Improving Druchii.net's performance

Throw your ideas for Druchii.net around in here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Tarbo
Morathi's Best Friend
Morathi's Best Friend

Improving Druchii.net's performance

Post by Tarbo »

It's hardly a secret: Druchii.net has been having serious performance issues lately. Whether related to the server or the software it's running on, the truth is that we're getting 500's time after time. Sometimes, we complain about it, but maybe it's time we find out what's wrong.

Now, I wouldn't start a thread like this without having done a little research, first. There are two things that could be done to seriously improve responsiveness from the server, one of which has been briefly mentioned before, but let's go over the pros and cons of each.

Turn off compression? Druchii.net supports GZIP compression. I, myself, am a big proponent of servers supporting this because it saves bandwidth for every router that the packages pass. However, it's also a fact that compression guzzles CPU. Since no caching is done, each request is being compressed (iff the browser reveals it accepts compression). Perhaps we could experiment with turning it off for a week or so, see what the results are?

Pros -- less CPU needed
Cons -- increases bandwidth

Separate script & style from content? This was touched on before: Druchii.net loses a good deal of bandwidth with inline scripting and styling, and moving these to separate, cacheable objects would do us all a lot of good. Also, the less bytes on the wire, the less the server needs to work!

Pros -- less bandwidth
Cons -- requires some redesign

For a moment, I believed I had a third way, but it has slipped me. It probably wasn't worth much (oh yes, moving to another server--not sure how easy/expensive that is).

Turning off compression sounds like the safest bet. I'm not sure where the bottleneck is (database, CPU, bandwidth) but it's worth a shot, in my humble opinion.
Langmann
Malekith's Tastetester & Physician

Post by Langmann »

Yeah, it is a source of annoyance I have with the server company. Most of the time the server runs fine, but when it runs slow, I complain, they fix it, and I am pacified for a while.

Then it does it again.

The problem is the bottleneck between the server and the mysql server. I actually have half a mind to switch servers but then I am worried about going from the frying pan to the fire.

How often are you getting 500 errors, certain times during the month, every day? Everyone else?
While running a million dollar company, singing at weddings, and his frequent jetting to Spain Elton Jon style, Dark Alliance found the time to stand on the doorstep of Games Workshop like Moses and the Pharoah and calmly state, "Let my people go."
Tarbo
Morathi's Best Friend
Morathi's Best Friend

Post by Tarbo »

langmann wrote:How often are you getting 500 errors, certain times during the month, every day? Everyone else?
As befits the irony of complaining in IT, most problems stopped the instant I had posted this. Performance has been outright commendable ever since.

However, I've had repeated problems with it over most of August; sometimes, this was announced by the company providing the server, but often it was not. It would seem that holiday seasons are the times when some kind of maintenance is done on the server, or a time of DoS attacks.

If the bottleneck is the database, then there is little we can do. I doubt we have the access rights to upgrade the database, so that's not an option. We could limit the queries, but that'd kind of limit the point of the database-driven forum, eh? ;)
Balthamael
Cold One Knight

Post by Balthamael »

langmann wrote:How often are you getting 500 errors, certain times during the month, every day? Everyone else?

About 5-6 times since the beginning of September. I've tried to refresh the page regularly, but it takes about 10 minutes of refreshing attempts until the forum actually loads. Most of the 500 errors occured around 01.00 - 04.00 CET.
Linda lobsta defenda
Witch Elf
Witch Elf

Post by Linda lobsta defenda »

If you keep getting these errors write down the date and time and post them so we can get a clear picture of when this happens (oh and dont forget to add your timezone)
Tarbo
Morathi's Best Friend
Morathi's Best Friend

Post by Tarbo »

Linda Lobsta Defenda wrote:If you keep getting these errors write down the date and time and post them so we can get a clear picture of when this happens (oh and dont forget to add your timezone)
Saturday, 22h30 GMT. "Only" ten minutes that I know of.

Tuesday, Sept 11, 17h30-17h50 GMT+2 (1+DST)
Last edited by Tarbo on Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Langmann

Post by Langmann »

We also do have a problem with DoS attacks. The host actually does a fair job of fighting them off for us and getting things back up and running which is something I would have difficulty doing with my home servers since I don't have the time.

