1500pts "traditional" army

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

1500pts "traditional" army

Post by Daeron »

So, my buddies and I played a game a few weeks back. I had to jumble a 1500 pts list together. I tried to combine models I had painted, and only took the COKs unit as unpainted models in the army.
I have a lot more to paint ;)
I took a unit of Warlocks which isn't very traditional, but then I wanted some magic support since a lone caster can be a little error prone.

The list should fight HEs and Dwarves.

- Supreme Sorceress, Black Amulet
- Master on Cold One, heavy armour, sea dragon cloak, BSB, dawnstone, great weapon
- 30 Dreadspears, full command, standard of discipline
- 14 Darkshards, musician, Shields
- 5 Dark Riders, Shields, Crossbows, Musician
- 6 Cold One Knights, Champion, Musician
- Reaper Bolt Thrower
- Reaper Bolt Thrower
- 5 Warlocks

I may have to double check the details, but I don't have them on me right now.

A quick rundown of the fight against HE. The list performed better than I expected. There was a moment of glory with a lucky shot from the DR's taking out the HE bolt thrower by themselves in 1 volley. The 30 Dreadspears took out Phoenix Guard with a little help from magic. They did just about enough wounds to win by a few points and the Phoenix Guard were out of range of their BSB, and didn't have stubborn against the ranks of my dreadspears. They fled, and were caught, ouch.
The Cold One Knight unit really needed that 6'th model (it makes such a difference!), and performed admirably, taking out a unit of archers all by themselves.
In retrospect, I may have outcheesed my opponent with the Warlocks though so I'm a little annoyed by the power level of the unit. The rolls tilted in my favour as well. Although I did manage to pick favourable matchups, most fights were 1-on-1 with little tactical ingenuity.
My opponent conceded after turn 3.

Still, it was a good showcase for the powerlevel of the army. Perhaps if I trade the Warlocks for Dark Riders, I keep the mobility and tone down the power to a more enjoyable level.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Re: 1500pts "traditional" army

Post by Calisson »

Nice to hear some reports of games.
Well done!
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: 1500pts "traditional" army

Post by Daeron »

Past Friday we had some more games. In one of the battles, two of our buddies wanted to duke it out... One player didn't have a lot of experience with WFB, and the other tried my DE list for a change (he plays Dwarfs, usually).

The opponent brought Wood Elves, with:
- A lord on dragon
- A level 2 mage
- Some trueflight archers
- 2 units of Glade Riders
- 1 unit of deer cavalry
- 1 Treeman

Focused fire killed most of the trueflight archers early on, and provided good support later on. The Cold One Knights went after the Treeman with a little bit of magic support, killing it. They then used "challenge with a champion" tricks to survive a few rounds against the Dragon. I think it took 3 rounds for the dragon to kill the Cold Ones (after killing the champ and the BSB in a duel). By that time the Lord on the dragon had died, rendering it unbreakable but also unable to move.

Another highlight was a unit of Dark Riders, surviving two volleys of fire from Glade Riders until they were down to 2 riders. Then they got a flank charge on the buck riders and managed to break them. They didn't catch them.

The dreadspears never really saw battle, but served as a defensive bunker to lock down one of the flanks.

So.. a lot of individual match-ups and a few unexpected charges. In most cases this list came out on top, or managed to use technicalities in the rules to block the opponent. It made for a slightly odd but fun game, and impressed me that this list is tougher than it looks.
I'm not sure how it would hold against a seasoned player, but it has a lot of tricks.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze