Slanessh marked, chaos or DE?

Old campaign - Where the druchii members discussed the Storm of Chaos campaign.

Moderators: Underway, The Dread Knights

Viper
Highborn

Slanessh marked, chaos or DE?

Post by Viper »

For purposes of special abilities that are give bonuses against Chaos, are slaneesh marked considered Chaos or Dark Elf (or both?) A friend of mine has this question and I don't know the specifics. Apparently his opponent has some kind of bonus against Chaos units and he was not sure if the marked Dark elf units where considered to be Chaos.
Good, bad, I am the guy with the reapter bolt thrower.
Alex c
Resident Beastmaster

Post by Alex c »

They are a Dark Elf unit, albeit one marked by Chaos. While others may disagree, I see a Chaos unit as a unit taken from one of the Chaos army books, and as the CoS is a Dark Elf army variant then it is fundamentally comprimised of Dark Elf units with some Chaos allies.

I can understand the arguement either way, but that's just my two cents.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge"
- Albert Einstein.
Viper
Highborn

Post by Viper »

It is very debateable, but what I am looking for is the official ruling with a reference. There is strong support for either case. I am surprised the question has not come up before.
Alex c
Resident Beastmaster

Post by Alex c »

Well currently there is no official ruling either way. I'm very surprised it wasn't in the SoC Q&A that GW put on their website, but maybe it will be in the next one.
- Albert Einstein.
Viper
Highborn

Post by Viper »

Thanks. I will check out there site more thoroughly.
Viper
Highborn

Post by Viper »

Nothing about it on GW Site. i guess my friend will have to 4+ it. I personally think that the models would be Dark Elves rather than Chaos. that is to say they are definitely considered DE but only maybe considered Chaos. For example Red Fury of the blood Cauldron does not effect Harpies, even though they are in our army list, they are not elves per se. At most you could count the marked as both, but at the very least they are DE.
Alex c
Resident Beastmaster

Post by Alex c »

I personally hope that marked DE aren't considered Chaos units. Ok, so they are toting the icons of one of the four brothers around with them in battle for all and sundry to see (including the likes of Warrior Priests), but otherwise they are secretive and I feel that making them "count as" Chaos units is just another nail in the "Chaos Elves" coffin. Dark Elves have mastery over Chaos, unlike the other races that are affiliated with the Four.
- Albert Einstein.
Darkprincess
Chosen Babe of Slaanesh

Post by Darkprincess »

I think the definitions are based on the context of the army - if it's a DE army, then it's DE with a chaos mark, rather than a true chaos army. It IS an interesting question though, and one that's open to interpretation. Alex C is right to say that the Druchii have mastery over chaos (well at least they think they do - whether this is in fact the case or not is a debate for another time and place), so I consider my CoP army to be Druchii first and chaos second. (Although fluffwise, my general considers herself Slaaneshi first and Druchii second - but then she's just an over-zealous fanatic ;) )
The Dark Princess
High Priestess of the Cult Of Pleasure

Give yourself over to absolute pleasure
Swim the warm waters of sins of the flesh
Erotic nighmares beyond any measure
And sensual daydreams to treasure forever
Viper
Highborn

Post by Viper »

Locally we decided that they are both Chaos and DE. If it is possible to be two things. This is not good news for the Cult of pleasure. But what do I care? I don't have any inclination to mix any chaos with my proud Druchii. i always considered my Dark elves as lawful. Disciplined and precise. Very few badly random events..i.e....exploding mages, units going out of control and the like. Just some frenzied witch elves and stupid mounts, but theses are truly not that out of control. I am not sure Why druchii would step to working with abominations and demons. But that is just my humble opinion.

Witch elves forever down with annointed!
Danceman
The Devil in Pale Moonlight

Post by Danceman »

druchii first, otherwise the link to the CoP list would be in the hordes of chaos section on the GW site.

then again taking units like chaos warriors are another matter but i dont really know what kind of benefits you are talkin about here, could ya specify? =)
"Dying is for fools." - Charlie Sheen
Evilzealot
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Evilzealot »

Everything in the Dark Elf book is considered a Dark Elf, with the exception to chariots (according to the CoB). So likewise, everything that comes from the Chaos Books is a Chaos unit. The annointed, marked Dark Elf units, and Devoted are all Dark Elves and definately not chaos.
Viper
Highborn

Post by Viper »

Actually Cauldron of blood shood not help any non DE....I.e cold ones, Harpies, Hydra, Dogs of War. It should effect the Cold One Knights and the elves on the chariots, etc.... please correct me if i am wrong, I will likewise look it up in the forum.

the question is actually important. If they are chaos, do high elves get their bonuses against them for being Dark elves as well?
Viper
Highborn

Post by Viper »

I stand corrected. COB does effect all units in DE army list including mounts and chariots as well.
Evilzealot
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Evilzealot »

On another side note, the High elves will get their stoic bonus, since it is in effect if any Dark Elves are on the field.
Valtor the tainted
Highborn

Re: Slanessh marked, chaos or DE?

