1600 Points 9th AGE

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Kelian Durak
Slave (off the Altar)

1600 Points 9th AGE

Post by Kelian Durak »

Greetings from Germany,

Yesterday I played my first 9th AGE game versus Orks. I must admit that the new system looks very good. The developers did a good job with the basic rules. I am pretty sure, that with the support of the WHF comunity, 9th AGE will establish itself in a couple of months. So this my current list, which I will try out in the next couple of weeks. I am thankful for every bit of advise, upgrades or tipps.

Heroes
1x captain incl. General, HA, shield, raptor, beastmasters lash, dragonscale helm
1x captain incl. BSB, HA, raptor, sword of strength, hardened shield, dusk stone, beastmaster
1x captain incl. HA, shield, raptor chariot, bluffers helm, razor blade

CORE
10x dark raiders incl. Musician, standard, RXB, shield
14x corsairs incl. Musician, standard, throwing weapons

SPECIAL
1x raptor chariot
8x dread knights incl. FC, Bloody Banner of Nabh

RARE
5x acolytes incl. Champion, Cult of Yema, poison darts

Both general and bsb go into the knights which will be my hammer. My chariot captain will be the anvil/tank. Corsairs are redirectors.
Welcome to the 9th AGE.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Re: 1600 Points 9th AGE

Post by Calisson »

Kelian Durak wrote:Yesterday I played my first 9th AGE game versus Orks. I must admit that the new system looks very good. The developers did a good job with the basic rules. I am pretty sure, that with the support of the WHF comunity, 9th AGE will establish itself in a couple of months.
Willkommen auf unserer Website, Kelian Durak! :)
We are also convinced in D.net that 9th Age will meet success.

I have no experience in 9th Age myself, but will develop certainly a great interest when the AB with fluff will be delivered, and when the rules are stabilized.

In your list, I am surprised to see the captain with chariot, given the outrageous price of the chariot.
I would expect to field the chariot by tself and spare a lot of pts. But I may have missed something.

Shooting corsairs seem odd in such number.
I would expect a minimum size unit for an expandable, taunting unit.
Or, if this unit is destined to have some melee activity, they might well get some additional weapon, that's cheap and they become more versatile. A couple more bodies wouldn't hurt, too.

Now, you seem to have set up some roles for them.
Have fun!
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Kelian Durak
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Kelian Durak »

Thx Callison for the quick reply. I admit that chariot captain is really expensive but he should do the anvil job as good as a small block of infantry units. With T5, W4, 2+ armor and every dealt wound to the chariot must be rerolled, should make my captain a tough nut to crack. I have to test the chariot captain in a couple of games against diffrent types of army lists first to determin its effectiveness.
Welcome to the 9th AGE.
toots
Beastmaster

Post by toots »

lol i'm playing 1500 tomorrow night too with a block of cold ones. T4: i'm loving it!

it looks pretty good, you've got magic covered with the warlocks. on my BSB in cold ones i have the hardened shield and 45pt MR3 item. i'm also using a hydra as a bullet magnet as it can take some punishment and the real stars are the cold ones with beastmaster upgrade on the BSB.

i wouldn't take 14 corsairs if you're going to use them as redirectors, perhaps swap for 5 dark riders if you have them.

tbh in my cold ones i've just got a bsb, don't think it needs a general in there too at 1600. perhaps drop the hero from the chariot too and get a hydra in there? 210pts with flame breath. i can just see everything shooting towards the cold ones from turn 1, i know i would. get the banner of swiftness on there to ensure a turn-2 charge connection! and also maybe a bit of magic res. magic missiles incoming!!!

have fun and let me know how it goes!

tootsy collins

Kelian Durak wrote:Greetings from Germany,

Yesterday I played my first 9th AGE game versus Orks. I must admit that the new system looks very good. The developers did a good job with the basic rules. I am pretty sure, that with the support of the WHF comunity, 9th AGE will establish itself in a couple of months. So this my current list, which I will try out in the next couple of weeks. I am thankful for every bit of advise, upgrades or tipps.