Apparently D.net has enemies.

Yeah keep a log as best we can so I have something to report to the company. They actually do go looking for problems for me and it helps if I have times to tell them about so they can sort out answers.
While running a million dollar company, singing at weddings, and his frequent jetting to Spain Elton Jon style, Dark Alliance found the time to stand on the doorstep of Games Workshop like Moses and the Pharoah and calmly state, "Let my people go."
Loki
Brolock
Brolock

Post by Loki »

Internal Server Error. 15:40 East coast of the US (GMT -4, I think)
2 more 500 errors at 18:00 GMT -5 (Thanks Rork).

Rork edit: GMT -5 ;)
Last edited by Loki on Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
+++ Team Mulligans +++

FAQ
Balthamael
Cold One Knight

Post by Balthamael »

9th of September 23.58 CET (GMT +1)
10th of September 14.51 Took atleast 20 minutes before I could load the page.
Last edited by Balthamael on Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eldacar
Loremaster

Post by Eldacar »

GMT +10, 11:30AM, Monday 10th September 2007. That search table was taking five minutes or so to load up.
"I live in hope and fear. Hope that once more the Lords of Caledor will ride on the backs of Dragons. Fear that if we do, when we do, it will be our last ride." ~Imrik, High Prince

Initiative Leader - Editors
Draknir
Dark Artist

Post by Draknir »

500 Internal Server Error, Monday 10th September 2007 16:43 GMT +2, I managed to re-enter the site 16:47.
1991 denver broncos
Trainee Warrior

Post by 1991 denver broncos »

I just got a 500 at around 14:30 BST.

I suspect that the problems could be easily resolved by changing servers. There are much busier forums out there (rllmuk for example), and they never suffer from lag. Though shutting donw one site, moving it, and re opening is a daunting task, and certainly not for the feint hearted.
Langmann

Post by Langmann »

How long has this been going on for most people now?
Loki
Brolock
Brolock

Post by Loki »

Well, at least since that time I've emailed you, but probably for most of the summer.
+++ Team Mulligans +++

FAQ
Eldacar
Loremaster

Post by Eldacar »

langmann wrote:How long has this been going on for most people now?

A fair chunk of the year, I'd say. Don't really know the exact dates, but it seems to come and go.
"I live in hope and fear. Hope that once more the Lords of Caledor will ride on the backs of Dragons. Fear that if we do, when we do, it will be our last ride." ~Imrik, High Prince

Initiative Leader - Editors
Dggrj
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Dggrj »

I know this isn't useful per se, but I've had really good performance with the site. And while I don't post too often, I'm here reading the page every day.
Elfik
Assassin
Location: Victoria, BC, on the Western shores of the New World

Post by Elfik »

Internal server error, 10:37pm, gmt - 7, Monday Sept.10.
People say "insert problem" but it's better to say "insert improvement"
1991 denver broncos
Trainee Warrior

Happened again today. I noticed from around 16:25 till 16:45 BST.
All your base are belong to us.
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

Happened just now, 1800 BST (GMT+1).

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Balthamael
Cold One Knight

Post by Balthamael »

11th of September 18.43 - 19.10 CET
GMT +1 (UCT+2 due to daylights savings time).
1991 denver broncos
Trainee Warrior

And again until 20:27 BST
All your base are belong to us.
Ranieth
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Ranieth »

550 at 18:00 GMT+1
Draknir
Dark Artist

Post by Draknir »

Ranieth wrote:550 at 18:00 GMT+1

Me too.
Loki
Brolock
Brolock

Post by Loki »

500 at Noon GMT -5
+++ Team Mulligans +++

FAQ
Arquinsiel
Shadowdancer

Post by Arquinsiel »

Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: Lost connection to MySQL server during query in /home/.catnochio/kitrik/druchii.net/db/mysql4.php on line 48

Warning: mysql_error(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/.catnochio/kitrik/druchii.net/db/mysql4.php on line 330

Warning: mysql_errno(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/.catnochio/kitrik/druchii.net/db/mysql4.php on line 331
phpBB : Critical Error

Could not connect to the database

Just now.
ImageImageImageImage
faerthurir wrote:Arq kicked me in the gyros.