Darkblade's light brigade

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Nellamik
Black Guard

Darkblade's light brigade

Post by Nellamik »

Greetings,
I haven't posted here in a long time due to other distractions, like life, a band, wargames other than Warhammer.
However I have been here from time to time reading and plotting my return.

This is my first list with the new 8th book.
I have played in the 7th with a similar type list but it was not Druchi and loved the way this kind of army works.
The new Dark elf book just makes it better along with my favorite dark elf unit Dark riders.
Malus Darkblade is perfect for this type of army, all fast mobile units that create havoc on the enemy.

My first list is a 2500 point army "Darkblade's light brigade"
I have a game scheduled this Saturday against the very army I used to play this style army with, Woodelves.

Here is my list...
Lord Malus Darkblade and Spite
He will be joined to
11 Cold one knights with full command and the War banner

L2 Sorceress mounted on dark steed, Dispel scroll with Dark magic
L2 Sorceress mounted on dark steed, Channeling staff with lore of Death
L2 Sorceress mounted on dark steed, Talisman of protection, Ruby ring of Ruin with lore of Shadow

5 Dark riders with Repeater crossbows, shields and musician
9 Dark riders with Repeater crossbows, shields and full command
10 Dark riders with Repeater crossbows, shields and full command

2 Cold one Chariots
5 Shades with Repeater crossbows
War Hydra

Total points 2495 fortitude of 5
All point percentages met.

I am excited to play this army and of course I look to you for suggestions
After all I am an elf so I'm all ears
No amount of planning can ever replace dumb luck.
Kargan daemonclaw
Highborn

Re: Darkblade's light brigade

Post by Kargan daemonclaw »

I'd drop a sorceress for a BSB. rerolling break and rally tests will be worthwhile for an army that flees and rallies a lot.

You need to consider how would you play watchtower or battle for the pass.
Gerner
Noble

Post by Gerner »

I would put the Swiftness Banner on the COK to increase their charge and movement.
Also give the big Dark Rider Unit the Banner of Eternal Flame.
You should consider getting some warlocks, they are amazing!
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

Kargan daemonclaw wrote:I'd drop a sorceress for a BSB. rerolling break and rally tests will be worthwhile for an army that flees and rallies a lot.

...and for dealing with stupidity :mrgreen: (I know you have Malus, but for the chariots)

Ring of Hotek is a good item for such a character.

Gerner wrote:I would put the Swiftness Banner on the COK to increase their charge and movement.

...or Razor so they can deal with MC.

Gerner wrote:You should consider getting some warlocks, they are amazing!

+1! Might not be as fluffy as you are aiming, but magical medium cavalry will complement the rest of the list well (and make up for the Sorceress if dropped for the BSB).
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Gerner
Noble

Post by Gerner »

T.D. wrote:
Gerner wrote:I would put the Swiftness Banner on the COK to increase their charge and movement.

He is playing against Wood Elves, and as a WE player my self I would suggest he doesn't worries about AS. ;)
But getting that charge with the COK can mean a lot of difference. :)
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Post by T.D. »

Gerner wrote:
T.D. wrote:

He is playing against Wood Elves, and as a WE player my self I would suggest he doesn't worries about AS. ;)
But getting that charge with the COK can mean a lot of difference. :)

He is playing against Wood Elves in his next game. But that doesn't mean that Malus' light brigade are only ever going to play against Wood Elves.

Swiftness, War, Razor, Rangers, etc are very much a matter of personal playstyle choice on the Knights. However, with six units of Dark Riders and one unit of shades to assist in getting the right charge off at the right time, I'd personally go Razor vs all comers.
Nellamik
Black Guard

Post by Nellamik »

@Kargan daemonclaw
Never been much for BS and don't intend on being in any one place to form around one.
Your comment on the 2 scenarios has me thinking.
I would consider a unit of 15-20 Corsairs with hand bows to put in the Watch tower.
What will I cut from the list to do that? COC's?
However I have to ask the question, how many lists do you see that take the Watch tower in consideration.
You would have to include a small core unit to garrison the tower in any list made.

@Gerner
I would like to get Warlocks just don't have en now.
You are right about Woodelves running naked (no armour)
He will have 6 Trekin and Dryads as he is borrowing mine for this game.

@T.D.
Ring of Hotek seems to be less effective and more points than it used to be.

Thanks for the comments.
Jvh792
Highborn

Post by Jvh792 »

Drop dark rider champions for 2 more standards in your other units.
One less sorc for a bsb because you will be taking a lot of panic tests.
I would drop the chariots. They are too slow, too stupid, and don't do anything the rest of your list doesn't already do better.
Instead, you need something that can chew through a horde army, like hydras with breath attacks.
Doom fire warlocks work well also.
"With hate, all things are possible." - Malus Darkblade
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Post by T.D. »

Nellamik wrote:@T.D.
Ring of Hotek seems to be less effective and more points than it used to be.

Less effective, but still still worth taking. Looking at your list from an opponents perspective, I see one key combat block with no magic protection.

The ring won't prevent IF, but +3 MR is useful and doubling your opponents chance of a miscast is very useful!

Again, its a personal choice/playstyle thing...but I think the RoH is a good choice on an army built around a single key unit.
Nellamik
Black Guard

Post by Nellamik »

I am totally suprised at the lack of interest here.
No disrespect to those who have posted already.
Not because I think this is best list ever in the history of Warhammer.
But now there are options to the standard lists that we can take advantage of.

OK stop and think about this for a moment.
Does the word "Sythayla" mean anything here.
This is our chance to "pay it back"
We now have the tools.

