Slayers are a pain in the ass

Old campaign - Where the druchii members discussed the Storm of Chaos campaign.

Moderators: Underway, The Dread Knights

Valtor the tainted
Highborn

Slayers are a pain in the ass

Post by Valtor the tainted »

thanks to the SOC rules slayers have become a pain in the ass for me its like u cant touch em at all ive tried the stand and shoot but the get that roll a D6 for movement so dark riders seem to be the only answer but u can only go so far on a 40 by 40 table ne ideas on how to beat them
Perversions of Pain sweep through your mind
Azure
Rumour Lord of Doom

Post by Azure »

ok... first off take a breath... shooting is the way to go agsint shooting BUT NOT BOLT THROWERS...due to the fact that they get extra VP for a "Glorious Death (in my eyes no death is glorious except 1 when you die after a long day of beheading the Asur" so basically run circles around them... lost of dark riders and RXB cold be worth it... T4 but no armor =losts adead dwarves... just shoot them... shades, lots of them... and also take some1 with the lifetaker... avg of 2 dead slayers per turn mwahahhahahaha! :lol:
Cerulaetas
Highborn
Location: Behind you liek omg so whitty lolz I r unique lol!!11!1one wtf!

Post by Cerulaetas »

Witch Elves, Cauldron of Blood. That'll clean the Slayers up quite nicely, without playing a boring non-engagement list.

BTW, Bolt Throwers are fine, it's only being killed by strength 5+ models in CLOSE COMBAT that gives extra VPs.
Ashnari Doomsong wrote:So, you're saying that dwarf ironbreakers in HTH combat are heavy cavalry?
You're wierd...
Maldor
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Maldor »

And that's base Str. So modifiers for Great weapons, lances, ect, don't give them extra VPs. But yeah, just sit back and shoot them. The Look Snorri, Trolls! rule makes picking your target easy, just shoot whatever is closest.
Lock up your children, shut all windows tight.
The Witch Elves are hunting for victims tonight.
When old hags do knock at your door, you must hide,
Your death is the gift sought by Khaine's pretty brides.
Valtor the tainted
Highborn

Post by Valtor the tainted »

Maldor wrote:And that's base Str. So modifiers for Great weapons, lances, ect, don't give them extra VPs. But yeah, just sit back and shoot them. The Look Snorri, Trolls! rule makes picking your target easy, just shoot whatever is closest.

that trolls rule is real cheesy
Perversions of Pain sweep through your mind
Jmurph
Trainee Warrior

Post by Jmurph »

Since when have the stunties ever been able to pick the cheese out of their beards?
-James
Azure
Rumour Lord of Doom

Post by Azure »

ar eu sure about only close combat? cus a RBT has T5 which would make it give them VP...
Alex c
Resident Beastmaster

Post by Alex c »

Azure wrote:ar eu sure about only close combat? cus a RBT has T5 which would make it give them VP...

It is only Close Combat. Read the Slayer army rules and you will find that it specifies as much in the "A Glorious Death" rules.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge"
- Albert Einstein.
Sexy druchii
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sexy druchii »

Shoting. One word answer right there.
Conesy
Warrior

Post by Conesy »

Elves are really like a bane to slayers since we don't have the high strength, high toughness troops that most slayer armies look for. I know the gentleman with a slayer army around here has a great disdain for slayers. Cauldron, witches, and chariots for doomseekers are very good choices if you want to go agressive. Another good choice is to go with fighty strong characters that can take the blow of a doom seeker. Honestly, the key to winning with slayers I believe is in the doom seekers and how they are used. Doom seekers can hold up hole rnf regiments if not destroyed early and are worth more points then a high strength/toughness creature will give them in VP's. Against slayers, black gaurd and corsairs are also very good choices. Black gaurd for thier ability to hold up slayers and corsairs for thier additional attacks. Combine these choices with a cauldron and have at it.

On such a small table, I recommend using a more aggressive list then the passive shooting styled list. Slayers, to beat them, you need to eliminate whole units. If you do shoot, key in on eliminating these units and if you can focus on killing a slayer character, especially when alone, do it!!!

Good luck,
Celebran the Darkbringer
--------------------------------------------
Wisconsin Warhammer Fantasy Battles League
http://www.wwhfb.com/

If you are in Wisconsin, please join the community.
Cerulaetas
Highborn

Post by Cerulaetas »

If all you're trying to do is win, you really shouldn't be playing this game at all. Play to have fun, and don't try to outcheese another list. Like I said above, you don't need to play a boring non-engagement list, unless you never want anyone to play against you again.

