9th Age - two lists @ 2500, please help

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

nevaenuffbass
Warrior

9th Age - two lists @ 2500, please help

Post by nevaenuffbass »

I have only had 2 games of T9A so far, but have signed up for a 2500 pt tournament. Keen for as much guidance as you can offer. Of the two lists, the first is MSU, where I'll be looking to win by killing all the enemies chaff, and avoiding their combat blocks. Second list is all about having good combat power.

List 1: MSU
Dread Prince, Manticore, Flame Lance, Midnight Cloak, Strength potion, dragonscale helm, heavy armour, shield. (Role - to kill monsters and things like Mournfang cav, on the charge - will collect points. But will the frenzy of the manticore be a pain? Should I go pegasus instead (have both models)) (348 pts)
Assassin, path of silent death, paired weapons, nightshade (141 points)
Oracle, lvl 2, dispel scroll (fire, 130 pts)
Oracle, lvl 2, (fire, 95 pts)

10 Blades of nabh, champ (140)
10 Blades of nabh, champ (140)
5 Dark riders, shields, musician (110)
10 Repeater Auxillaries, Musician (120)
10 Repeater auxillaries, musician (120)

16 Executioners, full command, banner of cleansing flame (260)
20 Tower guard, Full command, banner of blood (325)
5 harpies (65)
5 Harpies (65)

3 x dread reaper, with repeating shot (80ea)
10 Raven Cloaks, great weapons (200, assassin goes here)

Second list

Exalted Oracle, level 4, Dagger of Moraec, Talisman of supreme shielding (nature) (300) (would really like to take a second arcane item to ensure she gets oaken throne & regen & and +4T spells)
Cult Priest, ring of spite, BSB, Altar of Nabh,, executioners blade, light armour
Oracle, dispel scroll (fire?) (105) (Scroll caddy, +1 channel)

29 Blades of nabh, full command, flaming banner (359)
26 Dread legionnaires, spears (because they are the models I have), Fcomd, banner of discipline (259, mage bunker and dagger victims)

10 Dread knights, Fcomd (290)
5 Harpies (65)
5 Harpies (65)
30 Tower Guard, Fcomd, Banner of blood (475)

2 Repeater Bolt throwers (80 each)

Idea of the second list is that the altar and the nature mage will buff the 3 combat blocks. Bolt throwers and a harpies are for the chaff war, which admittedly seems underdone (hence fire magic on the lvl 1 - for fireball)

Keen for any advice, and which list anyone can see being the stronger one?
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Re: 9th Age - two lists @ 2500, please help

Post by Calisson »

The first list is about movement synergies, the second one about buff synergy.
It really depends on your own preference,
do you like better MSU and narrow victories with the chaff war & avoidance,
or do you like real fights?
Based on discussions on T9A, it seems that with current rules, MSU is slightly more risky than large blocks.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
nevaenuffbass
Warrior

Post by nevaenuffbass »

I am tending toward the second one... partly because I don't trust my skill level / experience with the MSU.

Do you think I have enough chaff in the second list? I am thinking of dropping the blades of nabh for some dark riders / small RXbow units.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

nevaenuffbass wrote:Do you think I have enough chaff in the second list? I am thinking of dropping the blades of nabh for some dark riders / small RXbow units.
This looks like a great compromize.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Killerk
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Killerk »

I just don't the that life magic working. Its great on paper but getting combos off is rare. While it is fun, for tournament play I would suggest something more reliable. Like fire or black magic.
Also known as Kanadian
Clockwork
Highborn

Post by Clockwork »

Killerk wrote:I just don't the that life magic working. Its great on paper but getting combos off is rare. While it is fun, for tournament play I would suggest something more reliable. Like fire or black magic.

Speaking from practical experience, I would not rate Black magic as "reliable." It suffers very strongly from short ranges, especially the attribute and damage spells, and it is usually very clear which is the best spell to cast in any scenario (and which is the best one for the opponent to concentrate on dispelling).

To summarise my experience, it created no ranged pressure, did not help any of my units get into combat, and contributed very little to my units winning any combats once they got there. Take Fire.
tehnico
Warrior

Post by tehnico »

Wilderness. Beast within is a ridiculous buff for CoK's.