Beginner - 1600 Points

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

dgrahamjbj
Slave on the Altar

Beginner - 1600 Points

Post by dgrahamjbj »

Hi!

I am a complete beginner to war hammer in general, but after reading through the dark elf army book I have come up with this list for 1600 points games. I have just bought my first models including a Hydra, so I would like to keep the Hydra in the list :D
Any advice would be great!

Total Points (1585pts) +++

+ Lords + (375pts)

* Morathi (375pts)
Heartrender and the Darksword, Level 4 Wizard, Lore of Dark Magic, Lore of Death, Lore of Shadow, Mount: Sulephet, the Dark Pegasus (Fly, Impale Attack)

+ Heroes + (110pts)

* Khainite Assassin (110pts)
Dark Venom (20pts) (*), Hand Weapon, Throwing Weapons

+ Core + (500pts)

* Darkshards (140pts)
10x Darkshards (120pts), Hand Weapon, Light Armor, Musician (10pts), Repeater Crossbow, Standard bearer (10pts)

* Darkshards (140pts)
10x Darkshards (120pts), Hand Weapon, Light Armor, Musician (10pts), Repeater Crossbow, Standard bearer (10pts)

* Dreadspears (110pts)
10x Dreadspears (90pts), Light Armor, Musician (10pts), Shield, Spear, Standard Bearer (10pts)

* Dreadspears (110pts)
10x Dreadspears (90pts), Light Armor, Musician (10pts), Shield, Spear, Standard Bearer (10pts)

+ Special + (600pts)

* Cold One Knights (150pts)

* Reaper Bolt Thrower (70pts)

* War Hydra (160pts)
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Re: Beginner - 1600 Points

Post by Amboadine »

Have you brought all of these models or is there still room to manoeuvre?

Going through each choice;

Lords;
Morathi - Solid choice, no issue here.

Heroes;

Ideally you first and foremost should look to invest in a BSB master , before looking at assassin, which unfortunately are not the strongest choice in the book, and you don't really have a decent unit for him to be situated in.

Core;

You have a very static core, by which I mean, all infantry. A block of ten spears is just going to give points to your opponents, if you want to keep them, you would be far better having one unit of 20, to get some rank bonus, to help in combat.

Shards are a solid choice, but generally just a musician is enough for them, unless you need the standard for fortitude. No really reason at all to take the champion, unless you have a character with the unit, so you can accept the challenges with it.

If you are not adverse to change, look at swapping the spears out for a couple of units of Dark riders, with RXB's shields and muso. They will give you more mobility and allow you to support the CoK's and Hydra.

Special;

RBT's are great.
Hydra you want to keep.
CoK's can be hit and miss. They are good on the charge, but that stupidity rule can hurt sometimes, hence the idea of a BSB, maybe mounted on a CO, to ride with them and give them that reroll chance.
Again, I might be tempted to have one large unit of ten to hit very hard or swap one unit out for a unit of five warlocks to give you some extra magically support and an effective fast cav unit.

Hope that helps a little. Good luck.
dgrahamjbj
Slave on the Altar

Post by dgrahamjbj »

Thanks for the response! I have only bought Hydra and a box of dark shards/dreadspears so I am very flexible on units.

I like your suggestions and I see what you mean about being static. I think I will ditch the assassin as well and go for a master with BSB on a cold one. My new army List would be:

1553pts in total

+ Lords + (375pts)

* Morathi (375pts)
Heartrender and the Darksword, Level 4 Wizard, Lore of Dark Magic, Lore of Death, Lore of Shadow, Mount: Sulephet, the Dark Pegasus (Fly, Impale Attack)

+ Heroes + (113pts)

* Master (113pts)
Battle Standard Bearer (25pts), Cold One (12pts) (Fear, Stupidity, Thick-Skinned), Hand Weapon, Light Armor, Sea Dragon Cloak (6pts)

+ Core + (480pts)

* Dark Riders (110pts)
5x Dark Riders (80pts), Herald (10pts), Light Armor, Musician (10pts), Spear, Standard bearer (10pts)

* Dark Riders (110pts)
5x Dark Riders (80pts), Herald (10pts), Light Armor, Musician (10pts), Spear, Standard bearer (10pts)

