First stab at a 9th age list - 2500(0.11.0)

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Dunya
Executioner

First stab at a 9th age list - 2500(0.11.0)

Post by Dunya »

Hello, haven't posted here in forever.

I've been on the fence about getting into the 9th age, but I decided to finally give it a chance. I've yet to play an actual game under the new rules, so I assume there's going to be a lot of room for improvement in the list. I decided to stick to somewhat familiar ground, and use units/combinations that I know worked well in previous army books. I was tempted to try some kind of heavy Beastmaster setup, and I probably am going to try that out at some point. Anyway here goes:

Lords:
Cult High Priest of Nabh (General) - Divne Alter of Nabh, Light Armour, Dragonscale Helm (328)
Exalted Oracle (Black Magic) - Level 4, Dispel Scroll (260)

Heroes:
Captain (BSB) - Manticore, Lance, Heavy Armor, Shield, Midnight Cloak, Beastmaster (328)
Assassin - Nightshade, Additional Hand Weapon (116)

Core:
5 Dark Raiders - Musician, Repeater Crossbows (110)
10 Repeater Auxiliary - Musician, Standard (130)
28 Dread Legionaries - Cult of Nabh, Full Command, Spears (282)

Special:
30 Executioners - Full Command (420)
6 Ravencloaks - Additional Hand Weapons (102)
Raptor Chariot (100)

Rare:
6 Dark Acolytes - Champion (214)

----

I'm not overly impressed by the Rare Monsters at first glance. Instead I decided to go for the Manticore Captain and a Chariot, which both seem extremely cost-efficient. I also really like the reintroduction of the throwing star Assassin. I honestly still think Dark Acolytes are a great pick even at their new cost, goes to show how far off the mark the old points-cost was.

My immediate assesment is that 9th age seems to have toned the army down a notch without being too harsh, which is great imo. I might be wrong ofcourse.

Any comments, criticism and corrections would be much appreciated.
Dunya
Executioner

Re: First stab at a 9th age list - 2500(0.11.0)

Post by Dunya »

Making a few changes, primarily to the Dread Legionaires as I don't envision 28 of them contributing too much. Also skipped the Crossbow bunker and put the Exalted Oracle on a horse with a Ward.

Lords:
Cult High Priest of Nabh (General) - Divne Alter of Nabh, Light Armour, Dragonscale Helm (328)
Exalted Oracle (Black Magic) - Level 4, Dispel Scroll, Talisman of Supreme Shielding, Elven Horse (330)

Heroes:
Captain (BSB) - Manticore, Lance, Heavy Armor, Shield, Midnight Cloak, Beastmaster (328)

Core:
5 Dark Raiders - Cult of Nabh, Musician, Repeater Crossbows (115)
40 Dread Legionaries - Cult of Nabh, Full Command, Spears, War Banner (405)

Special:
30 Executioners - Full Command (420)
7 Ravencloaks - Additional Hand Weapons, Champion (129)

Rare:
----

Had to let go of the Chariot which is a shame, but keeping the spellcaster alive has to be a priority. I believe the Nabh upgrade on the Executioners is a bit of a liability, too many points invested in a t3, 5+ AS elf is pretty easy to exploit.
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

Hi your list looks great! I used the nightshade assassins several times combined with 10 shades and it hurts! Shooting assassins are indeed back. I also like the BSB build, just make sure he charges. I was fairly disappointed with warlocks because champion easily dies in combat or miscasts, but maybe you have more success!
Dunya
Executioner

Post by Dunya »

Lord Drakon wrote:I was fairly disappointed with warlocks because champion easily dies in combat or miscasts, but maybe you have more success!

Well, luckily Dark Acolytes are still a very powerful unit even without the ability to cast spells. I included the 6th rider so that the champion cannot be picked off by Bolt Throwers etc. without removing a model, but you're right he's a bit vulnerable. I still prefer them to a secondary Oracle from an "economic" standpoint though.

I'm quite tempted to go with the Nabh upgrade for the Executioners tbh, maybe slim down the Ravencloaks and the extra equipment on the General to get the 60 points. 15 points pr model is alot, but I guess the 5+ Ward blessing sort of helps that situation. Without Nabh I'm afraid they'd get punished quite hard by the new Parry rule, though I suppose its a matter of getting the right matchups.
Dunya
Executioner

Post by Dunya »

I just realized that the Divine Blessing are applied at the start of the Game Turn and not the Player Turn. So even if I don't get first turn I can still put up the 5+ Ward on the Execs. So:

Lords:
Cult High Priest of Nabh (General) - Divne Alter of Nabh (310)
Exalted Oracle (Black Magic) - Level 4, Dispel Scroll, Talisman of Supreme Shielding, Elven Horse (330)

Heroes:

Core:
40 Dread Legionaries - Cult of Nabh, Full Command, Spears, War Banner (405)

Special:
30 Executioners - Full Command, Cult of Nabh (480)
5 Ravencloaks - Additional Hand Weapons (85)

Rare:
----
Dunya
Executioner

Post by Dunya »

I guess a softer army (hopefully this changes), but an army that I'd prefer to play, would be something along these lines:

