Vampire Count Bloodlines

For discussion about all the lesser races of Warhammer. Talk about armies, tactics and lists to take on the Druchii here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Frost808
Slave (off the Altar)

Vampire Count Bloodlines

Post by Frost808 »

What VC bloodline is the coolest.... I love the strigoi..They have a good characterful backround, there are the living beasts of the undead. I also think they are some of the scariest vampies. Thier huge bodys and ugly appearance...... as for Von Carstien there just too plain for me, The blood dragons are cool but I like the more brutal fighting of the strigoi.. Necarch are probably my second favortie the best magic users possilby in the game

so what is your fav BL
"No Women, Not Kids"
Artein
Highborn

Post by Artein »

I agree with you. Strigoi are cool and they have great fluff, they are quite similar to Nosferatu from Vampire: The Masquarade...
Arquinsiel
Shadowdancer

Post by Arquinsiel »

Erm.... nosferatu are more like Necarch vampires, what with looking the exact same and shunning contact with others and all......
ImageImageImageImage
faerthurir wrote:Arq kicked me in the gyros.
Kida
Undercover Asrai

Post by Kida »

Lately, I'm quite fond of Von Carsteins, even in normal, non-AoS armies. I used to play at tournaments with Blood Dragons and Necrarhs and my brother uses Stigoi (he likes those big brutes).

But somehow Von Carsteins emit that feeling of lordship and gentlemanship, truly the quinessential vampires. And they have some very quirky and usefull bloodlines and, IMO, the best Vampire Thrall combo you can make (Wolf Form, Flayed Haubrek and Great Weapon).

And you get to use that fake Romanian accent, with hard 'R's...sweet :lol: .

my Last.fm page in case anyone is interested...
Vorchild
Master of the Red Legion
Master of the Red Legion

Post by Vorchild »

I think the best thing about vampire counts is their versatility in allowing you to play very different styles with the different bloodlines, which helps enforce both interesting themes and styles of play. If you like combat, you've got BD. If you like magic, you've got necrarchs, if you like skirmishers and more movement control, there's the Strigoi. Carsteins are your generic, and I still can't properly place lahmians given that they are so much like carsteins except they play more leadership games.

I like plying VC as a horde, so I go with Carsteins (since you get 18" general range) and then just swarm. ;)
_
The storm is coming...
Are you ready?
Dictator
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Dictator »

I have never played with the army as of yet but what of the Lahmians? I have been seeing as well the ability to "abuse" the strigoi blood line? Is that true.... Right now for me however it would have to be the BD since my DE chars are only used as helpers not destroyers of units :lol: :lol: ;)
"The Cowards never came, the Weak died along the way, the Brave arrived, the Tough remained." -unknown American pioneer
VC painting log
My blog
My Lizardmen
Zentaricai
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Zentaricai »

I've been very partial to Strigoi, they have great fluff (as all the blood lines do). The "pack" mentality is so attainable when playing them. Imagining all your enemies beign swarmed by ravenous hordes of ghouls and undead wolves. I can make such a quick army with these guys--its sometimes faster and more flexble than my Dark Elves.
The only downside are GW Strigoi and Ghoul models--they sap the fluff right our of playing them. Go to Reaper and stock up on their Bat Lords and Ghouls instead.

lastly, give a thrall Iron Sinews and Eternal Hatred and it will give you 4 wounds on ANYTHING it hits all for 130 points ! Just awesome!
DON'T MONKEY WITH MY BUSINESS
Pmpn8ez
Evil Vampire Lord Fluffy

Post by Pmpn8ez »

Since the fluff of the 5th edition army book, I've always loved the Von Carsteins. Before 6th edition, they were no more or less "plain" than any other bloodline and the pages and pages written about the Vampire Wars were just brilliant. Mannfred had always been my favorite of the vampires themselves (regardless of his less-than-amazing rules for 5th ed.) since he had the longevity of his reign tied to his campaign against humanity (he also had some great quotes, notably the cattle one).
"We are the most civilized race in the world. We have more exquisite ways to kill than any other." -Lord Vraneth the Cruel, master of Har Ganeth

«The wonder has a name: pmpn8ez.»
Druchiishootlord
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Druchiishootlord »

Personally i am a Blood Dragon lover. I am very much into the Medieval courtly manner, which is why my next army is goign to be Brets. but just the story about Caleb of the Order of the Blood Dragon...no other story in the game to me matches it. I guess that is just my kind of mentality.
"Like never before will the weaker race of men tremble before our might."

