Which side are the WE on

Old campaign - Where the Druchii Net Online Campaign was discussed

Moderators: Underway, Jeffleong13, The Dread Knights

Ancientevil
Slave on the Altar

Which side are the WE on

Post by Ancientevil »

Are the WE's working with the High Elves? Would they even participate in the campaign?
D.e.highborn
Black Guard

Post by D.e.highborn »

-> Well I think that they just defend there woods and so are in war with everyone who takes to much of there wood. So mostly Beastmen, O&G, etc ...
-> They probably fight with the good guys since they use the lore of the heavens & the lore of life and all !!!
If you kill one man you are a murderer.
If you kill ten you are a monster.
If you kill a hundred you are a hero.
If you kill ten thousand you are a conqueror !
Terrof darkshroud
Warrior

Post by Terrof darkshroud »

I think they are neutral, they just attack anyone who enters their domain e.g. the forest of Athel Loren, they pretty much dont care who their arrows hit, as long as they are hurting the forrests og just walking in them.
Eöl
Dark Rider

Post by Eöl »

The Wood Elves of Athel Loren are neutral. They are concerned with their own lands but will aid others if, ultimately, that action will help defend the Wood Elf forests and way of life.

But how far beyond their borders they can see is another matter. Individuals may scout around the Warhammer World but I doubt that Orion and Ariel would ever send troops to The Empire or Albion, or wherever GW decide the next Warhammer campaign will be!
Forge Games - WARMACHINE, HORDES & Anima: Tactics

'But now the trees of Nan Elmoth were the tallest and darkest in all Beleriand, and there the sun never came; and there Eöl dwelt, who was named the Dark Elf'
Imrael
Beastmaster

Post by Imrael »

There's a quote from treebeard in LOTR book which probably applies. Something like
"We're not altogether on anybody's side because nobody is altogether on our side. But I'm definiitely against (bunch of swearing) Orcs."

They're only really interested in protecting the forest (Arboro-centric?)
People said "smile - things could get worse"
So I did smile
And things did get worse
Nagathi
The Exiled One

Post by Nagathi »

If you want to use them in this campaign, I would think it's a long chain of alliances. Bretonnia are allied with the Asur, and I think the Bretonnia are allied with the Wood Elves. I doubt my Wood Elves would leave their forests to embark on a trip to chilling Naggaroth, but that's the most logical way they would participate in this campaign.

- Nag
Eöl
Dark Rider

Post by Eöl »

For me the Wood Elves would not leave their forest. However, perhaps a unit of scouts or waywatchers would.

'But now the trees of Nan Elmoth were the tallest and darkest in all Beleriand, and there the sun never came; and there Eöl dwelt, who was named the Dark Elf'
Nagathi
The Exiled One

Post by Nagathi »

A scouting force, on a reconassainse (I have no clue on how to spell that) mission could leave the forest to find out why so many journey to the cold lands of Naggaroth? Could be quite some interesting fluff for that one...

- Nag
Asmorand
Slave (off the Altar)

WE & BRETS

Post by Asmorand »

I was under the impression that the Wood Elves are actually hostile towards the Bretonnians? I remember reading fluff that things like poaching and logging had caused outbrakes of war? Anyone remember this?
Eöl
Dark Rider

Post by Eöl »

Maybe they are looking for the Lost kindred and the Wythel trees?

Nagathi
The Exiled One

Re: WE & BRETS

Post by Nagathi »

Asmorand wrote:I was under the impression that the Wood Elves are actually hostile towards the Bretonnians? I remember reading fluff that things like poaching and logging had caused outbrakes of war? Anyone remember this?
All I know (which might not be a lot, but I'm a Wood Elf player) is that the relationship between WE and Brets is non-hostile, but they don't really like eachother.

- Nag
Eldacar
Loremaster

Post by Eldacar »

The Bretonnians and the Wood Elves have kind of reached an understanding. The Brets stay out of Athel Loren, and in return, the WE leave them alone. Bretonnian commoners/peasants are actually afraid of the wood (some of them, anyway) thanks to the rather messy object lessons the WE sometimes put up around the boundaries.

The WE are an ancient division of the High Elves, but then, so are the Druchii. I think (don't quote me here) that when the Asur started retreating to Ulthuan, the WE decided that, because they loved the forests to much, that they would remain in the Old World and within the boundaries of Athel Loren. The closest cousins they would have among the High Elves, and the ones who the Wood Elves were probably originally descended from, would be those Asur from the province of Avelorn.

So yes, the WE would, if they actually left Athel Loren, probably fight on the High Elves side, but they would mainly look to their own interests, and if the Asur war was seemingly having a bad effect on their forest, or might threaten their way of life, then they would turn on them in an eyeblink, or go home and leave the HE and DE to duke it out. They care nothing for the Druchii civil war.

