2500 Points - No restrictions, League game vs Dwarves

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Languste
Trainee Warrior

2500 Points - No restrictions, League game vs Dwarves

Post by Languste »

Hi guys!

Last game in our little league for me. My last opponent is the Dwarf. This game pretty much decides if I win the league or not, so I really wanna make sure to have the nastiest, auto win list I can think of ;-)

So far, I ended up with this:

Lords (282pts)
Dreadlord (282pts)
Dark Steed (20pts), Heavy Armor (6pts), Repeater Crossbow (5pts), Sea Dragon Cloak (8pts), Shield (3pts)
Ogre Blade (40pts)
DE - The Black Amulet (60pts)

Heroes (728pts)
Master (180pts)
Dark Pegasus (50pts), Halberd (2pts), Sea Dragon Cloak (6pts), Shield (2pts)
Armour of Destiny (50pts)

Master (186pts)
Dark Pegasus (50pts), Heavy Armor (4pts), Lance (6pts), Sea Dragon Cloak (6pts)
Charmed Shield (5pts)
Talisman of Preservation (45pts)

Master (188pts)
Dark Pegasus (50pts), Heavy Armor (4pts), Lance (6pts), Sea Dragon Cloak (6pts), Shield (2pts)
DE - Cloak of Twilight (50pts)

Master (174pts)
Battle Standard Bearer (25pts), Dark Steed (10pts), Lance (6pts), Repeater Crossbow (5pts), Sea Dragon Cloak (6pts), Shield (2pts)
Glittering Scales (25pts)
Dawnstone (25pts)

Core (630pts)
Dark Riders (110pts)
Musician (10pts)

Dark Riders (230pts)
Herald (10pts), Musician (10pts), Standard bearer (10pts)

Darkshards (290pts)
Guardmaster (10pts), Musician (10pts), Standard bearer (10pts)
20x Darkshards (260pts)
20x Shield (20pts)

Rare (250pts)
5x Doomfire Warlocks (125pts)

5x Doomfire Warlocks (125pts)

Special (610pts)
8x Cold One Knights (240pts), Standard bearer (10pts)

Reaper Bolt Thrower (70pts)

5x Shades (80pts)

The Dreadlord and the Master BSB go into the big Dark Riders. I don't know exactly how many shots per phase i got, but it must be around 100. So I'm gonna try to take out the warmachines and gyrocopters first. Once these threats are gone I expect one unit of hammerers with most of the characters, one unit of core infantry and one big unit of quarrelers to be left on the field. I don't know if I should touch the hammerers with what I got, but I should be able to clear everything else.

One point I'm not entirely sure of, is the unit of COK. First I had a Lvl4 Shadow in the list, but i dropped her because: A) I don't need magic defense vs Dwarf, B) Dwarves are magic killers and I'm afraid, I won't get many spells off, C) I got two units of Warlocks with each a really good magic missile and on of the best hex-spells (that is not remains in play, like shadow-hexes).

What do you say?
Languste
Trainee Warrior

Re: 2500 Points - No restrictions, League game vs Dwarves

Post by Languste »

No replies yet? Is this forum dead now or is my list just too boring? I really like discussing army lists and stuff, so please don't tell me this part of warhammer has gone now beacuse of AoS...

Anyway, just in case somebody shows up here, I worked a little on the list and now it looks like this (please keep in mind: it's a tournament between friends and we agreed to bring the biggest cheese possible out of our armybooks. Also, we use ET-50%-Lord/hero-rules):

Lords (282pts)
Dreadlord (282pts)
Dark Steed, Heavy Armor, Repeater Crossbow, Sea Dragon Cloak, Shield, Ogre Blade, The Black Amulet

Heroes (728pts)
Master (180pts)
Dark Pegasus, Halberd, Sea Dragon Cloak, Shield, Armour of Destiny

Master (186pts)
Dark Pegasus , Heavy Armor, Lance, Sea Dragon Cloak, Charmed Shield, Talisman of Preservation

Master (188pts)
Dark Pegasus, Heavy Armor, Lance, Sea Dragon Cloak, Shield, Cloak of Twilight

Master (174pts)
Battle Standard Bearer, Dark Steed, Lance, Repeater Crossbow, Sea Dragon Cloak, Shield, Glittering Scales, Dawnstone

Core (630pts)
5x Dark Riders (110pts) M

10x Dark Riders (230pts) FCM

20x Darkshards (260pts) FCM, Shields

Special (360pts)

5x Shades (80pts)

Rare (500pts)
10x Doomfire Warlocks (250pts)

10x Doomfire Warlocks (250pts)

I think this should be pretty strong, with all the good stuff from the book: light cav characters, pegasus-masters, lots of warlocks and a massive amount of bolts.

What I don't know is: How can this list perform vs Dwarfs. I got no real combat so I need to kill half of any unit I wanna engage and put a hex spell on them before I can attack with mltiple units. Too risky going without a lvl4 shadow?
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

Hi Languste, forum is indeed a little dead because of Age of Sigmar. I fear 8th edition will only keep dying but there is a great alternative for the future (9th age) which is an 9th edition based on the warhammer we love. Your last list looks perfect! Personally i would use 2 x 10 or 20 witch elves instead of RXB as fodder and to add some more combat punch. My experience with RXB against dwarfs is that they fail to inflict significant damage and are easily outshot / destroyed. Another option can be big unit of spears to break steadfast of enemy combat blocks while they got flanked by your fast stuff.

Against dwarfs try to kill his shooting + flying stuff asap so you control the board and can set up the combats.
Languste
Trainee Warrior

Post by Languste »

Thanks for the info and reflection on the list, Lord Drakon. Well, witch elves yes, I thought about them. I just have a couple of reasons why I have not included a small unit of them: First, they don't really fit to the fast mover style and shooting style of the rest of the list. Second, they would be the only thing that's totaly naked and a good invitation for the organ guns or quarrelers to shoot at. I'm afraid not one will get to the target. Third: I like the idea of having just 40 extra bolts from the core. of course they will only kill a couple of dwarfs per turn, but every single hammerer less in that block will make the final charge an easier one. Normally I would always prefer witches but in this "wait, shoot and attack when the prey is tired and weakend"-strategy, I feel better with the crossbows.

Yes 9th age - i heared of that. Here in germany - at least in the forums - that's a thing now i guess. For me or or our group there will be no moving away from 8th. We just have not explored enough of it, battles are still fun and it's still growing on us. So there's really no need for a change. AoS sucks anyway and is getting worse with every release so that's not an option at all. 9th age could be something, once we get tired of 8th. I took a brief look at the "Dread Elves" army book and it seems there were some nice ideas in it! But by the time we are done with 8th, maybe there is already a new, real, warhammer fantasy on the market ;-)