Also, how is Look Snorri! Trolls! Cheese? It's 2d6" forwards, and while that may end up being worth 2 turns of Dwarven Movement, it's only 1 turn of Dark Elven movement.

Azure, how is a Lifetaker causing an average of 2 dead Slayers per turn? 5/6 hit, 1/3 wound, you get to reroll wounds. That's going to give you an average of about 1 dead slayer per turn.

Black Guard and Witch Elves are going to be your best bet. In CC with a unit of normal Slayers, the Black Guard are hitting on 3's, wounding on 4's, and rerolling all missed to-hit rolls. The Witch Elves will be able to kill quite a few Slayers with Poison, and if you can keep the Witch Elves from losing Frenzy, they will keep grinding the Slayers down with their 3 initiative 6 poison attacks each.

Also, if you can get a nice ranked-up unit of Execs to go up against a unit of GW wielding Slayers, the Execs will most likely make mince-meat out of the slayers, hitting on 3's, wounding on 3's.

Personally, I'd be more worried about a regular Dwarven list, where they actually have armor.
Ashnari Doomsong wrote:So, you're saying that dwarf ironbreakers in HTH combat are heavy cavalry?
You're wierd...
Sexy druchii
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sexy druchii »

um, the Lifetaker thing, you never need more than 2+ on a "to hit" roll.
Azure
Rumour Lord of Doom

Post by Azure »

first off hes right lifetaker hits on 2+

2nd off what the devil are u talking about... i never said anything about lifetaker killing 2 slayers a turn u silly boy (hehehe =])

8)

use corsairs for core.. .witch elves for special
Cerulaetas
Highborn

Post by Cerulaetas »

Azure wrote:and also take some1 with the lifetaker... avg of 2 dead slayers per turn mwahahhahahaha!

Sound familiar Azure? It's at the bottom of your first post.

Also, Slaaneshi Druchii, you read my post wrong. When I said
Cerulaetas wrote:Azure, how is a Lifetaker causing an average of 2 dead Slayers per turn? 5/6 hit, 1/3 wound, you get to reroll wounds. That's going to give you an average of about 1 dead slayer per turn.

I was stating the fact that a lifetaker will hit 5 times out of 6, which should imply that it always hits on a 2+.

I wouldn't use Corsairs for my core against a Slayer list, the reason being they're more expensive by 2 points than warriors using shields. Sure, 1st round of combat you're going to get half as many attacks (spears can't attack if they moved), but just having the cheaper unit there would be a benefit over having the extra mobility, especially considering the fact that the Slayers have a very good chance of breaking your unit and running it down. Would you rather lose 160 pts, or 200?
You're wierd...
Conesy
Warrior

Post by Conesy »

Slayers really have two tactics and both of which I think corsairs fit the better role then warriors.

Tactic number one is to take a few, say 3-4 larger units of slayers, make them as hard as can be and support with doomseekrs.

Tactic number one is to make alot of small units and cover alot of ground. Almost an MSU version of the slayer deal.

Both tactics fall well to what corsairs do which is concentrating a large number of hits in a small area. Now, with a few big units, you have the advantage of generally having more blocks to do things with. Against smaller units you can hack them down fast enough that you might be able to wipe units on the charge when hitting them hard enough.

Now, I am not saying take alot of corsairs because they are expensive points wise. What I am saying is that corsairs can be a good choice to take.

Witches, chariots, a cauldron, and black gaurd all seem to be great answers for that question offensively. Defensively, shooting is good but you need to drop them quickly and whole units of them at a crack. You aren't going to evade a slayer army for too long and it isn't very fun if you do, but keeping concentrated fire will go a long ways if you need it too.
--------------------------------------------
Wisconsin Warhammer Fantasy Battles League
http://www.wwhfb.com/

If you are in Wisconsin, please join the community.
Zeb
Noble

Post by Zeb »

Magic, even with Magic Resistance and Extra dice Soul Stealer comes in real handy... Same with Black Horror, Word of Pain is nice (as allways) a couple of Chillwind/Dombolt is good too...
"We are the Pilgrims, master; we shall go
Always a little further; it may be
Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
Across that angry or glimmering sea ..."
from 'Hassan' by James E. Flecker
Belakith
Shade
Location: Got lost in a vortex in the middle of the chaos wastelands

Post by Belakith »

I agree!! Slayers are a pain in the ass!!
The Druchii will one day destroy the Highelves, and the Witch elves bathe in thier blood. All those that are faithful to the Druchii shall be rewarded.