Teclis once went to Athel Loren, I believe, to see what the Woodies were doing, and came back to Ulthuan and reported that they were no threat and seemed happy as they were, so he didn't interfere, and no Asur would either.
Danceman
The Devil in Pale Moonlight

Post by Danceman »

i´m quite sure that Wood elves doesnt think very highly of asur or druchii. High elves are the ones that fled from the forest leaving the rest behind.
Another aspect why i dont think WE like HE is beacause they are what they are, vain people inlove with their own creations.
i dont think the furnace of high elves rest much, also having the the white lions of charce(or something) cut down their fair share of forest.
Asur pretty much are the opposite of Wood Elves.
Druchii mentality is all but Elven to me, more like chaos only they do not obey the chaos gods but another god of death.
Now with the CoP poping out(which is horribly redicolous in my opinion) the druchii is little more than another branch of the hordes of chaos.

I could not see any way of wood elves would even care about this little war nor do i see them wanting to help out the brets.
they might have some scouts poking around but even that i find hard to believe.

Wood elves are the orignal elves, in harmony with nature, the Asur are a steping stone, dark elves are just angry and the next steping stone to chaos... and the next is to die at some battlefield trying to appease the hungry gods.
"Dying is for fools." - Charlie Sheen
Spartan
Trainee Warrior

Post by Spartan »

well, having discussed (ok, argued) about this in asur.org quite a bit, i must agree with Eldacar. i strongly believe that HE would be the most likely ally of the WE. heck, i even think they would join with HE if they expanded into the old world again. however, its really unlikely that they would ever leave the forest, as Eldacar said.

i really disagree with danceman, though. WE are definitely not the true elves of old; they used to be HE! also, HE did not flee from the forests, they actually returned back to ulthuan to repel a druchii invasion. so, in reality, it was the WE that betrayed their brethren. not that i hold anything against them for it ;) . and lastly, asur are not the opposite of WE; they are the median between DE and WE. if anything, then DE are the opposite of HE; no argument there.
Wckid
Warrior

Post by Wckid »

somwhere in one of the books (BRB?) it had this quote
beware...list of all races... and beware our kin in far-off Ulthuan and Naggaroth for they have forgotten their lineage and betrayed their heritage

or something like that...

to me it seems like they see HE and DE as nearly the same (reason enough to torch their forests right there)
Eldacar
Loremaster

Post by Eldacar »

They don't trust the HE because they think the HE betrayed them, but they KNOW that the HE (aside from those of Chrace, of course, who woudl get SOME of the lumber, not all, because that would be counter-productive) would not do what the DE would do to Athel Loren (which is cut it down and torch it). Teclis respects the WE, and his opinion carries great weight with the HE, I would imagine.
Danceman

Post by Danceman »

Spartan wrote:well, having discussed (ok, argued) about this in asur.org quite a bit, i must agree with Eldacar. i strongly believe that HE would be the most likely ally of the WE. heck, i even think they would join with HE if they expanded into the old world again. however, its really unlikely that they would ever leave the forest, as Eldacar said.

i really disagree with danceman, though. WE are definitely not the true elves of old; they used to be HE! also, HE did not flee from the forests, they actually returned back to ulthuan to repel a druchii invasion. so, in reality, it was the WE that betrayed their brethren. not that i hold anything against them for it ;) . and lastly, asur are not the opposite of WE; they are the median between DE and WE. if anything, then DE are the opposite of HE; no argument there.

have you read the wood elf army book at all? elves were very much in touch with nature and this they were more wood elves than high elves... hell there wasnt any high,low,dark,shiny elves back then, only elves.

Asur revel in their own decadence, obessed with beauty and perfection of all sorts(no damn wonder slaanesh got a strong hold in that society...), the wood elves are just the opposite, strive to live as one with nature and do nothing more than they have to do to survive.

Asur and Druchii are just as cruel, both have slaughtered each other relentlessly. No side of them is innocent... I´d say Wood Elves are the only elves not tainted of the outside world.

