june 2015 "bragging rights" tournament list for 2400,

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

maximon
Dark Rider

june 2015 "bragging rights" tournament list for 2400,

Post by maximon »

obviously bragging rights isnt for a while, but i made a team with a warriors of chaos season veteran friend, off the slave alter beastmen friend (literally brand new), myself, and a high elf seasoned player friend. we are intentionally making a very mean, very aggressive list. ive had assistance with my list and this is what i've got that does do what i want it to do in melee combat and still defines me of what i love: fighting in melee combat.

this is subject to ETC rules

lords: supreme sorceress, lvl 4. dispell scroll, ward save talisman. lore of death* (subject to change lore wise). 290 points

heroes:

death hag on cauldron. bsb. banner of swiftness. 315 points.

master. mounted on pegasus. sea dragon cloak. heavy armor. shield. lance. cloak of twilight. 186 points

core:

28 witches. full command. razor banner. 383 points

5 dark riders. crossbows. shields. 100 points

dark shards. 120 points.

dark shards. 120 points.

special:

reaper bolt thrower. 70 points

war hydra. 160 points

rare:

10 doomfire warlocks (possibly two units of 5) 250 points

i did add two more reaper bolt throwers, but ETC says i can only have two with all those crossbow weilding dark riders, so i have 140 points to spare and not sure what to do with it
war was made for blood. blood was made for pleasure
Akholrak
Executioner

Re: june 2015 "bragging rights" tournament list for 2400,

Post by Akholrak »

Are you able to add Shades? I can see them being rather useful. With a lot of Vanguarding units, and a big block Witches, movement is important. Shades offer some utility by allowing you to mess with enemy movement as well as support your own by securing Vanguards.

I might also consider adding a Breath Weapon on the Hydra.

With points left after that, I'd probably add Musicians to those Dark Rider units.

Otherwise, this looks a solid and enjoyable list. :)
maximon
Dark Rider

Post by maximon »

for a unit of 10 shades I need 150 points or something, I have 140 to spare. maybe remove a single crossbowmen unit, bring ~ 15 shades and use remaining points as suggested?
maximon
Dark Rider

Post by maximon »

I can also do something like this:

lords: supreme sorceress, lvl 4. dispell scroll, ward save talisman. lore of death* (subject to change lore wise). 290 points

heroes:

death hag on cauldron. bsb. banner of swiftness. 315 points.

master. mounted on pegasus. sea dragon cloak. heavy armor. shield. lance. cloak of twilight. 186 points

core:

28 witches. full command. razor banner. 383 points

dark shards. 120 points.

special:

war hydra. 160 points.
war hydra. breath weapon. 180 points.
rare:

10 doomfire warlocks (possibly two units of 5) 250 points

one less crossbowmen unit for a reaper bolt thrower and another hydra. sitting at 2394 points
Akholrak
Executioner

Post by Akholrak »

I probably should have specified that I was referring to a minimum-sized unit of Shades. No matter, I prefer the second list. The addition of the 3rd Bolt Thrower means you can take out chaff fairly competently (inclusive of RxB shots) and Monsters alike. The addition of another Hydra also means further target saturation. I'd rather potentially lose a Hydra (or not and heal it back up) than lose a Cauldron.

As in my previous post, I think you should try to get Musicians on those Dark Riders, but I can't see where you are going to take the points from in the second list. They're not compulsory, but I think you get more use out of them with one.
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Second list does indeed look better. However my only qualm is with the BSB waving the flag atop the CoB asking to be sniped. Much prefer to change the BSB to the peg master.
maximon
Dark Rider

Post by maximon »

yeah, but I pit it on the death hag for two reasons:

the witches can bring two magic banners. the witches themselves have the razor banner, which helps mow things down. the bsb death had offers the swiftness banner, I can haul ass AND kill better!

the death hag has a 5 up ward for shooting, 4 up for magic. as far as im aware, you cant cannon the death ha who is riding the cauldron; you have to kill the cauldron first, and the cauldron has a 4 up ward, so 50% chance of not getting multiple wounded, making it a pain in the ass to deal with just to kill a character. as for snipe spells from death. 4 up ward. sniping from those empire guys: 5 up ward (do any of those damn snipers cause multiple wounds from a gun?)

the master is mounted on a flying mount, a beckoning target for any cannon, and with no ward mind you for cannons/magic, only BS based shooting. if he was the bsb... he'd die turn one, I at least have a "ugh I gotta cannon that first" thing for the death hag cannon wise and might kill some hydra's first, which is really why they are there: viable options for a cannon so I can keep stuff like the cauldron alive for an extra turn, which hopefully is all I need, and if you don't shoot them, they gonna eat some units (hopefully).
maximon
Dark Rider

Post by maximon »

I believe that what will happen is "oh that's cute, a cauldron of blood. why cannon that when I can simply lure that whole block unit away via frenzy and never get it to where he wants it to go, I think ill cannon a hydra/the peg mastersince that might end up being a real problem" which is yes, incredibly bad for the master on peg and I hope he doesn't die like a biatch, but the goal is that my chaff make it so his block goes where I want it to be so I can absolutely murder it, and use my ranged to completely obliterate chaff and the bolt throwers to kill cannons/characters on a flying mount/any scary mount for that matter/ remove chaff.
maximon
Dark Rider

Post by maximon »

peg characters on scary mounts a few times with reaper bolt throwers, kill chariots via bolt throwers / doombolts, have master do the finishing blow if possible/viable, obliterate chaff, force your combat block my way :3
maximon
Dark Rider

Post by maximon »

have master on peg fight a calvary unit (ON THE CHARGE) after a doombolt and/or a few bolt thrower shots,
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

I understand your reasoning. Just personal preferences.
Both are viable but I am going to have to check the wording of the CoT when I next have my book near me if you are ascertaining only BS shooting ward.

Mod hat on: Please use the edit post button next time instead of multi posts.
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

I suspect that there will be a whole new set of ETC restrictions before this event ...
Truly These are the End Times ...
dms505
Shade

Post by dms505 »

I would add in a unit of 10 execs, standard and champ just as a small can opener. You have tons of other targets for shooting so that could keep them alive until they can hit a monster or unit of knights.
maximon
Dark Rider

Post by maximon »

the wording makes it sound like only BS based shooting. and my bad, he does indeed have a ward save for magic. "the wearer of the Cloak of Twilight has a 3+ ward save against shooting attacks and spells.... " DE rulebook
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

No where in the rule does it mention BS shooting only. Ward is against all shots.

Read what the rule actually says rather than what you believe it implies, you will be surprised at the number of misconceptions to the rules there are.
Akholrak
Executioner

Post by Akholrak »

Amboadine wrote:No where in the rule does it mention BS shooting only. Ward is against all shots.

This. The wearer of the Cloak of Twilight will have the ward save against BS shooting and Warmachines alike. As you can see, it's a pretty damn good item.
maximon
Dark Rider

Post by maximon »

oh thats awesome thern, ward save for cannons