Are you faithful??
Denthor
Assassin

Post by Denthor »

Easy all you do is put a tempting unit in front of them draw um towards em then.............
...........hit um with a stupid amount of fire power and magic and there you go dead slayers.
Best thing to do especially with the slayer army is to get behind them with dark riders and shades and gat them constanley until they die.
The Plague of Nurgle Is Here Resistance Is Futile
Joey_boy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Joey_boy »

If I knew I was gooing up against slayers I'd use 3-4 units of 10 rbx warriors 2 units of witch elves some shades and whatever I feel like using on that given day. I see the biggest trubbel with slayers is there heros/lords with the skaven slayer abilety and always strike first. It's a nasty one IMO.

So I'd shoot the smaller slayer units and seekers to bits with rbx and rbt fire then try to flank then with Witche Elves. And as said the CoB might work wonders.

/Johan R
You don´t snuggle with Max Power, you just strap on and feel the G´s!

Swedish ranking page and forum
Aekold helbrass
Noble

Post by Aekold helbrass »

definitely i favor shooting over corsairs, with a unit of BG and CoKs for when he reaches you.
"Faster, Marge, faster! The snapping turtles are massing!"
Heldrak
Renegade Priest of Vaul

Post by Heldrak »

You don't say what points value you're fighting at, but 40" x 40" is a tiny table and that's only going to benefit the Slayers. If you can, fight on a larger table (6' x 4' is standard).

Deploy as far back as you can and spread out as far as you can- this will give you more room to maneuver and more time to shoot. I've had good results deploying in two opposite corners and leaving my center empty, which forces the Slayers to trudge farther and helps counteract the "Look Snorri..." rule. Slayers tend to travel in a pack to spread the benefits of Rune Banners & Doomseeker Magic Resistance. If you're spread far out, you can force the pack to split up and come to you, which will enable you to gang up on isolated units.

Watch out for Doomseekers! Since the 2150-point Slayer army I've been fighting tends to use 6 of them, but doesn't have an axe-flinger or any Slayer Pirates, I've been fielding a Dark Elf Noble on a Dark Steed with Lifetaker and no other equipment, just to snipe at them. Even if you don't kill them all, you can hamper their effectiveness with the shooting threat.

Avoid engagement until you've trimmed their numbers down to manageable levels. There's simply no percentage in fighting them toe-to-toe until you've weakened them enough with shooting & magic. I agree with the previous posts that Soul Stealer & Black Horror can be real game-winners against Slayers.
Plaguescythe
Noble

Post by Plaguescythe »

i agree that magic is the way to go, even with there exctra dice and stuff id go magic heavy, two reapers, a cauldron, witch elves, two units of rbtmen and black gurad, fill in the rest with corsairs. blow em away until you have to take units on 2 on one, with the extra rerole. but make sure you chage them, because say if your witch elves get charged,they'll get crushed, they lose there frenzy unless you can get bac in cauldron range.
Chosen Warlord Of Nurgle
Oloth
Beastmaster

Post by Oloth »

Shooting is the answer yes, but this game is meant to be fun (especially when I play against my best friend wich is a dwarf) I never play it non engagement its too fuc**** boring. I prefer HtH for the excitement of playing and in the case of Slayers I usually use Execs, they almost always get the job done. A chariot also works fine for me and if it is to go for shooting, 2 RBTs shooting at them and then charge them with a unit carrying the Hydra banner. With a 5model wide unit of corsairs you can get 16attacks in the first round or 11 attacks with executioners hitting on 3s, wounding on 3s and killing on 6s... :twisted:
"Oloth regar nindolen vel'uss b'luthyrr lil Darthiir"
Death by dread
Shade

Post by Death by dread »

Hee Hee! Though I am a devoted DE player, for the SOC I went slayer. I have faced 2 of my fellow DE players and I am sorry to say this, but wiped out their armies. The witches fell really easy tothe doomseekers. I, myself, have to figure out this dilemma for when I face them. I never imagined how good the slayer army was. The only army I have had trouble with are the orks. Anyhow SOC will over soon and I can get back to my roots in our next map campaign. That is where my DE rock.
Ah! The life of a dark elf is hard. With all the endless torchuring, fighting and ambushes. It is hard, cold and tiresome, but, to look on our females-beautiful, alluring, hard yet soft, evil yet gentle when need be and deadly. Eh, life is good.
Oloth
Beastmaster

Post by Oloth »

Yes that slayer army is a pain in the ass and its also so damn cool but I think you should keep on playing DEs during SOC for the good of our cause especialy in Lustria. I have played other armies as well but during SOC? And you call yourself a devoted DE player by contributing in loss counts for Druchii???
"Oloth regar nindolen vel'uss b'luthyrr lil Darthiir"