What does the community think about the LOS rule if the warlock is in the second rank?
Ragian Cain
Highborn

Post by Ragian Cain »

LoS is the same as BS shooting is it not? And in BS shooting if the front rank can see, the second rank uses the 1st's LoS?
Enkiel
Assassin

Post by Enkiel »

front rank for vision
model casting for range.