The Big Picture (ie. how much victory will we be allowed ?)

Old campaign - Where the Druchii Net Online Campaign was discussed

Moderators: Underway, Jeffleong13, The Dread Knights

Darkprincess
Chosen Babe of Slaanesh

The Big Picture (ie. how much victory will we be allowed ?)

Post by Darkprincess »

This campaign is not just about having a great time beating our opponents - There is future Druchii fluff at stake here. My wish for this campaign, right from the start, is to capture Ghrond, so that the Cult of Pleasure will have a permanent military base in Naggaroth. We would slaughter the Khainist infidels in the temple and in the streets. We would fight them on the gates and on the towers and ultimately in the High Temple itself. Any survivors of our glorious victory would be forced to flee the city and take up residence somewhere else - Har Ganeth would seem like a good place for them to go - The city of executioners is effectively the "second home" of the Khainists aslready.

However, an interesting question has come to light which I would like us to look at here....

What happens if we win ?

We are already winning a great victory in Ghrond and I see no reason to back off now - but if we capture the city, will GW let us keep it ?

This is still an unofficial campaign, and it concerns me that once the dust has settled, GW will not recognise our valliant efforts.

With this in mind I would like to start a discussion in here about this, and perhaps see which way we should proceed. For the time being, I think we should keep on hitting them hard in Ghrond, but I would like to discuss options that GW may be more willing to accept.

(The Watchtowers have been suggested, along with the other northern battlesites such as the chaos mashalling areas).

But in the meantime, I would like a discussion of options and objectives - what do YOU guys think ?

Let's see some ideas posted here and talk about possible solutions to the fluff dilemma.

If we abandon Ghrond for a weaker target, we run the risk of losing an objective that we are currently winning by a reasonable margin. (I don't want to be remembered as the general who had Ghrond in her grasp and then let it slip away on the eve of our greatest victory).

On the other hand, if we win Ghrond and lose everything else, GW might not recognise the win and so we would gain nothing.
The Dark Princess
High Priestess of the Cult Of Pleasure

Give yourself over to absolute pleasure
Swim the warm waters of sins of the flesh
Erotic nighmares beyond any measure
And sensual daydreams to treasure forever
Onyx paladin
Assassin

Post by Onyx paladin »

Well, first of all, I don't think this campaign is running down anytime soon. There will be more targets to conquer once we claim Ghrond.

Just like with the Arnheim battlesite, if we can win Ghrond by enough, a different battlesite will open up. From there, we can secure surrounding areas.

Being banished to the watchtowers imo would be the same as having nothing at all. I would see no reason that GW would change any fluff if some rebels held some watch towers. The Druchii would just build some new ones farther south.

I say we work Ghrond (and the Southern reaches, :)) until the arbiters of the campaign allow us to claim it. From there, we march south and claim further territories. While it looks "nice" that we have the watchtowers, ultimately the forces up there are Chaos armies. This means that while they are our allies, they aren't Druchii and may have to be expelled from our homelands some time in the future.
"Khaine only embraces death, while the Cult of Pleasure embraces life and all of its aspects. I often wonder how people have trouble choosing between the two."

~Lady Xaniphera, preistess of Slaanesh
Darkprincess
Chosen Babe of Slaanesh

Post by Darkprincess »

That's a very fair point Onyx, and I'm inclined to agree with it. I also agree that the campaign will run on for some time yet (hopefully the Khaine players will get tired of it before we do ;)

For myself, Ghrond is, and always has been, my preferred target - even if we don't take it completely, we can make a stronger point there than anywhere else in Naggaroth. I think that we should still continue to hit Ghrond hard whenever we get the opportunity, but we must be ready to respond to attacks anywhere as rapidly as possible.

So what do the other guys think ?

Come on, let's discuss it
The Dark Princess

Auric stormcloud
The Black Serpent

Post by Auric stormcloud »

Personally, I think we shouldn't give up the fight at Ghrond. You never know with Games-Workshop if they'll give us Ghrond or not- even if they don't, we still have the moral victory of having taken over the Khainite's main center of worship.

Secondly, I think we should only concentrate on areas where we are relatively close to beating the Khainites, such as the Southern Reaches- we are way to far behind at Karond Kar to have an impact. The Watchtowers might be an ideal target, though it'll take a lot of victories to bring the Khainites down.

I will probably keep the fight at Ghrond myself, as I am not getting in as many games I'd like to.
Poo-tee-weet?
Darkprincess
Chosen Babe of Slaanesh

Post by Darkprincess »

Yeah Auric - this is my way of thinking too - we can win the war at Ghrond, and I can always come up with a fluffy excuse as to why we can't hold on to it if GW in true Druchii style decide to stab us in the back...

I'm not getting enough games at the moment to make a difference but mine will inevitably concentrate on Ghrond as well.
The Dark Princess

Nagathi
The Exiled One

Post by Nagathi »

We never said giving up in Ghrond. It is basically a thought that our fight in there would be in vain. Ghrond is the capitol of Khaine. Would GW change that after an unofficial campaign? I think not. That's why I brought the issue up with darkprincess.
We want to change the fluff with this campaign, but I do not think Games Workshop will do such a radical change. If we manage to win in Ghrond, nothing fluffwise will happen. If we win in all northern sites, some fluff will change (less khainites there). Aim high, but not too high - that's the motto for us now, methinks.