Lords:
Exalted Oracle (Black Magic) - Level 4, Dispel Scroll, Talisman of Shielding (265)

Heroes:
Captain (BSB) - Beast Bane Halberd, Crimson Mail (145)

Core:
28 Dread Legionaries - Full Command, Spears, War Banner (277)
11 Repeater Auxiliary - Musician (131)

Special:
20 Tower Guard - Full Command, Dread Guardians, Bloody Banner of Nabh (365)
10 Dread Knights - Full Command (290)
5 Ravencloaks - Additional Hand Weapons, Poisoned Attacks (90)

Rare:
6 Dark Acolytes - Champion, Poison Darts (220)
Divine Alter of Yema (200)
Hydra (180)
----

Very minimal on characters, lots of board presence. I'm just not convinced it measures up to the overall powerlevel of an Exec horde with Hatred basically deleting any unit they touch from the front, not to mention the Manticore Captain. I could be wrong ofcourse, I need to playtest the lists.
Dunya
Executioner

Post by Dunya »

I hope nobody minds if I use this thread as a bit of a Work in Progress kind of a deal, as I expand my understanding of the 9th book. If I come up with something I feel is rock solid allround I'll post a new thread with final list(s). So get ready for some more lists dammit!
toots
Beastmaster

Post by toots »

Surely you'll want shields on those dark riders? The musician is great to have but optional; the shields are a must though

Dunya wrote:I guess a softer army (hopefully this changes), but an army that I'd prefer to play, would be something along these lines:

Lords:
Exalted Oracle (Black Magic) - Level 4, Dispel Scroll, Talisman of Shielding (265)

Heroes:
Captain (BSB) - Beast Bane Halberd, Crimson Mail (145)

Core:
28 Dread Legionaries - Full Command, Spears, War Banner (277)

Special:
10 Dread Knights - Full Command (290)
5 Ravencloaks - Additional Hand Weapons, Poisoned Attacks (90)

Rare:
6 Dark Acolytes - Champion, Poison Darts (220)
Divine Alter of Yema (200)
Hydra (180)
----

Very minimal on characters, lots of board presence. I'm just not convinced it measures up to the overall powerlevel of an Exec horde with Hatred basically deleting any unit they touch from the front, not to mention the Manticore Captain. I could be wrong ofcourse, I need to playtest the lists.
Dunya
Executioner

Post by Dunya »

I decided to go with the theme of the book and break down the armies into 3 main categories:
1. Yema General with Yema Corsairs for core and Dancers of Yema as the primary special choice.
2. Nabh General with Nabh Spears for core and Nabh Executioners as the primary special choice.
3. Nondistinct General with an MMU approach. Tower Guard and Dread Knights making up the bulk of special.
I'll try and evaluate them and explain my thought process as best I can at the end of each armylist.

------ The Yema Army ------
Lords:
Exalted Oracle (Black Magic, General) - Level 4, Dispel Scroll, Cult of Yema, Talisman of Supreme Shielding, Elven Horse (350)

Heroes:
Captain (BSB) - Manticore, Beastmaster, Heavy Armour, Shield, Lance, Midnight Cloak (328)

Core:
5 Dark Raiders - Shields, Musician, Repeater Crossbows, Cult of Yema (125)
5 Dark Raiders - Shields, Musician, Repeater Crossbows, Cult of Yema (125)
30 Corsairs - Full Command, Throwing Weapons, Additional Hand Weapons, War Banner, Cult of Yema (375)

Special:
30 Dancers of Yema - Full Command (420)
Dread Reaper (60)
Dread Reaper (60)
Raptor Chariot (100)

Rare:
6 Dark Acolytes - Champion, Poison Darts, Cult of Yema (226)
5 Dark Acolytes - Poison Darts, Cult of Yema (130)
Divine Altar of Yema (200)
----
2499, 87 Models

The frame of this army is essentially identical to my current 8th list. Only differences would be that the 8th army has a Kraken, a Pegasus Master and the COB inside Witches, whereas this army runs a Manticore Captain and has the Alter of Yema in a free role. The primary difference between the lists lies in the Infantry. My opponents are going to be looking at two hordes of 30 Corsairs and 30 Dancers of Yema vs the tried and true Witch Elf and Executioner combo. I'm fairly confident that this army would perform reasonably well. My assesment is that this is by no means overpowered due to the decreased power of the Warlocks and the removal of core Witch Elves.

