1000pts Skirmisher force, new player looking for advice.

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

koyivida
Slave on the Altar

1000pts Skirmisher force, new player looking for advice.

Post by koyivida »

Hello! I have to admit that I am not all that used to posting on these kind of forums,
but it has been a long -long- time since I played Warhammer fantasy and just recently
a few friends of mine are trying to bully me into picking it up again.

I always was a sucker for pretty models and always liked Warhammer fantasy Dark elves,
with a point limit of 1000 though you really seem to be very limited to what you can get,
I decided that I wanted to pick up and put together a swift moving skirmisher/raiding force,
so I wanted to try and keep it mounted or using Shades or other things that could fly or infiltrate.

I have absolutely no idea how well this list will fare though and I should perhaps point out that
I would mostly end up playing against Ogre Kingdoms, Chaos Warriors and Lizardmen,
unless some of them have a change of heart.

I would really appreciate any kind of advice or ideas of how to give a list like this a fighting chance,
or if some choises here are downright dumb and should be avoided.
Are there any absolute must have in an army that I have missed?
And so on and so forth.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read through this trainwreck of a list! ^^;

Heroes

Sorceress: Lore of Dark magic + Magic level2 +Dark steed = 125p

Master: +Lance +seadragon cloak +heavy armor +shield +repeater crossbow +Cold one +potion of strength = 121p

Core

5*Darkriders: +Shields +Repeater crossbows = 100p

Special

5* Cold one Knights: = 150p
5* Shades: +great weapons = 90p

Rare

5* Doomfire warlocks = 125p

Sumary

1001p

24.6% Heroes
30% Core
33% Special
12.5% Rare

-- Edit

Updated list / New suggestion a few posts further down!
Last edited by koyivida on Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Underway
Silver Khaine Winner

Re: 1000pts Skirmisher force, new player looking for advice.

Post by Underway »

Couple of thoughts. COK are not the best in low pt games, especially in a unit of 5. I personally would replace them with a hydra, as a monster at that point level is a pain in the ass.

Another option would be to get a second unit of warlocks instead of COK. Give the master a pegasus or dark stead vice cold one.

With two units of warlocks you can also consider dropping the sorceress.

What you have there is a points denial list so just take it one step further if that's the way you want to go.
koyivida
Slave on the Altar

Post by koyivida »

I am not exactly familiar with what a 'point denial' list means, even though I probably should know such things.
I really wanted to put the Master on a Dark pegasus but I can't since I am only allowed 250pts of heroes,
although if I did ditch the sorceress I could squeeze a pegasus in.

I was a bit conflicted when it came to the COK, I just really wanted something swift or ' skirmishy ' whilst
adding some variation to the list.

Although I suppose that removing the sorceress and COK, add another unit of warlocks and toss the
Master on a Dark Pegasus might be worth thought aswell. In regards to the Hydra, I keep reading that
it is supposed to be very powerfull and a trouble to deal with, and certainly 8 attacks at Str5 seems
quite powerfull, but is that all there is too it or am I missing something here?
Zee Deveel
Trainee Warrior

Post by Zee Deveel »

I don't think you need a Sorc at this point level, just use Warlocks, they are the bomb. 5 is probably fine, a second unit couldn't hurt though. 4+ ward saves, decent damage output and magika!

I think a Master on a Pegasus with a 1+ save and either a Dawnstone (re-rollable armour save) or a Cloak of Twilight (magic/shooty ward save and some other fun stuff) at this level would be really difficult to deal with.

WoC, Lizardmen and Ogres = all high toughness and a range of armour saves from very little to enormous. So you're gonna need a way to deal with high toughness targets and some ways to deal with armour.

CoK and Executioners are good choices but Executioners will strike at the same time as Chaos Warriors so finding a way to buff their Initiative or debuff the Chaos Warriors could be useful, or use CoKs. CoKs have the advantage of being hard to deal with at low points levels because people don't always have can opener units. Executioners are also food for Skinks so if you do go with them take plenty of repeater crossbows to shred the skinks.

Reaper Bolt Throwers are another option, really good against Ogres.

I think mostly my changes would be to swap the Sorc for a Peg Master and include a Bolt Thrower or two.
Blackphantom
Shade

Post by Blackphantom »

koyivida wrote:In regards to the Hydra, I keep reading that
it is supposed to be very powerfull and a trouble to deal with, and certainly 8 attacks at Str5 seems
quite powerfull, but is that all there is too it or am I missing something here?

it has 8 S5 attacks to begin with, but also has thunderstom, that's D6 S5 hits against infantry, war beasts or swarms
and if you take the breath weapon, fiery breath, you get 2D6 flaming S4 attacks in CC...

combine that with a 4+ scaly skin AS and the "...another takes it's place" rule (which can be seen as a 4+ ward save of some sorts, although it's taken at the end of the turn), you have yourself a surprisingly high hitting monster that can be tough to kill... especially at lower points...
koyivida
Slave on the Altar

Post by koyivida »

Blackphantom wrote:

it has 8 S5 attacks to begin with, but also has thunderstom, that's D6 S5 hits against infantry, war beasts or swarms
and if you take the breath weapon, fiery breath, you get 2D6 flaming S4 attacks in CC...

combine that with a 4+ scaly skin AS and the "...another takes it's place" rule (which can be seen as a 4+ ward save of some sorts, although it's taken at the end of the turn), you have yourself a surprisingly high hitting monster that can be tough to kill... especially at lower points...

Ah I see, It has been a long time since I played fantasy so I was not aware of those two rules
and I simply based my opinion of the Hydra by reating its statline.

I very much appreciate the advice and thoughts given, I will consider to trim away
the sorceress, as fitting 2 characters in a 1000pts army is really hard and I like the
thought of a Master on a Pegasus, I will sit down and fiddle a bit more with
the list and see what I come up with.
Blackphantom
Shade

Post by Blackphantom »

koyivida wrote:
Blackphantom wrote:

Ah I see, It has been a long time since I played fantasy so I was not aware of those two rules
and I simply based my opinion of the Hydra by reating its statline.

I very much appreciate the advice and thoughts given, I will consider to trim away
the sorceress, as fitting 2 characters in a 1000pts army is really hard and I like the
thought of a Master on a Pegasus, I will sit down and fiddle a bit more with
the list and see what I come up with.

Glad to help, It's all in the big rulebook. though it's scattered around :p
all monsters get a Thunderstomp, it's ASL though. see p76 for the rule, p85 to see that monsters get it
And then there's "Breath weapons close combat attack" on p67
koyivida
Slave on the Altar

Post by koyivida »

So, having read through the suggestions given, I altered the list a bit and
added a block of Darkshards to flesh out numbers a bit, ditched the Sorceress
to relly on the Warlocks instead for magic, tossed a Hydra in as it does seem
quite nice. Hopefully this will make for a bit more wellrounded list.

I would greatly appreciate any thoughts or suggestions of how to improve it.

Heroes
Master: Halberd, Sea Dragon cloak, Repeater crossbow, Charmed shield, Dawnstone, Potion of strength, Dark Pegasus = 183p

Core
10*Darkshards: +Shields = 130p

Special
1* Warhydra: +Fiery Breath = 180p

Rare
5* Doomfire warlocks = 125p

Sumary

998p

Heroes: 17.9%
Core: 33.3%
Special: 36.3%
Rare: 12.5%
Zee Deveel
Trainee Warrior

Post by Zee Deveel »

Feels like you've got "token" Darkshards in there. I'd take more Dark Riders instead.