Heroes
1x captain incl. General, HA, shield, raptor, beastmasters lash, dragonscale helm
1x captain incl. BSB, HA, raptor, sword of strength, hardened shield, dusk stone, beastmaster
1x captain incl. HA, shield, raptor chariot, bluffers helm, razor blade

CORE
10x dark raiders incl. Musician, standard, RXB, shield
14x corsairs incl. Musician, standard, throwing weapons

SPECIAL
1x raptor chariot
8x dread knights incl. FC, Bloody Banner of Nabh

RARE

Both general and bsb go into the knights which will be my hammer. My chariot captain will be the anvil/tank. Corsairs are redirectors.
Kelian Durak
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Kelian Durak »

THX toots for your reply. I reconsidered your suggestions and rebuild my armylist. Here is the new version:

Heroes
1x captain incl. HA, shield, raptor chariot, bluffers helm, razor blade, RXB

CORE
8x dark raiders incl. Musician, standard, RXB, shield

SPECIAL
1x raptor chariot
8x dread knights incl. FC, Banner of Speed

RARE

The armylist is pretty mobile now and reminds me of my 2400 ETC list. 3x banners should ensure my options to hold secondery mission objectives on the battlefield. I am pretty curious about my chariot-captain since it is my first time, using a mounted characer on chariot.
Welcome to the 9th AGE.
toots
Beastmaster

Post by toots »

yeah i played last night and got destroyed pretty badly when my level 3 miscast and blew the unit up, causing 10 dark riders to run off the board along with the caster. 1500pts. definitely don't bother with a proper caster at such low points values. don't know how casting works with the warlocks now though (i'm stuck using the old names).

i personally (pleonasm) would:

- drop the hero on the chariot but keep the chariot.
- change the lord equipment to giant blade, dawnstone and dragon helm
- change bsb equipment to MR3 item and enchanted (hardened) shield
- buy a unit of harpies with the points saved by the chariot hero going. have this hovering behind your cold ones, then once the cold ones have connected in turn two (aim for that! because they'll be aiming for you...) you can chaff/protect the flank of the cold ones and get another two rounds of combat with your killy dreadlord.

but - do please let me know how it goes with your list. you'll definitely fare better than i did!

Kelian Durak wrote:THX toots for your reply. I reconsidered your suggestions and rebuild my armylist. Here is the new version:

Heroes
1x captain incl. HA, shield, raptor chariot, bluffers helm, razor blade, RXB

CORE

SPECIAL
1x raptor chariot
8x dread knights incl. FC, Banner of Speed

RARE

The armylist is pretty mobile now and reminds me of my 2400 ETC list. 3x banners should ensure my options to hold secondery mission objectives on the battlefield. I am pretty curious about my chariot-captain since it is my first time, using a mounted characer on chariot.
Kelian Durak
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Kelian Durak »

Hello guys, 2h ago I played vs Orks and won! I lost 1x chariot, 1x unit of raiders and my dread knights. Here my recap:

Chariot-Captain
- with T5, W4, 2+ armor a very tough guy to crack
- I charged into a black orc unit (20x models) with general and lost 2 wounds
- I managed to hold 3x rounds of combat, since my opponent had to reroll all successful 2-wound rolls against my chariot
- while the black orks were occupied with the chatiot, my raptor-bus charged into a huge block of nightgobbos with spears & shields

Raptor-Bus
- the nightgobbos and gobbo-bsb killed all of my dread knights
- my general & bsb managed to kill the gobbo-bsb and a couple of goblins
- the raptors are pretty tough because of W4 and 2+ armor
- HATRED due to my beastmaster skill is nice to have especially vs WS2 modells

Acolytes
- expansive but still very strong
- I like the path of lust since crippling agony is the stronger spell for this unit

Next week I will try out the same list VS lizardmen. I am already very excited and I will keep you posted.
Welcome to the 9th AGE.