Lord Yeurl to his captain before a battle in the Old World.

R4V3N wrote:do not question eldacar.

his word is law.
Zentaricai
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Zentaricai »

Personally i am a Blood Dragon lover

Eeeewwww....creepy.

Seriously, the BloodDragons are great. They are "purists" much like the STrigoi and hence easy to make a great themed army to play and at the end of the game your opponent KNOWS he has faced not just the "VC's" but the Blood Dragons or Strigoi....
DON'T MONKEY WITH MY BUSINESS
Belial
Modest Member

Post by Belial »

I'm mostly towards the Blood Dragon(in fact, play them myself).

The whole thingie that this is not an even villain trying to grind all living to dust, but a man mere wanting to test his meddle...

The story in the VC army book, about that knight fighting a Blood Dragon... Love at first fright(Murderdolls fans reckognize that one)...
Loran
Destroyer of Worlds
Location: Finland, the country people always think has penguins and polar bears walking in the streets...

Post by Loran »

I personally like the Vampire Counts bloodlines' differences. If you like to go face to face in a challenge, you have the Blood Dragons. If you want magic, you have the Necrarchs. If you want skirmishers and more movement control, you have the Strigoi. If you want to disrupt your opponent's plans with leadership, you have the Lahmians. And then there are the generic "Dracula-like" Von Carsteins. The fluff for the different bloodlines is also very good and describes the beginning and the separation from the other bloodlines very well.

I often play a horde army, so I mostly use the Von Carsteins. That 18" range for the general is nice for a horde ;) But I've often used the heavy magic of the Necrarchs and the awesome combat abilities of the BLood Dragons. So far I haven't tried Strigoi or Lahmia, but I'll get to them sooner or later :P

- Loran
<+Hyarion> "Loran may cause addiction to mindless online games"

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Malevion
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Malevion »

I gotta go with the Von Carstein's

They are the most stylish of the bloodlines and style is the most important thing to any true vampire (well apart from blood)

They aren't glorified zombies like Necrarch and Strigoi, brazen strumpets like the Lahmians or even bloodthirsty psychopaths like the Blood Dragons. They are true vampires and thats why they are the coolest.

plus they have the coolest models(although judging by the rest of the vampire range that's not hard to do)
He is a pimp and pimps don't commit suicide.

Dead men don't strike first
Caesar1
Noble

Post by Caesar1 »

A friend plays with Blood Dragons, they are interesting, both to play against and probably with... I Would probably use them if I ever do Vampires. I also think that the Carsteins are cool, I love that feeling of evil nobility, honorable but insidious type of thing.

Caesar
“To win without risk is to triumph without glory.”
- Pierre Corneille, 'The Cid,' 1636
Druchiishootlord
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Druchiishootlord »

Zentaricai wrote:
Personally i am a Blood Dragon lover

Eeeewwww....creepy.

Seriously, the BloodDragons are great. They are "purists" much like the STrigoi and hence easy to make a great themed army to play and at the end of the game your opponent KNOWS he has faced not just the "VC's" but the Blood Dragons or Strigoi....

i just like the fact that i can have a tough combat machine to where even the hero level character could stand up to a lot of lord level characters. I am honestly obsessed with the honor and noble bearing in combat of the Blood Dragons. My dream leader right there if he wasn't undead and damn close even though he is.
"Like never before will the weaker race of men tremble before our might."

Lord Yeurl to his captain before a battle in the Old World.

