The D.R.A.I.C.H. Poll for a new forum

Throw your ideas for Druchii.net around in here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Where should The D.R.A.I.C.H. go?

Total votes: 0

Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

The D.R.A.I.C.H. Poll for a new forum

Post by Calisson »

Hi mates!

As some of you have noticed, I started a collective writing of what is supposed to be our future Book of Art of War for Druchii generals.
The initial thread's name was LBAW7eD, for Living Book of Art of War for 7th edition Druchii.

Now we got a better title:
The D.R.A.I.C.H.
Druchii Rules Analysis, Innovative Counselling & Help
http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=55588

The basic principles are laid:
LBAW7eD - http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=55429

The Table of Content is initiated:
LBAW7eD contents - http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=55572

I start to have some volunteers.

Dark Alliance wrote:It may well be a better idea to create a seperate forum for this, allocate a working group with an overall moderator responsible for cleansing the threads, and updating the lead posts.

So what do you think? This is supposed to be YOUR strategy book, so YOUR opinion is of importance.

And of course, you're welcome aboard as contibutor or more.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Khel
Angel of Darkness

Post by Khel »

Dedicated forum, definitely.
Saldrimek Xenan - WS6 / S4 / T3 / D5 / I3

Equipment: Executioners Axe (Rune of Beastslaying - Heroic Killing Blow), 2 Scimitars (Rune of Speed - Always Strike First), Dagger, Rune Branded Leather Armour, Executioner Helm, Fine Set of Throwing Knives (x4)
Inventory: Amulet of Darkness, Poison Vials x7, Deadly Poison Vials x8
Mount: Dark Steed
Gold: 163
Skills: Ambidexterity, Frenzy, Two Weapon Fighting, Ride
Class: Khainite
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

Khel wrote:Dedicated forum, definitely.

QFA
quoted for agreement
Loki
Brolock
Brolock

Post by Loki »

I think it should just be a sticky in the Tactics Forum. No need for a whole separate forum for something that is essentially tactics.
+++ Team Mulligans +++

FAQ
Crawd
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Crawd »

it could be a sub-forum within the Tactics forum though.
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

Actually i think Crawd hit the nail right on the head there, that would work perfectly. You click tactics on the main forum list and you come up with two forums D-R-A-I-C-H and main tactics forum. If anyone has a reason why that is a bad idea let him/her speak...
Loki
Brolock
Brolock

Post by Loki »

I'm just not really seeing the point for a whole new forum, or even a sub-forum. If it is just going to be an article that gets added to, there seems to be no reason for a new forum. A stickied thread should be just fine.
+++ Team Mulligans +++

FAQ
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

I feel a complete new thread would be too much, though i did first agree to this i can see why a lot of people would object. It is after all about tactics. However, putting it as a sticky in tactics when there are going to be about 5?10? threads making up the living book seems silly. Both it would crowd the sticky tactics section and also perhaps not be seen so much? Im happy with a sub-forum in tactics forum as this is halfway between the two, the best of both worlds or whatever you want to say.
£0.02
Roman v. numeral
Shade

Post by Roman v. numeral »

I think a sticky would be the best way to go, that way it is easy to find and easy for newer people to stumble onto. Plus D.R.A,I.C.H. will end up being, to a large degree, essentially about druchii tactics.

If it really takes off successfully, I'm sure it wouldn't be all that hard to convert to something like a subforum later on.
Group 25!

Name: Cenar Stoneburn
Class: Warrior
Stats: WS:4, S:5, T:4, D:3, I:2
Equipment: Long sword, shield, light armour
Loki
Brolock
Brolock

Post by Loki »

The best idea is to keep 1 thread for this project, and have it locked. Then have someone update it (hmmm maybe a friendly mod who runs the Tactics Forum?) once a clear article is written for it. Otherwise, you'll just have a separate forum that is composed of Druchii Tactics, something we already have a forum for.
+++ Team Mulligans +++

FAQ
Elfik
Assassin
Location: Victoria, BC, on the Western shores of the New World

Post by Elfik »

I think the idea is to get as much good, refined material as possible, where people with experience with certain types of armies share their experience. Don't you think people will be more forthcoming in a (temporary)separate forum?
People say "insert problem" but it's better to say "insert improvement"
Moonblade
Cold One Knight

Post by Moonblade »

Can't we just somehow combine the old Topic of the Month initiative + Hall of Fame with the newly organized DRAICH thingy? I believe the purposes overlap and as such the aforementioned sections are better to be re-organized with one being part of the other. For example Topic of the month could very well become part of the DRAICH master-section as DRAICH ranges over a larger number of subjects. I would love to see a well organized tactics collection with table of content and proper inter-linking between topics. Good luck, guys :)
Game Designer. At last. Period.
Ukko
Shade

Post by Ukko »

If it's going to be a series of articles then a seperate forum section would be better I reckon, that said if it's going to be more of a backwards/forwards discussion then a stickied thread makes more sense IMO.