I say we make some substancial hits in the southern reaches (there's been a slight loss of percentages there lately), and also keep hitting the walls of Ghrond. After a while, I think we should focus on Ghrond, Chaos Marshalling Areas, and The Watchtowers. Chaos Marsh. Areas and Watchtowers are actually sites we have the opportunity to change the fluff for. Ghrond is beyond our reach in my opinion.

- Nag
Onyx paladin
Assassin

Post by Onyx paladin »

While I certainly don't know anyone in GW, so I don't know thier way of thinking, I don't think of Ghrond as so far out of reach. Besides Har Ganeth, Ghrond is one of the most northern cities and the easiest to incite or subvert. It certainly isn't in the heart of the empire, and insurgents could have been gathering for years there.

Also, as the heart of Khainite worship, they are also the most easily fooled. I mean, who would expect heresy to show up at the religious heart of Nagaroth. Even if some people did know, would they let it leak that the holiest city is tainted?

Does anyone know when more sites might open up for play? I think that the more we influence an over all area, the more we can hope for a change in the official fluff. Perhaps after gaining Ghrond, we continue to Har Ganeth.

I don't like the idea of long term assistance within the chaos marshalling areas or watch towers. Eventually even the Cultists are going to stop the influx of human and beastman tribes into the Druchii homelands. We can't exactly have them running around and destroying our future homeland. Therefore, winning in these areas works against our overall strategy. Let the Khainists fight againt the Chaos creatures of the north, and take over the the seats of rulership from within. After all, isn't this what they did to us when we answered the call to arms in the South?
"Khaine only embraces death, while the Cult of Pleasure embraces life and all of its aspects. I often wonder how people have trouble choosing between the two."

Loran
Destroyer of Worlds
Location: Finland, the country people always think has penguins and polar bears walking in the streets...

Post by Loran »

Yes, we take Ghrond. That's a good thing. But I also agree with Nagathi that GW will propably not change the fluff based on an unofficial campaign, even if it is as big as this :?

But the Watchtowers and Chaos Marshalling areas might be a good place to actually dream of getting... And also the Southern parts... But Ghrond I believe will stay in Khainate hands despite the outcome of this campaign :(

- Loran
<+Hyarion> "Loran may cause addiction to mindless online games"

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Auric stormcloud
The Black Serpent

Post by Auric stormcloud »

Perhaps Ghrond will stay in the hands of the Khainites. Perhaps not. We can't really tell at this moment. We aren't GW, so we can't really predict their moves. Even if we weren''t to completely take over Ghrond, attacking it could weaken the Khainite's main stronghold, thus we could cause a severe blow to Khainite morale.
Poo-tee-weet?
Nagathi
The Exiled One

Post by Nagathi »

Onyx, I'm not sure how much you know about how GW operates their campaigns, but strong fluff is never changed. It's like the SoC campaign. The forces of light had won in one particular area, but GW said that "a sudden attack from several hellcannons made the city go into ruins" just to make the campaign move on. Now, if an unofficial campaign gets the outcome of the Khainite Capitol destroyed, do you really think Games Workshop will chage that in their established fluff? That possibility is not even a realistic chance...

Remember, I never said that we should stop fighting in Ghrond, I just think we should expand our views slightly.

- Nag
Scion of naggaroth
Noble

Post by Scion of naggaroth »

pile on the victories in ghrond you lot. Unfortunately there's only some empire and asur opponents near me so I am unable to contribute much to your war but I strive towards the betterment of the slaaneshi elsewhere as someone has to aid those still undiscovered inside the other cities.
- Zaknafein
Group 20
Alidith Du'Sletch

(WS) 5 (S) 4 (T) 2 (D) 4 (I) 4

Skills; 2 weapon fighting, Uncontrollable frenzy

Equipment; Longsword, Dagger, Winter cloak, Map of an Estate, Letter, 150 gold coins
Darkprincess
Chosen Babe of Slaanesh

Post by Darkprincess »

OK, we need all the wins we can get in whatever battlesites you happen to be fighting in - As said previously, my objective is, and always has been, Ghrond - I think that Nagathi is correct in suggesting that GW will never give it to us, but we can still damage it a bit :twisted:

Right now, we need to rack up wins at ever site....
The Dark Princess

Nagathi
The Exiled One

Post by Nagathi »

Ghrond: 58-42 (Slaanesh - Khaine)
Southern Reaches: 38-45-17 (Slaanesh - Khaine/Lizzies - Undead)
Watchtowers: 45-55 (Slaanesh - Khaine)
Chaos Marshalling Areas: 60-40 (Slaanesh - Khaine)

we had a solid advantage, but during the ansemce of D.net, I have been the only one to log battles for Slaanesh. This is not good. The Southern Reaches worry me the most... This is a very strategic location that we should try to take as soon as possible.

- Nag
Onyx paladin
Assassin

Post by Onyx paladin »

All of my opponents have been "burned out". Tis a bit annoying, as I have no one to play. I couldn't even get into the battle map for a while, though I'm sure a lot of people have just mounted up win/loss records and might not have posted them yet. I would wait to see what happens around new years.

Nagathi
The Exiled One

Post by Nagathi »

The site was down, but not the yahoo account mails are supposed to be sent to. I still don't have access to the ftp so I can upload the new battle_page.html, but as soon as I can I will.

- Nag