Dwarf artillery army

For discussion about all the lesser races of Warhammer. Talk about armies, tactics and lists to take on the Druchii here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Puppet of kaine
Corsair

Dwarf artillery army

Post by Puppet of kaine »

there is a warhammer tournament that I am going to and have decided to use dwarves.please comment on the list :)

General
runesmith
+ great weapon
+ gromil armour
+ master rune of balance
+ rune of spellbreaking
=157

thane
+ great weapon
+ gromil armour
+ shield
+ rune of cleaving
+ rune of striking
+ rune of warding
=119

engineer
+ gromil armour
+great weapon
=77

core troops

16 warriors
+heavy armour
+shield
+full command
=169

10 thunderers
=140

10 crossbowmen
=120

10 crossbowmen
=120

10 crossbowmen
=120

10 crossbowmen
=120

special troops

2 bolt throwers
=90

2 bolt throwers
=90

1 cannon
=100

17 ironbreakers
+ full command
+rune of slowness
=301

rare troops

1 flame cannon
=140

1 organ gun
=125

total =
Slayer69
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Slayer69 »

SRY for my criticism but: You play a shooty army and you only have medium size blocks of infantry? Oh MY GOD!----

Shooty army=defensive= Slayers....take at least a unit of 10 of them!

Then increase your normal unit of Warriors up to 20 at least!
I now some people like Crossbows better becasue of the fluff but I'd go for Thunderers they are more dangerous...the best thing about them is that they can move and fire so they can even be a good flanking unit!....

Boost your Ironbreakers up to 19.....

Use a Lord, A BSB and a Runesmith...(drop the Master Rune of Balance for another scroll or two!)

Your cannon needs a rune of Forging on it!
How about equipping the Bolt Throwers with Runes?
Give one of them Rune of Penetration and the other Master Rune of Skewering!

For your rare choices I'd say only take one of them (Flame Cannon), becasue they are way to expensive used together ( the organ Guns range is too low)!

If i can give you an advise for your lord then use:
Lord
gromril armour
shield
Rune of stone
Master Rune of Swiftness
2 Runes of Cleaving =220 points

Here you have a lord with 4 S6 attacks that always go first!

I you want my opinion play like this

2 Units of 25 Warriors (1 of them Great weapons/ 1 hand weapon shield ....blocks of 20 are ok though)

10 Thunderers (1-2 Units)

10 Slayers

19 ironbreakers

Cannon

2 Bolt throwers

Flame cannon

BSB (Thane with Master Rune of Gromril and Great Axe!)

Runesmith (Rune of Spellbreaking, Rune of Fury)
gromril
Great Weapon.....

Thats how i'd play!
Reaper
Silverlight
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Silverlight »

yay, way too few block of warriors, or at least something to stand and hold a charge of something else than skinks or light cavalary.....
just slayers, and more slayes, and still more of them...
hey, just go full slayer !eek! :twisted:
-DULCE BELLUM INEXPERTIS-
Watch out, I've got a fish and I know how to use it!
-The dark elves will come and steal all your coockies
Slayer69
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Slayer69 »

Don't go full Slayer but include a unit of 10-12 with giant slayer!
Reaper
Puppet of kaine
Corsair

The problem with slayers are that they tend to get charged and with no armour are easily killed or if its not combat its shooting or magic.Aswell you are only allowed one master rune in your army. :shock:
note to self:
do not mourn over every model that dies in battle.
do not bring landraider and whisper to it during battle.
do not say disturbing lotr phrases and quotes during battle.
Valorian the merciless
Beastmaster

Post by Valorian the merciless »

the ideas are good but a bsb is not allowed to wield a great axe,
just thought you should know
...I'm the king....
...the master of parody...
...Rejoice...
...for the writing continues...
Pmpn8ez
Evil Vampire Lord Fluffy

Post by Pmpn8ez »

puppet of kaine wrote:The problem with slayers are that they tend to get charged and with no armour are easily killed or if its not combat its shooting or magic.Aswell you are only allowed one master rune in your army. :shock:

You're only allowed one master rune of each type... as long as they're different master runes and on different items, they can be taken (even if being used by the same bearer). For starters, your BSB is not allowed to take a 2-handed weapon if he is carrying the BSB, nor may he take a shield (though he didn't, this is just for reference). I'd take out the slayers entirely and give the thunderers shields if they don't already have them. They can easily double as a really good combat unit (really good, in fact) as well as a missile unit for just 1 point more per model. I'd also give both warrior units GW and shields, so they have the option to choose between a 3+ save and S5, depending on what enemy they are fighting. I don't play dwarfs, but I've heard from a ton of sources who do that having the option is worth much more than the cost implies.
"We are the most civilized race in the world. We have more exquisite ways to kill than any other." -Lord Vraneth the Cruel, master of Har Ganeth

«The wonder has a name: pmpn8ez.»
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

If you are going to play like that, at least one of those war machines should have a rune so that their shots are magical. Ethereal troops will be a pain if you don't have something to weaken them at range.