Post by Valtor the tainted »

Viper wrote:For purposes of special abilities that are give bonuses against Chaos, are slaneesh marked considered Chaos or Dark Elf (or both?) A friend of mine has this question and I don't know the specifics. Apparently his opponent has some kind of bonus against Chaos units and he was not sure if the marked Dark elf units where considered to be Chaos.

the whole point of the cult of slaanesh is to blend so sum are Druchii others are chaos really the only half breed would be considered the druchii anoited but even still he is just tainted with chaos majic
Perversions of Pain sweep through your mind
Valtor the tainted
Highborn

Viper wrote:Locally we decided that they are both Chaos and DE. If it is possible to be two things. This is not good news for the Cult of pleasure. But what do I care? I don't have any inclination to mix any chaos with my proud Druchii. i always considered my Dark elves as lawful. Disciplined and precise. Very few badly random events..i.e....exploding mages, units going out of control and the like. Just some frenzied witch elves and stupid mounts, but theses are truly not that out of control. I am not sure Why druchii would step to working with abominations and demons. But that is just my humble opinion.

Witch elves forever down with annointed!

i agree the things are to damn stupid to listen to us we have tamed all our beasts of war we should not be fielding untamed ones
Valtor the tainted
Highborn

Viper wrote:Nothing about it on GW Site. i guess my friend will have to 4+ it. I personally think that the models would be Dark Elves rather than Chaos. that is to say they are definitely considered DE but only maybe considered Chaos. For example Red Fury of the blood Cauldron does not effect Harpies, even though they are in our army list, they are not elves per se. At most you could count the marked as both, but at the very least they are DE.

well GW dont tell u what race they belong to we need a army book for that to get sum closure
Aekold helbrass
Noble

Post by Aekold helbrass »

I´d say that mark of slaanesh does make one a chaos unit. i mean, thats more chaos than marauders for gods sake!
"Faster, Marge, faster! The snapping turtles are massing!"
Orpheon
Slave on the Altar

dark elf vs chaos

Post by Orpheon »

in the entire Cult of Slaanesh list, the dark elf units are referred to as "dark elf units" and chaos units likewise. if the dark elves were considered chaos, then the mortal characters would be able to enter any non-daemonic unit. I've always found it pretty clear myself.......
Puppyblue
Beastmaster

Post by Puppyblue »

I'd say it would depend on the fluff above the weapons description. If its got a story about some ***** named weilder fighting off a horde of daemons then it shouldn't really affect DE's even if they did have the mark. One the other hand if it said something like "Burns all those tainted by the touch of chaos" Then it should have the added benefits.

And yes, I said "tainted by Chaos" U guys prob. won't like it cause this is a DE forum and every race out there wants to believe they control chaos and the power that comes with it. Hell, even Chaos wants to beleive that. But in the end they all find out they are only dabbling on the edge of something far far bigger then imaginable.
No, it isn't Sydney
No, not Melbourne either
Keep guessing...
Nekroskop
Highborn

Post by Nekroskop »

I think it is pretty celar that a unit marked by a chaos god should betreated as chaotic. THey are not simply toting some symbols, they are well and truly fanatical followers who have sold their souls. You don't get immune to psychology for painting the symbol of Slaanesh on your armour!

So, any special ability like empire priests holy fire and anti-chaos items should very well help against marked Druchii.
I waste him with my boltthrower!
Berti
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Berti »

A DE Unit with the mark of a Chaos god. I Think it ist both, DarK Elf AND CHaos. So if something helps against CHaos, it should also help against a marked DE unit.

The Cauldron of blood should not be taken by a COP Army. It belongs to the Witch elves, and they are worshippers of Khaine, and they oppose the Cult of Pleasurs.

Berti
Alex c
Resident Beastmaster

Post by Alex c »

berti wrote:The Cauldron of blood should not be taken by a COP Army.

And actually cannot be taken by a CoS...
- Albert Einstein.
Ranieth
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Ranieth »

I would say that Dark Elf units with mark of slaanesh don't count as chaos units. The only reason for this is 'they're marked by a chaos god'. Now, wouldn't that mean that marauders isn't chaos units? They're not marked.
Nekroskop
Highborn

Post by Nekroskop »

This logic is a little convoluted. You don't need to be marked by a chaos god to be a chaos unit, that is correct.
But if you are marked by the God, you are surely one!

I would even go so far as to say any unit in the Cult of Slaanesh Army list is a chaos unit - for the same reasons stated by Ranieth - even the unmarked units are surely followers of the Dark Prince, they are just not gifted by him.

I repeat my argument - being marked by a chaos god is not something like wearing a sticker with "I luv Slaanesh" - it means the god himself has marked you for your devotion and gifted you with power beyond normal Mortals - e.g. immunity to psychology.

Therefore every item or special ability that affects chaos units should affect Marked Cult of Slaanesh units.
I waste him with my boltthrower!