New to DE need help with a list

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

gpicciotto
Slave on the Altar

New to DE need help with a list

Post by gpicciotto »

I am brand new to DE and returning to the hobby after a number of years. I would describe myself as a painter/hobbyist first and gamer second. So winning is not important to me but I do like to take the models out for a spin every now and again and play people and getting totally run over s never fun for either party.

Here are the models I am currently building as part of initial core force.

Hero on Dragon
Sorceress on Pegasus
30 Dreadspears- full command
10 Crossbows
5 dark riders- musician
20 executioners- full command
1 Hydra

My questions what can I build with this in the 2250 range?
What do I need to get in terms of models?

I realize I am asking you to do all the work for me so thanks in advance to any willing to help....I have my own ideas but they mostly revolve around unit fillers/ and cool paint schemes ;-)
Last edited by gpicciotto on Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
malus the darkblade
Slave on the Altar

Re: New to DE need help with a list

Post by malus the darkblade »

Im also new, but I would strongly suggest investing in witch elves...

they are too good not to field.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Hero on Dragon => excellent general. Give him best protection and some magic weapon.
Sorceress on Pegasus => excellent for Death and possibly Dark Lores. If she fits with Lords, make her so, otherwise a Lvl2 is stinn great. Cloak and Dispel scroll shoulg be useful.
30 Dreadspears- full command => mediocre but can be played. Magic banner can be considered.
10 Crossbows => must take a muso.
5 dark riders- musician => excellent unit, must take shields, RXB are great too.
20 executioners- full command => great unit. Take some magic banner.
1 Hydra => great. Upgrade with breath.

Basically make the math yourself. If anything had to go, that could be the dragonlord, as the sorc could do the general's job.
Spears are the least useful unit, except for filling out core.

Note that you have no BSB (not that much a problem), and you don't have obvious synergies between units.
Your army will be considered "soft".
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

You could try to scratch build a Bloodwrack shrine. Some plasticard to make a 60x100mm base, adding some styrofoam or something alike to glue "building blocks" to make an elevated altar, and any 2 models to serve as guardians will give you a suitable model, albeit less impressive than the original. You will need a model to represent the medusa, but considering it's an "excess" from the Cauldron of Blood kit, you might be able to get your hands on one on e-bay, bit shops or a friend for a fair price.

Why the shrine? Well... not only does it ramp up the model count... it could be a good match for that dreadspear unit. I haven't playtested this myself yet, unfortunately, but it looks like it has potential. Putting the BWS in the Dreadspears gives a unit with 9 ranks. You could put a Sorceress in there on the -second- rank, legally, keeping her safe from a damn lot of things. If she is a Supreme Sorceress, you could make her General and the BWS would make her Ld10 (good against Death and as general). If she's a level 2, you can add the gleaming pennant or std of discipline on the unit to gain a tremendous stability.
You could add a single combat character which can sit in the front rank and you have a combat unit that will remove steadfast from most units.
It's not going to be overpowered... but it will certainly add a rock solid backbone to the army.

What your list lacks is volume of attacks. So, in magic I would look to improve that. Destructive lores are good.. or lores improving combat performance. Dark Magic and Fire would be fun and complimentary. Lore of Metal could be nice, but I'd recommend getting a second caster if you do.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
gpicciotto
Slave on the Altar

Post by gpicciotto »

Thanks all for the quick feedback. I forgot to say I also have 20 Corsairs with weapon and handbow.

It was mentioned my list will be considered soft....I guess to be honest I am ok with that...I just don't want it to be so soft it is no fun to play against...looking for competitive balance while still being focused on the hobby portion of all of this.

I did make sure to take a musician with my darkshards and shields and xbows with the cavalry.....

in doing my first list i came out above 2250 and don't want to lose an icon piece like the dragon....so probably need to play 3000 point games ;-)