------ The Nabh Army ------
Lords:
Cult High Priest of Nabh(General) - Divine Altar of Nabh (310)

Heroes:
Captain (BSB) - Manticore, Beastmaster, Heavy Armour, Shield, Lance, Midnight Cloak (328)

Core:
10 Repeater Auxiliary - Musician (120)
40 Dread Legionnaires - Full Command, Spears, War Banner, Cult of Nabh (395)

Special:
30 Executioners - Full Command, Icon of the Relentless Company, Cult of Nabh (495)
Dread Reaper - Repeating Shot (75)
Raptor Chariot (100)

Rare:
6 Dark Acolytes - Champion, Poison Darts (226)
----
2498, 98 Models

This army is slightly heavier than the other armies in term of board presence and mobility, specifically this army only runs 2 units of Vanguards/Scouts as opposed to 4. The reason I chose this route is due to the cost of the Nabh Executioners themselves aswell as the more expensive Divine Altar. However, 30 Executioners with Hatred is a fairly unpleasant prospect, especially considering the potential +1A from the Altar. The 40 Spears I chose to run without Heavy Armour as any sane opponent would prioritize the Executioners with shooting/magic, which makes the 5+ Ward blessing essential to this strategy. If I am to be completely honest, I would rate this army as slightly weaker than the Yema one. Why? The decreased mobility really hurts from an aggresive perspective in my experience. The 310pt Nabh Altar is also most likely going to perform very similarly to the 200pt Yema Altar in terms of the actual impact it has on the game.

------ The Balanced Army ------
Lords:

Heroes:
Assassin - Nightshade, Additional Hand Weapons (116)

Core:
5 Dark Raiders - Shields, Musician, Repeater Crossbows (120)
10 Repeater Auxiliary - Musician (120)
28 Dread Legionnaires - Full Command, Spears, War Banner (269)

Special:
21 Tower Guard - Full Command, Bloody Banner of Nabh (338)
10 Dread Knight - Full Command (290)
7 Raven Cloaks - Additional Hand Weapons (119)

Rare:
6 Dark Acolytes - Champion, Poison Darts (226)
----
2500, 91 Models

This is the type of army that I'll most likely end up playing as it fits my model collection the best. It also is a great throwback to the late 7th/early 8th armybook, which has to be my favorite book in Warhammer history. It does not not have the same raw efficiency of the horde based armies, but it is the most flexible army out of the 3. This army should also be the most dominant when it comes to gaining control of the movement game. The Shade+Assassin combo is basically a 22" death zone for most small and fast unit configurations, and the Dark Acolytes are also quite excellent in this regard. Its a very different army, and thus a bit difficult to quantify in terms of power. In my heart of hearts I probably still think the Yema army is the overall winner in terms of quality, though I am in love with this kind of army. :)
Dunya
Executioner

Post by Dunya »

toots wrote:Surely you'll want shields on those dark riders? The musician is great to have but optional; the shields are a must though

Yeah I think you're right, a little hestitant about the cost so I personally wouldn't consider them a must 100% of the time. If I'm playing a really aggressive and killy army the Dark Riders are rarely a priority target. Still in the process of tweaking all those little details though. The Musician on Fast Cav I don't even think about anymore, just something I've been doing for 8-10years, still helps them rally from fleeing charges no?
toots
Beastmaster

Post by toots »

i'd definitely get the shields on your dark riders!

also - i'm not too sure how to use scouts in this edition since the 18" away rule has been introduced. were you aware of that?

Dunya wrote:
toots wrote:Surely you'll want shields on those dark riders? The musician is great to have but optional; the shields are a must though

Yeah I think you're right, a little hestitant about the cost so I personally wouldn't consider them a must 100% of the time. If I'm playing a really aggressive and killy army the Dark Riders are rarely a priority target. Still in the process of tweaking all those little details though. The Musician on Fast Cav I don't even think about anymore, just something I've been doing for 8-10years, still helps them rally from fleeing charges no?
Dunya
Executioner

Post by Dunya »

Yeah, I did catch that. It certainly is a bit hampering, I can't say too much on that topic without some more playtesting I guess. I do think 116 pts for the Assassin is a bargain, and the Raven Cloaks are the obvious choice for him. Their effective range is 22"; march 10" - Shoot 12", so I don't believe the 18" rule is too much of a problem.
Dunya
Executioner

Post by Dunya »

After much deliberation I've found the army that I'm going to be playing atleast untill the next rules update. Its not the most competitive choice, but it suits my model collection well. Most importantly I just like it. Seeing as I've been playing the horde style Khainite army for quite a while now, this is a nice switch to something a bit more flexible and hopefully not too terrible.

Lords:
Exalted Oracle (General, Black) - Level 3, Tome of Arcane Lore, Talisman of Shielding (220)

Heroes:
Captain (BSB) - Raptor, Beast Master, Heavy Armour, Hardened Shield, Lance, Lucky Charm, Beastmaster's Lash (190)
Captain - Fleshrender, Crimson Mail (110)
Oracle (Fire) - Level 1, Dispel Scroll (105)

Core:
28 Dread Legionnaires - Full Command, Spears, Banner of Courage (259)

Special:
9 Dread Knights - Full Command (264)
5 Raven Cloaks - Additional Hand Weapons (85)

Rare:
Hydra (180)
----
2499, 86 Models

There are a couple of neat little synergies with the Captains that give the army some flair imo. One being that the guy on foot benifits from Hatred in the Tower Guard unit, basically compensating for the weakness of his Great Weapon. The other is the Beast Master in the knight unit who will be giving either the Raptors or prefereably the Hydra re-rolls, so they'll be working as a tag team of sorts. The Altar of Yema is primarily going to be backing up the Tower Guard for that 5+ WS, and the small Spear unit will look to pick a fight with anything they can Lethal Strike.