* Darkshards (130pts)
10x Darkshards (120pts), Hand Weapon, Light Armor, Musician (10pts), Repeater Crossbow

* Darkshards (130pts)
10x Darkshards (120pts), Hand Weapon, Light Armor, Musician (10pts), Repeater Crossbow

+ Special + (450pts)

5x Cold One Knights (150pts), Hand Weapon, Heavy Armor, Lance, Shield

* War Hydra (160pts)

+ Rare + (135pts)

* Doomfire Warlocks (135pts)
5x Doomfire Warlocks (125pts), Master of Warlocks (10pts)

what do you think of that? What about the remaining 30 points or so , is there anything I should use them on?

Thanks!
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Looking better, one idea;

Put a standard into one of the units of shards, then give them the Banner of Eternal Flame.
This then gives you flaming shots that you can use to potentially knock regen off units, before opening up with the RBT's. That will use up 20 points.
With the other, add a champion to the CoKs.
dgrahamjbj
Slave on the Altar

Post by dgrahamjbj »

I like the sounds of that! Flaming arrows :D

Thanks so much for the help! I am so excited to play this army now :D
Askador
Noble

Post by Askador »

dgrahamjbj wrote:Thanks for the response! I have only bought Hydra and a box of dark shards/dreadspears so I am very flexible on units.

I like your suggestions and I see what you mean about being static. I think I will ditch the assassin as well and go for a master with BSB on a cold one. My new army List would be:

1553pts in total

+ Lords + (375pts)

* Morathi (375pts)

+ Heroes + (113pts)

* Master (113pts)
Battle Standard Bearer (25pts), Cold One (12pts) (Fear, Stupidity, Thick-Skinned), Hand Weapon, Light Armor, Sea Dragon Cloak (6pts)

+ Core + (480pts)

* Dark Riders (110pts)

* Dark Riders (110pts)

* Darkshards (130pts)

* Darkshards (130pts)

+ Special + (450pts)

5x Cold One Knights (150pts), Hand Weapon, Heavy Armor, Lance, Shield

* War Hydra (160pts)

+ Rare + (135pts)

* Doomfire Warlocks (135pts)
5x Doomfire Warlocks (125pts), Master of Warlocks (10pts)

what do you think of that? What about the remaining 30 points or so , is there anything I should use them on?

Thanks!

Give your Master a lance and a Shield so he has 1+ Armor and S6 when charging with the Knights. If you have some more points to spend you also could give him an Ogre blade or some protection like a Ward Save.

If you have a hard time against magic you can join the unit of Warloks with Morathi. She will not get "Lookout Sir" rule and the unit loses its fast Cavalary rule but she has Magic resist (2) wich stacks with the Wardsave from the Warloks and gives the unit an 2++ against magic.
A good way to join them is: Dont deplay them as a unit at the start. Make your Vanguard move with the Warloks, Move or march and if they are done you fly over to them and join the unit. They just need to be in range of the 20" move.

Shield on Dark Riders is nice to have.

And if you make a list you dont need to wright in what they already have. I think the Guys here reading this know that the Cold one Knights already have a lance an heavy armor and a handweapon :) It confuses me. Just put the stuff in you give them extra. Like Musican and stuff like that.
dgrahamjbj
Slave on the Altar

Post by dgrahamjbj »

Sorry about that! It is just the program I use (battle scribe) that exports it that way :S I will try and change it, I'm sure there is a way. I can understand it being confusing though :D

Ah that sounds like a pretty good strategy actually with joining the warlocks with Morathi during the game! I probably wouldn't have thought of that one. I am an absolute beginner but hopefully with some games under my belt... :D
Askador
Noble

Post by Askador »

dgrahamjbj wrote:Sorry about that! It is just the program I use (battle scribe) that exports it that way :S I will try and change it, I'm sure there is a way. I can understand it being confusing though :D

Ah that sounds like a pretty good strategy actually with joining the warlocks with Morathi during the game! I probably wouldn't have thought of that one. I am an absolute beginner but hopefully with some games under my belt... :D

Well you dont have to join them but its an nice option.

Good luck on your game.