8th Edition: 1500 vs Bretonnia

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Duckman5
Corsair

8th Edition: 1500 vs Bretonnia

Post by Duckman5 »

Hi all,

Recently one of my friends pulled me in to Warhammer by gifting me his childhood Dark Elf army (he switched to Bretonnia in high school), and I've augmented it with a few of my own purchases. We've played some smaller Warbands skirmishes but this weekend we're scheduled to play my first 1500 point game, very exciting! Here's what I'm considering so far:

Core
10 x Darkshards, Shields
20 x Corsairs, Additional Hand Weapons, Full Command, Lichebone Pennant
5 x Darkriders, Musician, Crossbows, Shields

Special
5 x Cold One Knights, Full Command, Standard of Discipline, Dread Knight with Biting Blade
2 x Reaper Bolt Thrower
War Hydra, Spit Fire

Lords
Supreme Sorceress, Lvl 4, Lore of Metal, Talisman of Preservation, Staff of Sorcery

Heroes
Master, BSB, Dark Steed, Heavy Armor, Sea Dragon Cloak, Enchanted Shield, Halberd, Ruby Ring of Ruin, Talisman of Protection

=1492. Thinking of taking brace of Handbows for Corsair champion, or another 5pt magic item somewhere.
Thinking I'll use the Darkshards and Reaper Bolt Throwers to try to control the middle, use Corsairs to draw his charges and Hydra/Cold One Knights to flank, Dark Riders to hunt for war machines.

I'd love any comments or revisions! I really don't know what I'm doing yet.
Thanks in advance!
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Re: 8th Edition: 1500 vs Bretonnia

Post by T.D. »

8th edition? :mrgreen: You are a man of taste and style 8)

Looks OK.

I'd go with the flame template on the Hydra.

Metal is a good choice on the sorceress for armour breaking to go with your 2 RBT.

You might find yourself being over-run by the Brets on your first attempt as you are new to the game and the tricks they can pull. But stick with the Dark Elves ...we are fun to play, and have many tricks of our own ;) :twisted:
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Duckman5
Corsair

Post by Duckman5 »

T.D. wrote:8th edition? :mrgreen: You are a man of taste and style 8)

Looks OK.

I'd go with the flame template on the Hydra.

Metal is a good choice on the sorceress for armour breaking to go with your 2 RBT.

You might find yourself being over-run by the Brets on your first attempt as you are new to the game and the tricks they can pull. But stick with the Dark Elves ...we are fun to play, and have many tricks of our own ;) :twisted:

Thanks for the reply! Regarding the breath weapon, I believe I read in the rulebook that breath weapons can only be used once per game, is that accurate/does it apply to the hydra? That's why I thought spitfire was a better choice.

And yes, I'm prepared to get stomped... But hopefully thunderstomp some peasants along the way :)
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

I'd remark the lack of a backbone in the army, but all in all it looks like a good and fun list to play. If you have the luxury of swapping your lore depending on the opponent, then I'd even say it's a rather flexible army.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Duckman5
Corsair

Post by Duckman5 »

It went pretty well, he beat me by 140 points but that counted as a draw! The reaper bolt throwers+sorceress whittled down a unit of knights from 8 to 4 on my first turn, he countered by splatting 15 corsairs with one direct trebuchet shot. Game progressed from there with mostly low winds of magic, my dispels on lore of life's Dwellers Below were very timely. Caught the Peg Knights in my back line with a charge from the CoK and destroyed them, hydra and another phalanx of knights battled on the left flank, and my sorceress spent half the game stuck in a unit of 3 corsairs fleeing across the battlefield after being dealt 1 wound by mounted yeomen and rolling a 12 on leadership.

All in all, very fun, very LONG (7 hours all told), and very educational!
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Great to hear it went well and grats on your performance. That is a long fight indeed! That should speed up over time.
I think the list should work well against other armies too.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Duckman5
Corsair

Post by Duckman5 »

Thank you! In the future, I imagine I will to consult the to hit/to wound charts less often; though I am still considering printing them out for easy reference on the tabletop.
Getting to choose from all the lores is awesome, I feel like it makes me very flexible. Any lore suggestions for fighting Daemons of Chaos or Night Goblins/Monsters? One of those is likely to be my next battle.
I'm also considering investing in some Doomfire Warlocks, those models are really cool, and they seem like a great secondary spellcaster, but I'm not sure what to substitute out; maybe the Dark Riders?
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

If you trade the Hydra for 5 warlocks and a 6th cold one knight, then your list is very similar to my 1.5k list. Its qute cheesy though. It smashed my opponents into dust, no thanks to skill. Warlocks permit you to cast spells with little penalty. Especially in such small games a Doombolt or Soulblight can completely turn the game. A boosted Soulblight will support both your troops in combat and the shooting. Because there is little penalty, you can throw 6 dice at it, in a time of need. The combat power of the Warlocks makes them a threat to any small unit as well, their speed making them good chasers to units fleeing.

In other words... it will be a nice upgrade. Perhaps too much ;)
My list was too cheesy for my own gaming environment.

- The stiff breeze