Pet Slaves

Throw your ideas for Druchii.net around in here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Should we have Pet Slaves?

Poll ended at Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:26 am

Total votes: 0

Wizard 1995
Corsair

Pet Slaves

Post by Wizard 1995 »

Why don't we have some Pet Slaves for the opportunity of members to have something positive in thier membership. I had a few idea's:
1) Image
2) Image

Well what do you think?
Thanks, Malekith
Last edited by Wizard 1995 on Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Syion:
WS: 4 S: 4 T: 3 D: 2 I: 5

Equipment: Halberd, Long Sword X2, Shield and Light Armour.
Skill: Climb.
Inventory: 81G, Khaine Bracer.
Eldacar
Loremaster

Post by Eldacar »

What point would it serve?
"I live in hope and fear. Hope that once more the Lords of Caledor will ride on the backs of Dragons. Fear that if we do, when we do, it will be our last ride." ~Imrik, High Prince

Initiative Leader - Editors
Zakath the slaughterer
Master of Puppets

Post by Zakath the slaughterer »

Pet Slaves? Would they be part of everyone's signature/profile?
Master of puppets I'm pulling your strings/
Twisting your mind and smashing your dreams/
Blinded by me, you cant see a thing/
Just call my name, `cause Ill hear you scream
Cenyu
Khaindar

Post by Cenyu »

I don't really get the purpose of this thread. What more than the option to customize your avatar and signature does this forum need?
Kefka
Malekith's Best Friend
Location: That's for you to know and me to find out! Do I get a hint?

Post by Kefka »

Ogrestronghold has pet gnoblars, their given out by mods when someone does something useful for the website, such as a thread with a tutorial on how to do something complex.

It's a decent idea, but it really needs to be implemented from the get go of the site, or else veterans don't have any for all their previous work.

Fiat Obsidian - WS5 / S5 / T4 / D5 / I4
Equipment: Halberd, Zukhil Shield, Bastard Sword, Heavy Armour, Seadragon Cloak, Helmet of Slaanesh, Blackthorn Dagger
Mount: Locke (dark steed)
Gold: 488
Skills: Supernatural Awareness, Defensive Fighting, Intimidate, Drukh Kaganth (1)
Class: Warrior
Wizard 1995
Corsair

Post by Wizard 1995 »

Well I thought with these Pet Slaves the Forum could now run Competitons and a Pet Slave will be the prize, sorry I didn't explain in full I was in a rush. But I think this a great idea and it allows the members to have a positive thought when they receive a Pet Slave. Well we really need the Mods and the Admin to cover this. :)
Thanks, Malekith
Syion:
WS: 4 S: 4 T: 3 D: 2 I: 5

Equipment: Halberd, Long Sword X2, Shield and Light Armour.
Skill: Climb.
Inventory: 81G, Khaine Bracer.
Eldacar
Loremaster

Post by Eldacar »

So you're looking for "e-cred", in other words? I still don't really see the point of the whole idea. It's easier, for example, to just hand out titles to the winner of a competition (titles can be customised with html code if they appear to be bland), especially since titles are already installed.
"I live in hope and fear. Hope that once more the Lords of Caledor will ride on the backs of Dragons. Fear that if we do, when we do, it will be our last ride." ~Imrik, High Prince

Initiative Leader - Editors
Khel
Angel of Darkness

Post by Khel »

I still don't really get the whole idea and I find the idea rather pointless. My title for example was not for winning a competition but was for calling Rork smelly and was then given a punishment title. Long story though but back to topic, yeah rather pointless because why have a slave while you can have a title?

Title>Slave
Saldrimek Xenan - WS6 / S4 / T3 / D5 / I3

Equipment: Executioners Axe (Rune of Beastslaying - Heroic Killing Blow), 2 Scimitars (Rune of Speed - Always Strike First), Dagger, Rune Branded Leather Armour, Executioner Helm, Fine Set of Throwing Knives (x4)
Inventory: Amulet of Darkness, Poison Vials x7, Deadly Poison Vials x8
Mount: Dark Steed
Gold: 163
Skills: Ambidexterity, Frenzy, Two Weapon Fighting, Ride
Class: Khainite
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

We have title for such things, ultimately.

And Khel, you could have a title since your post count exceeds 1000 anyway ;).

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

So does mine but I havent found out how to actualy put it on my profile. Maybe this isnt the place but how on earth do you?
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Arch Deacon of the RPG forum
Gentleman of Moderation
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

You ask an admin.

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Crazyhorse
Highborn

Post by Crazyhorse »

I would agree with those above me, I see little use for it on this site. Maybe if it was here from the get-go but by now it would almost seem too much work IMHO.

-crazyhorse
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted then used against you.
Loflar
Warband Noble
Warband Noble

Post by Loflar »

I think that the idea is similar to the medals given on Round Table: Look here.
Khel
Angel of Darkness

Post by Khel »

Haha! I thought asking an admin would get myself a hide whipping. All this time and I didn't know...Ah well.