It's not about a BSB or what magic standard I use.
This is about Fast Cavalry that equals movement and avoidance if need be.

We can be wherever we want to be at any time if we do this right.
Jvh792
Highborn

Post by Jvh792 »

Gotta hand it to you, that's quite the motivational speech.
It's true, you can be where you want to be. I play my own version of this list and I love it. However, I think as you play this list you will find that LD 8 isn't the best thing to build a very panicky army around. Sure it's better than most armies, but then against their units aren't panicking if only 2 models die... That's not to mention additional panic tests as you run through your own units every time you flee a charge with your fast cav.

And no. The word Sythayla meant nothing to me, but after researching it, I've come to understand that it's a hit and run army? If that's the what you're going for, you're doing fine! But if you want some pointers on my experience playing a h Iit and run list, try these!
- Ditch the chariots asap. 7 inch move is slower than infantry... 30% slower. Plus that's not to mention the 1 in 6 turns that they fail a LD 9 stupid test. And with 2 of them, that's 2 turns that a chariot farts forwards even slower than it was anemically crawling before.
- If you ditch the chariots, ditch the hydra. At that point, he is the only cannon magnet and will die very quickly to any multiple wound causing war machines. Besides, the point of a hit and run list is to hit them before they hit you... then run. Hydras don't do that well since they only outspeed trolls. Besides THAT, they are your next slowest movement, marching only 12". 30% slower than Dark Riders.
- Give the CoK the banner of swiftness. The war banner is cool and all... But actually it's not. If they charge, that extra plus 1 is a total wash because they are going to win combat by a COMPLETE landslide. But that extra speed... Imagine if you added plus 1 to every charge distance you ever rolled with your CoK... How many of those failed charges would you get back? Besides that, you get the added bonus of being able to keep up better with your Dark Riders. If you wunna hit who you want, when you want, you need to be where you want when you want.
- Our group doesn't play watchtower because we all hate it, but if you do, turn those slow-ass-chariots and hydra into a core unit of your choosing that can fit into the house.
- If you don't play watchtower because you enjoy games that are fun (just kidding kinda) then just turn them into more shades. A unit of 10 with great weapons = hydra and isn't afraid of cannon balls. Shades are GREAT at what your list is kinda afraid of. Shooting of any kind at all since they can turn 1 charge a carelessly deployed shooting unit and overrun into the one next to it. I run 2 units, one with great weapons and one with AHW.
-Or BSB... seriously. Especially if you put him on a Pegasus. Then he fits your army's theme perfectly, hits like a truck, gets extra wound and toughness... Give him the cloak to absorb any cannons than think to shoot him out of the sky.
"With hate, all things are possible." - Malus Darkblade
Kheel
Noble

Post by Kheel »

An army with only a mere 60 bodies worth of models... Yes please, I would love to go against this in my next tournament :)
As a goof and a chill just-for-fun game, sure, this could be fun.

Dealing with this force, you don't look for combat, you use magic and shooting to deal with it. When the fighty unit comes close, you set up a trap and then it's more or less game. I predict that this list will struggle with anything that includes a lot of shooting. A mere flying hunter with 1+ rerollable armour save can hold those CoKs with Malus long enough that they don't see any other combat. A charge in the flank or rear on top of that and your CoKs may even be broken and then you have no fighty unit any longer.
Also, if I would avoid that malus unit, they will eventually kill themselves :)

I'm impressed if you went through the trouble of getting all these horse models, but I don't think this list will find much success in the tournament scene. I've seen similar lists before and they never impressed me. And this should explain the "lack of interest" as you put it. ;)
//Kheel

Nobody really cares if you’re miserable, so you might as well be happy.
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Post by T.D. »

Kheel wrote:A mere flying hunter with 1+ rerollable armour save can hold those CoKs with Malus long enough that they don't see any other combat.

Does Malus' sword not delete armour?
Kheel
Noble

Post by Kheel »

if he does, dance around the unit long enough for it to kill itself. One fighty character is not enough to win a game, and if it is, the opposing side made a lot of bad calls.
//Kheel

Nobody really cares if you’re miserable, so you might as well be happy.
Rasputinii
M-A-D

Post by Rasputinii »

Nellamik wrote:I am totally suprised at the lack of interest here.
No disrespect to those who have posted already.
Not because I think this is best list ever in the history of Warhammer.
But now there are options to the standard lists that we can take advantage of.

OK stop and think about this for a moment.
Does the word "Sythayla" mean anything here.
This is our chance to "pay it back"
We now have the tools.

It's not about a BSB or what magic standard I use.
This is about Fast Cavalry that equals movement and avoidance if need be.

We can be wherever we want to be at any time if we do this right.

Perhaps rather than getting all hyped up perhaps you should consider doing a search.
The hit and run dark elf list is already very popular. Its very strong, and its winning tournaments (UK masters for one). I watched two such lists duke it out on UB last night. There are things that make that list very effective, and your list doesn't feature any of them bar the core DR. Your list still has a center, a focus thats not that mobile, vulnerable to warmachines and worth a lot of points. The things you are missing, that other lists are doing well with:
- Cheap Master on DS
- Peg Character with Cloak of twilight
- Warlocks (one of the best units in the game)
- Lvl 4 of death
- GW shades / just more shades in general.

I'm not saying you should join that "netlist" cult. Your list is different, which is awesome. But I would suggest not judging the feedback your getting so harshly nor claiming that your list is some sort of uber avoidance list, when clearly there are plenty of people playing that style of list, but without the heavy center and doing very well with it.
Pleased to be back