Look forward to seeing how it comes together
Celius
Cold One Knight

Post by Celius »

I'm going to say i think it should be a locked sticky. That way everyone will contribute to the threads in tactics and it can be continuously updated depending on what discussions there are. Otherwise people may find themselves split on where to post tactics and the like.
Finally; someone's put the 7th Edition Dark Elf book up for download: Here!
Grab it while you can!
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

I agree with Celius.
Truly These are the End Times ...
Rugi
Noble
Location: probably still burried under snow after a failed backflip attempt

Post by Rugi »

No need for a dedicated forum. We all want to make druchii.net better and writing tactics on another forum won´t do anything good to druchii.net
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

I'd say the sticky option is best. The whole point of the tactics forum should be geared towards developing tactics and utilising the army and its rules. The two overlap so much that you can't realistically disentangle the two.

And 'innovative counselling'? Does the counsellor and patient have to stand on their heads or something? :P

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Loki17 wrote: No need for a whole separate forum for something that is essentially tactics.

I plan to include two chapters probably belonging to the forum "Druchii Army List":
Units combining into an army..... http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?p= ... ht=#687983
Classic Army lists...................... http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?p= ... ht=#687985

The D.R.A.I.C.H. would be streched on two forums.
It is not really a problem, with the hyperlinks, you could well point from one forum to another. It is just a matter of coherence.

Heartrender wrote:putting it as a sticky in tactics when there are going to be about 5?10? threads making up the living book seems silly. Both it would crowd the sticky tactics section and also perhaps not be seen so much?

That is the essence of the question.
Again, it is not a problem, I just need the Table of Contents to be sticked, where hyperlinks would point at 10 or 20 related D.R.A.I.C.H. threads in the tactic or in the army list forum. From a technical point of view, it should work easily.
I am more concerned with the possibility that people addicted to their usual tactics thread resent that irruption of the D.R.A.I.C.H. thing.

Loki17 wrote:The best idea is to keep 1 thread for this project, and have it locked.

Certainly NOT locked. The idea of Living-First-Page-Threads allows discussion to keep going at the end of the thread while the author edits and updates the First Page which includes all the relevant information. Hence no need for an admin to update that first page.

Moonblade wrote:I would love to see a well organized tactics collection with table of content and proper inter-linking between topics.
That is exactly the idea.

Celius wrote:I'm going to say i think it should be a locked sticky. That way everyone will contribute to the threads in tactics and it can be continuously updated depending on what discussions there are. Otherwise people may find themselves split on where to post tactics and the like.
Good point as well. The specific forum is not a no-brainer idea. It has advantages and drawbacks. This is why the debate is open.

Rork wrote:'innovative counselling'? Does the counsellor and patient have to stand on their heads or something?
:) I wish the counsels be innovative (it depends on the quality of the posts, of YOUR posts); I feel the way to counsel (a living-ToC hyperlinked to Living-First-Page-Threads) is itself innovative but of course it is debatable !wink! . No, only Aussies & Kiwis have to stay upside down as usual :roll: , in the North Hemisphere I don't see any need for that.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Linda lobsta defenda
Witch Elf
Witch Elf

Post by Linda lobsta defenda »

Put it in tactics. No more bloody forums.
Lord ghrond
Slave on the Altar

Post by Lord ghrond »

Calisson wrote:I plan to include two chapters probably belonging to the forum "Druchii Army List":
Units combining into an army..... http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?p= ... ht=#687983
Classic Army lists...................... http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?p= ... ht=#687985

The D.R.A.I.C.H. would be streched on two forums.
It is not really a problem, with the hyperlinks, you could well point from one forum to another. It is just a matter of coherence.

Those types of articles would still go in Tactics. The Army List forum is for posting/review of specific lists. General list-building advice goes in tactics.
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

Lord Ghrond wrote:Those types of articles would still go in Tactics. The Army List forum is for posting/review of specific lists. General list-building advice goes in tactics.

That's the post I wanted to make that was evading my brain!

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

I've dealt with this for you. I have stickied the Table of Contents thread, as this has the links to everything else.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

After 48 votes were cast, the ToC has been sticked, while I was reading.
Thank you DA.

---------------------------------------------------------
Reviewing the poll, the issue was really debatable:
- a strong minority wishes a dedicated forum;
- all other opinions grouped together indicate a slightly stronger wish to stay within the tactics forum (most admin I know favored that as well, it may have helped tilt the balance).

So the poll has been useful in providing us with such indication.

Having the D.R.A.I.C.H. ToC sticked in the beginning of the tactics forum will definitely answer the need expressed by many:

- one clic into the tactics forum
- one click into the D.R.A.I.C.H., easy to spot at the beginning of the forum
- one click inside the D.R.A.I.C.H. thread into the sub-topic.

The sticked ToC makes it easy to find even in the long term future.

Also, there is no need to find a dedicated aministrator for a would-be new forum.

Discussions about D.R.A.I.C.H. will go on inside the tactics forum, with the help of the general forum (many hyperlinks I posted already in the TOC point towards the general discussion forum).

There is still one thing to do for which I need some help:
How can I change all "LBAW7eD" in the titles of all the threads that have it (including, most importantly, the ToC), for "D.R.A.I.C.H."? :?:
Help would be apreciated. :)

Thank you for your participation to the poll.

I am still looking for help in order to achieve the work.
All your contributions will be apreciated. For anyone wishing to be more involved, there are still many sub-thread waiting to be created, as I indicate in the ToC.
Calisson
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

Name change done.