Equipment: Executioners Axe (Rune of Beastslaying - Heroic Killing Blow), 2 Scimitars (Rune of Speed - Always Strike First), Dagger, Rune Branded Leather Armour, Executioner Helm, Fine Set of Throwing Knives (x4)
Linda lobsta defenda
Witch Elf
Witch Elf

Post by Linda lobsta defenda »

Khel: We never take offence to people asking us things, even if it is things that are in the FAQ (hint).

Unless it is "what is the GOP?"
Khel
Angel of Darkness

Post by Khel »

I swear the "To do so, send a PM to an admin." part wasn't in there before now. Hmm, I smell a rat...and it isn't Rork. ;)
Just kidding mate. Now to lay low for a while.

By the way, what is a GoP? Just kidding again. Now to hide from Linda. *eep*

Nagathi
The Exiled One

Post by Nagathi »

I recall it being there even when I reached 1000 posts (which was a VERY long time ago ;))

To get back on topic, I seem to get into the same mindset as Eldacar on this one. Good behaviour, competition winners and similar should be (are?) awarded with custom titles or special titles. That works well enough.

~ Nag
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

Khel wrote:I swear the "To do so, send a PM to an admin." part wasn't in there before now.

It wasn't. I actually added it a couple of days ago...

It actually lurked in the Q&A thread (as far as I can tell) specifically, which Nagathi answered on Jan 15 2004.

I remember when I asked for my title, Vorchild wondered how I'd managed to get that many posts :lol:.

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Almundis
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Almundis »

a simpler time no doubt...
name: Rhyithan Uematsu
WS 4 (5)
Str 4
T 4
Dxty 2
Int 5
Equipment: Longsword, Shield, Lightarmor, Seadragon Cloak, Enchanted Draich (+1 WS).
skills: Two-Handed Weapon Fighting
10gc

awesome tattoo - priceless.
Tarbo
Morathi's Best Friend
Morathi's Best Friend

Post by Tarbo »

Loflar wrote:I think that the idea is similar to the medals given on Round Table: Look here.
These are pretty neat. And it has a system keeping track of who earned them just as well -- good for headhunters. ;) Seriously, looks like some effort went into that.

Now, on the topic at hand. I believe the discussion isn't as much about using pet slaves as much as giving "e-cred", as Eldacar called it. It cuts on both sides. What follows is my personal point of view, not some official stance or even researched.

Druchii.net has a fairly egalitarian essence. No matter how much brass you have hanging from your chest, you're subject to all the same rules: you must be polite, you must make work of your spelling, you should add something when you post, and so on, and so forth. The rules of the site that make the site what it is.

The more "decorations" (post count, titles, medals) are visible, the more class parity is introduced. People don't feel like arguing with a site administrator — okay, except Nagathi perhaps (just poking fun, Nag) — or a moderator. And while Druchii.net remains egalitarian in its approach, it will lose perception of egality. A mod is not always right, but if no-one wishes to argue, it will give that impression.

The same goes for other decorations. Suppose I get a medal pinned up for running SAUs (it's an example, bear with me). Suddenly other people who have hosted SAUs will be a bit left out, perhaps not feel welcome to host another. Meaning that we'd have to give everyone a decoration, which defeats the points of decorations.

Don't get me wrong. I generally like the idea of a decoration to promote what the community believes is the way to go. If people can act like grown-ups, it can give them an extra little reason to make that post better with a moment's thought. But it is also a breeding ground for strife, jealousy, and elitism.

Anyway, just my thoughts.
Langmann
Malekith's Tastetester & Physician
Malekith's Tastetester & Physician

Post by Langmann »

Rork wrote:I remember when I asked for my title, Vorchild wondered how I'd managed to get that many posts :lol:.

It was from losing all those arguments against me regarding the revision of the Dark Elf list.
While running a million dollar company, singing at weddings, and his frequent jetting to Spain Elton Jon style, Dark Alliance found the time to stand on the doorstep of Games Workshop like Moses and the Pharoah and calmly state, "Let my people go."
Lordsaradain
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lordsaradain »

Khel wrote:Title>Slave

Agree. Lets keep this forum unique as it is, Ogrestronghold is a great forum too, but its not druchii.net. Period.
Click here to find out how to convert cooler and cheaper models!
(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < ) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

langmann wrote:It was from losing all those arguments against me regarding the revision of the Dark Elf list.

I let you win sometimes. I'm a good sportsman like that ;).

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Crazyhorse
Highborn

Post by Crazyhorse »

I think Tarbo hit it on the head. It seems to me that the post count doesn't mean anything, people earn the respect on this site by making good posts. I personally would rather have respect than a million medals. I vote against the idea.

-crazyhorse
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted then used against you.
Overmind
Beastmaster

Post by Overmind »

I've never much seen the point of those pet gnoblars or the medals from Round Table.com. We should all be able to make nice legible posts without being rewarded. We should all do our best to help out.

Besides we are Druchii, we don't keep pets.
Les yuex sans le vie
Les magots ont infesté cadaver
Montagne du crane
Quelque du chose mon favorite.....