8th Edition 1000 point list vs. High Elves

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

jyrik
Warrior

8th Edition 1000 point list vs. High Elves

Post by jyrik »

Hi all

I'm back to the hobby after a short 5 year break :burns:. I wasn't a very experienced player when I left, but the lure of WFB has drawn me back (Alas it is gone now). I'm busy strategising about an upcoming (very) casual series of games against High Elves and possibly Skaven. I've put together this 1000 point list specifically against the HE and would thoroughly appreciate any wise words on it.

Heroes:
Sorceress (life):
Level 2
Dispel Scroll

Core:
15 Darkshards
FC
Banner of eternal flames

15 Corsairs:
FC
AHW

Special:

5 shades

5 Shades

20 Executioners
FC
Banner of Swiftness

Total:
1 000

My concerns with the current setup are: lack of mobility, however my opponent regularly fills his entire core allowance with archers so I think a block of 4+ save corsairs may be necessary? I've also chosen life to try and buff up an units decimated by those damn longbows. Perhaps I should drop the Banner of Eternal Flames just in case he brings those damn Dragon Princes? I guess that the Lichebone Pennant would be a reasonable substitute? My hope is to get the block of execs into one of his flanks ASAP and try to block their line of sight from the archers using the corsairs. I suspect that he'll be bringing a bus of Dragon Princes or maybe Phoenix Guard (Maybe even both) so I think that the execs are preferable over Black Guard because I may need some Dragon Prince can openers? If I am able, I will try suicide charge a unit of shades (hopefully deployed close-by) into his archer block to try and disrupt any sorcery or shooting.

I look forward to engaging more with the community in the weeks to come! :D
For SA players: http://www.warhammergenerals.co.za
Far too poor for this game
van Awful
Highborn

Re: 8th Edition 1000 point list vs. High Elves

Post by van Awful »

hey man , welcome back to the game!

Always good to see a 8th ed. army list on this forum.

A few pointers,

i'd drop the crossbows and boost your corsairs to 20 for your minimum core choice, i'd rather take witches but they might not be much for an arrow screen.

Drop your sorceress and take some warlocks. This is basically 5 fastcav. l2 sorc. with a 4+ ward save and a total of 10 poisoned attacks for 125 points. and take a master for your general.

Im not sure if executioners are you best bet against dragon princes , you'll lose your asf due to always strike last, and i dont see many of them standing if they have to take a charge from them unless you get lucky with your lore of life spells... Maybe a hydra, hell maybe 2? and drop one unit of shades in favor of dark riders?

That all being said, you want to take iniative and let them worry what you're taking with you. It's good to take in account what you might be facing but dont let it lead you. He might get 2 turns of shooting off before combat, and it's not worth building your army around that.

Good luck

Walt
Nec spe, nec metu

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
jyrik
Warrior

Post by jyrik »

Thanks for the reply!

The warlocks sound like a good idea. Where would I slot in the master? In the corsairs?

The hydra seems pretty nasty, I'm just not too sure how to employ it. Does one just point it at the biggest enemy unit and try to stomp them?

That's probably wise; I suppose that I need to force him to play my game
Duckman5
Corsair

Post by Duckman5 »

I'll echo Dark Riders, with their 4+ save they will likely get to a block of archers without getting pincushioned and can easily get into a flank, or make the archers reform to chase them while you advance with the bulk of your army.

I worry about the lack of a BSB in your army; rerolling leadership tests is amazing. If possible I'd try to squeeze the sorceress as general and the master as a BSB.

Hydra can sometimes charge right into an enemy unit, but you want to make sure you have a supporting charge on the flank. If you can get the Hydra into the flank, even better! If you give it breath weapon, it is likely to win combat, but if they stick it can be dangerous as you don't get to regenerate its wounds until the end of YOUR turn. I usually deploy my block in the center and the Hydra on a flank.

Good luck!
jyrik
Warrior

Post by jyrik »

Makes sense! Thank you!

As an aside: why would one choose to deploy Bleakswords over Dreadspears? They cost the same and I have yet to find any benefit of having a sword over a spear? Am I totally missing the point?
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

Bleakswords have a sword and shield, which confers a 6+ ward save in close combat (except for against flank attacks and rear attacks), which can be pretty handy. In comparison, Dreadspears have spears, which provide +1 attack from the second rank (or third rank if allayed in a horde formation) (except for against flank attacks and rear attacks). Which is better? It depends on play style and personal choice.
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Duckman5
Corsair

Post by Duckman5 »

jyrik wrote:Makes sense! Thank you!

As an aside: why would one choose to deploy Bleakswords over Dreadspears? They cost the same and I have yet to find any benefit of having a sword over a spear? Am I totally missing the point?

6+ ward save as Red mentioned. Personally I never take either; I built my infantry as Darkshards, which while slightly more expensive, also can take shields for the ward save, and get to shoot 2 armor piercing shots at 24"... still pretty good in close combat too with ASF/Murderous Prowess. I once held a building from 20 squigs+handlers with a unit of 15!
jyrik
Warrior

Post by jyrik »

That makes much more sense now! Thank you!
Duckman5
Corsair

Post by Duckman5 »

Any time! Did you play your game against HE? How did it go?
jyrik
Warrior

Post by jyrik »

Nothing as of yet. I'm waiting for my opponent to return from university and I'm trying to paint up some models during the interim. I'll post a battle report once I've played