2400 points for National Finals

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

2400 points for National Finals

Post by Thraundil »

Hey lads!
I qualified for the finals in the national warhammer league. The restrictions are an updated version of ETC:

• Reaper Bolt Thrower/Each 5 (or fraction) shade models/Dark Rider with Repeater Crossbow units/Darkshard units, max 7
• Dark Rider models after 15/Doomfire Warlock models/Character on Cold One or Pegasus/Character on Dark Steed (counts as 2), max 15
• 6 or more Doomfire Warlock models/mounted Supreme Sorceress with Lore of Death or Dark Magic/Sacrificial Dagger, max 1
• Fast cavalry units/characters and pegasus, max 5.

Funnily enough, the pegasus army is nerfed :P

So anyways. In keeping with my tradition of utilising heavy characters, I came up with this build which is essentially a cold one character deathstar in a warlock unit:

Lord, SDC, shield, giant blade, dawnstone, other tricksters shard, cold one
276 pts
Lvl 4, dispel scroll, ring of hotek, cold one - probably lore of beasts
320 pts

Master, HA, SDC, shield, cloak of twilight, lance, dark pegasus
188 pts
Master, SDC, shield, BSB, talisman of preservation, ironcurse icon, lance, cold one
171 pts
Master, HA, SDC, luckstone, great weapon, cold one
101 pts
Master, SDC, shield, crown of command, charmed shield, lance, cold on

5 DR, shields, crossbows
100 pts
5 DR, shields, crossbows
100 pts
5 DR, shields
85 pts
15 WE, mus, flaming banner
10 WE, mus
600 pts core on the money, so there is no leisure. Although I could join the WE units into one with FC.

RBT
RBT
RBT
RBT
5 shades, AHW

9 Doomfire Warlocks, master of warlocks

The basic idea is very simple. Drop the 5 core choices and RBTs across the deployment zone and wait for the enemy to reveal his big targets. Then drop the warlocks across from that one, joined by all 5 cold one characters and supported by the cloak master. Move across the board and murder. Every master has 1+ armor save and at least one backup. I consider putting a great weapon on one more guy, just so I can accept charges a little more easily, but if I am ever in a position where thats an issue I can hopefully edge out of it with beast magic. The vanguard and heavy firebase from the RBT battery and shades should be able to clear the way for most flak with relative swiftness.

What do you guys think?
Name: Ladry (female)
Class: Mage (Pyromancer)
Equipment: Staff, longsword, dagger, 20 gold, insignia ring.
Skills: Power of Aqshy (2), defensive figthing
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
Boltshot525
Corsair

Re: 2400 points for National Finals

Post by Boltshot525 »

Dont you think you are losing some of the utility of the Warlocks by having Cold ones in them?

I understand what you are trying to do, but it just seems like a waste to me.
Our bolts will blot out the sun!
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

Boltshot525 wrote:Dont you think you are losing some of the utility of the Warlocks by having Cold ones in them?

Builds like this won some early 2014 competitions when Dark Rider character restrictions were already beginning to kick in.

- You lose speed and fast cav, but still have the Warlock's ward save and spells.

- Cold Ones bring more pain than Dark Steeds in close combat

- With magic defence and magic support the Deathstar is going to take some stopping, including in prolonged CC.

- Rest of list controls board, mitigating slower speed of Bus

It's a high risk, high reward build :)

@ Thraundil

Congrats on qualifying for your national league finals! 8)
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Lord hajjij
Rotting skull on the Glottkin trail

Post by Lord hajjij »

Do you need to test for stupidity separately for each character?

That block would be devastating I'd you could get the bubble version of savage beast off...
So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong and to strike at what is weak.

-Sun Tzu
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Boltshot525 wrote:Dont you think you are losing some of the utility of the Warlocks by having Cold ones in them?

It's better and cheaper to use warlocks than Cold One Knights for this kind of build. Yes, you lose the fast cav ability, but it doesn't matter. The point is to get a bunch of combat characters into combat, and the Warlocks do it for fewer points than knights.

My only criticism is that the Other Trickster's Shard could end up hurting more than helping since I presume the Dreadlord is in the unit of Warlocks. You also have to be very careful to make sure he is not in BTB contact with the Master carrying the Talisman of Preservation.
Truly These are the End Times ...
Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Thraundil »

Thanks for the feedback guys :)

I lose some warlock utility for sure. But the primary job of the warlocks in this list is not to be a utility caster. It is to provide nice, cheap wounds with a decent ward save, such that primarily war machines dont rip my list apart. The warlocks transform orcs and goblins with their doom divers from a horrible, knight wiping slaugther into a pretty decent game. The only thing I miss is the swiftness banner.

And no - stupidity is not tested for each character. (Unless I spread them out of course). The unit counts as one unit which is stupid. One test, LD10 reroll, and I'm good to go.

With regards to OTS, I bring it along primarily for one end: warriors of chaos and their retarded mark of nurgle bullshit. If I get into melee with such a couple of guys, the strikes that hit home MUST inflict their wounds. So reroll that 4+ ward, biatch! The character setup will be, from side to side in the front rank, my BSB, the master of warlocks, the luckstone guy, the lord, and the crown guy. This way, the lord touches no character with a ward save, and as long as there are 5+ warlock models in the pack, no hits are 'assigned'. After I need to start allocating shooting hits, I am going to allocate them onto primarily the 1+ save characters, anyway.

Savage beast is gonna be a game changer in this list. 20+ is harsh, meeting 16 on the dice, but with a 5-diced version it should be doable coming out on 17,5 average. Amber spears to hopefully brutalise cannons and singles, wyssans to just generally mitigate the big elf weakness. Pretty much any spell except transformation will be a 'good' spell in the list, and there are no absolute "must-have". Supplementing with the warlock doombolt and I have a solid magic phase, 4 bolt throwers and a few shades.

Still cant decide whether I want the two WE units or just the one. Less drop, less board control, but alot more punch. I kind of need the unit with the banner to clear trolls out of the way.
Name: Ladry (female)
Class: Mage (Pyromancer)
Equipment: Staff, longsword, dagger, 20 gold, insignia ring.
Skills: Power of Aqshy (2), defensive figthing
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.