R4V3N wrote:do not question eldacar.

his word is law.
Cal
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Cal »

I play Strigoi as my main bloodline, they're tactically flexible but they also add an element of fun to the game with their background and the themed armies a lot of people take. I also use Necrarch on occasion but Strigoi are my mainstay.
NK wrote:Bonjour et bienvenue lá Druchii.net Hastings!(Excuse the Christie pun, I'm an avid reader of Poirot!)! Cannot help you here mon ami, but again bienvenue! Now, I must say 'Abiento!'. I have threads to browse.
Death on a stick
Highborn

Post by Death on a stick »

I persnaly prefer lamarians just because of the way that they are every where and because they are not combat monsters then you realy need to think about what you are doing in order to win with them. Plus i like the fluff too.
Death is the only true certainty in life

Post by Guest »

The Strigoi reminds me of the Samedi from vampire, only without the smell of the grave.

The bloodlines I like the most are the Blood Dragon's and the Necrarch's, and really like reading the backgrounds on both.
Hali
Grand Executioner

Post by Hali »

i like the Lamians, Blood Dragons and the Nechrachs...but i don't like the other two. I like the Blood Dragons because they give you the chance to fill your army out more like another elitist army rather than the standard Horde.
Lamians beacause of their sutbler style of play.
And Nechrachs because everyone thinks because they're mages they wont kick like a donkey in a fight. Not to mention the cool magic strength they have access to.

I don;t paticualrly like the fluff on the strigoi or Von Carstiens either, and i especially dislike the models. But yeah...i think that's my two cents.
Flayer
Executioner

Post by Flayer »

Strigoi? Cool background nice feel but I'd be f'd if I could play them
Lahmians? Sexy, seductive and sadistic. Great for smaller battles
Von Carstein? The background was good but hasn't been improved on for some time. Mediocre army.
Necrarch? GREAT if you're going to play large battles but their history is a little sketchy (as it should be)
Blood Dragons?Nice history, the only army you can have as ultimate fighters in games of over 3 or 4 thousand points (Bloodline traits kick arse and you cease to need the special weapons you have such a limited choice on)

All in all Necrarch and Blood Dragons are great for larger battles, I personally love them and though their history is not as developed as some its still pretty good.
Burn their villages, raze their crops, do what you will but BRING ME THEIR HEADS!
Demonthenes
Dark Rider

Post by Demonthenes »

I'm personally a Blood Dragon lover. I have an army of undead Dark Elves (kind of like the High Elf one featured in white Dwarf, expect my are Dark Elves and thus cool)

I haven't actually fielded the army yet (It's approxiamatley 3000 points) , I've only bought the models and painted them. I've mainly been playing Druchii!

I was wondering what the best things to equip a BD Vampire count/lord with. He's either mounted on a undead steed (CO), on foot or a dragon (i like having different versions of my General. And I like converting Dragons!). I really like the idea behond the BLOOD DRINKER sword, but as it still allows armour saves I'm not sure.

Any help on possible Lord/Count Configs?
Drink deep the blood of the fallen!

- Demonthenes, Angel of Death
Flayer
Executioner

Post by Flayer »

What dwarf is this high elf undead list in?
Burn their villages, raze their crops, do what you will but BRING ME THEIR HEADS!
Xizor
Chris Tomlin

Post by Xizor »

Strigoi are my favourite bloodline, I played with an army for a few games, found them, very very powerfull. I really like Blood Dragons also, but they seem over played atm.

As it happens...my Strigoi are on eBay atm...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... %3AIT&rd=1

later.
The Black Sun Weekly - an AoS Podcast

Follow me on Twitter; @the_black_sun
Kida
Undercover Asrai

Post by Kida »

Demonthenes wrote:Any help on possible Lord/Count Configs?

How about this count:

Full plate, mundane shield, GW (so you have an option of either S5 2+ AS or S7), 5+ Ward, Killing Blow, +1 Attack and Black Periapt.

In that combination I like taking one Necromancer with Scroll+Book and the other with Staff of Damnation (works wonders with S7, 5 KB Attacks from your Vamp).

my Last.fm page in case anyone is interested...
Demonthenes
Dark Rider

Post by Demonthenes »

Flayer wrote:What dwarf is this high elf undead list in?

I belive number 285, the October 2003 issue. This is a guess as I don not have it at hand but I'm fairly sire i have it accurate. It is the one with the Nurgle Beastmen and tree on the cover (vague, i know).

I really like the army in it, it looks quite striking.
Drink deep the blood of the fallen!

- Demonthenes, Angel of Death