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Slayer69
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Slayer69 »

Valorian the Merciless wrote:the ideas are good but a bsb is not allowed to wield a great axe,
just thought you should know

Whoops forgot that...then still use a BSB without a great weapon but with master Rune of Gromril!
Reaper
Puppet of kaine
Corsair

You're only allowed one master rune of each type... as long as they're different master runes and on different items, they can be taken (even if being used by the same bearer).

You can'ttake more than one master rune in an army.This is out of the rulebook.No master rune may be used more than once per army.
note to self:
Pmpn8ez
Evil Vampire Lord Fluffy

Post by Pmpn8ez »

It's not in the rulebook because the rulebook has nothing to do with Dwarfs. In the army book, it says you may only have 1 of a given type of master rune, but in terms of master runes in general, there may be more than 1 in the army (as long as it's not the same master rune and as long as they're not on the same item).
"We are the most civilized race in the world. We have more exquisite ways to kill than any other." -Lord Vraneth the Cruel, master of Har Ganeth

«The wonder has a name: pmpn8ez.»
Slayer69
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Slayer69 »

pmpn8ez wrote:It's not in the rulebook because the rulebook has nothing to do with Dwarfs. In the army book, it says you may only have 1 of a given type of master rune, but in terms of master runes in general, there may be more than 1 in the army (as long as it's not the same master rune and as long as they're not on the same item).

pmpn8ez is right...I got the rulebook next to me and I've been playing dwarfs for 2 years.....so my expereince (mainly the book) tells me that it is legal!

Use the army that I thought of with some variations and you'll have a good Tournament force!
Reaper
Manwe
Highborn

Post by Manwe »

Hmmm I have to agree the list isn't really able to take a charge. With only 2 combat units. However with this massed amount of shooting coming towards the enemy it will weaken them immensely. It won't work however. You need mroe and bigger units of warriors and the like. I like it you choose for crosbowmen, they are often under-appreciated, but they can fire at a range of 30 which is alot. Overall I'd say this list needs redoing.
Pirateering the #1 Dutch national hobby 1600-1700...

--------------
Group 24
Khaleth
WS: 4 S: 4 T: 4 D: 3 I: 3

Equipment: Long Sword, Spear, Shield, Light Armour and Wolfskin cloack. 145 Gold.

Skills: -
Puppet of kaine
Corsair

Would taking a unit of 20 miners and dropping the cannon for some longbeards do the job?Also dropping the organ gun for the goblin hewer?

thanks for the comments :o
note to self:
Slayer69
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Slayer69 »

No Miners! No longbeards...Goblin hewer GOOD!

i'd go with a Unit of Warriors equipped with GW instead of the Miners cause they are cheaper

I'd use a unit of Ironbreakers instead of the Longbeards!

as said...3 main units+10 slanyers are a need (in my opinion!=
Reaper
Puppet of kaine
Corsair

i'd go with a Unit of Warriors equipped with GW instead of the Miners cause they are cheaper

Although miners are more costly with their special rule of coming up from any board edge they could stop the enemy from marching and charge them In the flank.
note to self:
Slayer69
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Slayer69 »

If they comeout at turn 2 they might be able to stop the enamy from marching 1 unit (flank unit) or none (if they came from the back cause they won't be near enough enemy models....

Then they are too slow to keep up with the enemy battleline that kicks the S*** out of your troops due to flank charges where another unit should have been protecting its flank!

I think they are very good in a steamroller army where the Dwarf player play 5-6 large units and you march up to the enemy and get the miners in their backs!.....yet steamroller armies are only good with ne artillary...

So I'd say go for the GW!
Reaper
Manwe
Highborn

Post by Manwe »

You can take a small unit of miners to take out the enemy artillery and the like... This will be worth it, pointswise anyway.
Pirateering the #1 Dutch national hobby 1600-1700...

--------------
Group 24
Khaleth
WS: 4 S: 4 T: 4 D: 3 I: 3

Equipment: Long Sword, Spear, Shield, Light Armour and Wolfskin cloack. 145 Gold.

Skills: -