Aside fancing darker colours the Druchii are quite like Asur, not so strange either since they were not long ago the same. Granted the Druchii has gone over the top lately... CoS for one.
Mitharath
Executioner

Post by Mitharath »

I think wood elves will do nothing, only sit on thier wood and open fire to anyone who is in range of thier bow. Waywotchers maybe are moving out the Loren, but so rarely. But what will happens when Storm of Chaos (next commin' soon, I think for new tousend year, for egzample) will reach thier wood and burned it? They cannot open missle fire to flames. They will flee, or attack, but how? They will be too weak to defeat Chaos. So? They will help one of side of this conflict, but which site? Sute of Good or site which promise them being thier woods without any change???
But what's puzzling you is just nature of pete's game
Zakath the slaughterer
Master of Puppets

Post by Zakath the slaughterer »

I totally agree with Danceman. The original Elves of old were not exactly the same as WE nowadays, but more like them than any other.
Druchii are what they are because they worship only Khaine, God of Murder, while HE worship all the other elven gods as well (yes, including Khaine). But they turn to Khaine in times of war, while practising cooking, for instance, they pray or whatsoever the elven god of cooking! :P
After the Sundering Asur have changed a little bit and so every elf race claims other betrayers and so on. Look at the Malekith fluff: Druchii says he is glorius, genious, brave blah blah and Asur says he is evil, dark (prince) etc etc
Master of puppets I'm pulling your strings/
Twisting your mind and smashing your dreams/
Blinded by me, you cant see a thing/
Just call my name, `cause Ill hear you scream
Spartan
Trainee Warrior

Post by Spartan »

actually, zakath there just kinda proved my point. asur are the true elves because they worship the entire elven pantheon and thus maintain the balance of the true aspect of elves. DE and WE, however, focus on 1 or 2 gods and are more sectionalist that way; they are offshoots of the true elves. i agree with you, danceman, that the first elves had an extreme affinity with nature, however, they also recognized all the elven gods in turn. remember, HE also have a great affinity with nature, even outside of Avelorn.

we can argue all we want, but IMO the proof for my argument is all in the fluff. well, that and a bit of philosophy ;) .

regards,
Spartan
Eldacar
Loremaster

Post by Eldacar »

The proof is in the fluff. Originally, the Elven empire was one big massive , well, empire, based in Ulthuan, subject to the Phoenix King (Aenarion). The Elven empire commanded the world, pretty much, except for the Dwarves in the mountains and the Slann in Lustria. Humans were a bunch of slightly more intelligent apes running around at this time.

When the massive DE invasion began, the High/Wood Elves (Since the first split had already happened, with Malekith leading many of the elves off to become the Druchii), had to withdraw just about every elf to Ulthuan. HOWEVER, SOME ELVES REMAINED BEHIND IN THE OLD WORLD, AS THEY DID NOT WANT TO LEAVE THEIR FORESTS.

These elves who remained in Athel Loren within the Old World became the WE, those that Malekith led off became the DE, and what was left were the original elves (now known as the HE).

Note: Many fantasy stories have elves as "being in touch with nature". This is exemplified in Forgotten Realms, Dragonlance, and the Raymond E. Feist novels. The Warhammer world is different. The Asur (HE) are in touch with nature, but the WE are the ones who have carried it beyond "in touch" and into the realm of "fanatical".
Danceman

Post by Danceman »

yes but still the WE carry the old ways with them, for example the gods. Kornous and Isha, the old gods but today it feels like the Asur doesnt really have god which signify them.
Khaine isnt worshiped much, the there is Vaul etc etc. Asur have chosen new or young gods and by now probably have more gods that i know of.

my point was that although DE and HE seems to be the opposite they are actually quite alike but WE are still holding on to their past and tradition(which DE also does with Khaine but which Slaanesh and GW knows what diety they have there too...).
DE and HE have went another way, a new way if you will.

I admit i am wrong to some extent when i read through some again... WE would be much closer to help HE than DE but still its a long long way from calling them allies.

so basicly i dun think WE would set their foot in Naggaroth, nothing that would ressemble an army anyways.
Nagathi
The Exiled One

Post by Nagathi »

Why would Asur be the true elves? All this proves is that Asur are still like the original Elves. That doesn't mean they're the true ones... They just haven't changed in the last millennia.

- Nag
Spartan
Trainee Warrior

Post by Spartan »

Danceman wrote:yes but still the WE carry the old ways with them, for example the gods. Kornous and Isha, the old gods but today it feels like the Asur doesnt really have god which signify them.
Khaine isnt worshiped much, the there is Vaul etc etc. Asur have chosen new or young gods and by now probably have more gods that i know of.

where have you been, man?! no god which signifies them? say it with me: Asur.......Asuryan. :lol:

@Nagathi-yea, thats actually what i meant when i said true elves; not the best elves (well, IMO they are ;) ), but rather the original elves.
Tayrod
Spawn of Slaanesh
Location: Over the hills and far away (ie: In Norway somewhere)

Post by Tayrod »

If anyone has the time I would reccomend trying to look throught some of the War of the beard fluff, I suppose it should say somethign about WE in them, as it was after that the HE fled the old world
And the kneecaps connected to the ... *&¤%#% ... oh darn