7th Ed. Steam Tank

For discussion about all the lesser races of Warhammer. Talk about armies, tactics and lists to take on the Druchii here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Reinhardt
Trainee Warrior

7th Ed. Steam Tank

Post by Reinhardt »

With the release of the Empire army book still 4 months away, I have found myself wondering what will become of the mighty steam tank in 7th Ed.

I think the rules for damaging it are going to change(as much as I hate to admit it, they are a little broken, unless you have the gauntlent of power or a bloodthirster in your list).

What say you?

Also is the tank tournament legal at the current time?

Long reign Karl Franz :twisted:
Loki
Brolock
Brolock

Post by Loki »

I would like to see it be nerfed just a little. I wouldn't mind it as much if it were a bit easier to wound. But, I can't really say what will or will not happen, Im not one to find rumors. As for if it is legal, you will have to check with the tournament rules pack to see what is or isn't banned.
+++ Team Mulligans +++

FAQ
Ansob.
Follower of Malal

Post by Ansob. »

Last I heard in the rumours section, the new Empire book will not feature the Steam Tank. In other words, it becomes unofficial not too long away from now (and rightfully so).
General Kala wrote:
Cenyu wrote:Hail to the King, baby.
All my eloquence fails to express it as well as this.
Reinhardt
Trainee Warrior

Post by Reinhardt »

I hope they dont remove the steam tank from the game. :cry: I spent a lot of time and money on my von Zepple steam tank and I want to use it. With a little work on how it takes damage it would no longer be a broken piece. With the point cost of Knights rumored to be going up, as well as a change in the Hellblaster rules, Games Workshop needs hook the empire up with something.

Long reign Karl Franz
Kreoss
Noble

Post by Kreoss »

Hmm, I was actually looking forward specifically to fielding a Steam Tank when I finally get around to making my Empire army.

I never saw it being terribly overpowered.
Peteratwar
Trainee Warrior

Post by Peteratwar »

Certainly not heard any rumour that the ST is going, that was wishful thinking I suspect!!!

It may well be toned down somewhat.

However I have never had any problems with dealing witrh it.
Rasputinii
M-A-D

Post by Rasputinii »

Latest I heard is that it stays and gets a proper statline rather then hull points, although it does have steam points still....

Ras
Pleased to be back
Tastyfish
Arch-deviant of the Cult of Pleasure

Post by Tastyfish »

Yeah, I heard it was in as well, but with something closer to chariot stats than the wierd thing it is now.
Want to write background or fluff for the Herald? PM me
Ant
Lord of the Venom Sword

Post by Ant »

A little bird told me it's going to be T8 with a pretty large number of wounds...
Ash010110 wrote: I completely agree with Ant (Reynolds, I presume?).

(Please note, I am NOT Anthony Reynolds)
Prince of arnheim
Renegade Reaver

Post by Prince of arnheim »

I doubt they will get rid of one of the most loved models in the game!

I too have heard it is getting a stat line like a mortal creature.

I also heard it will have some fancy new gadjets and upgrades to customise it!
Fleshcollector
Noble

Post by Fleshcollector »

As an opponent to the Stank, I hope that they don't get rid of it because its cool and unique and alot of people like to use it. I do however hope that wounding it gets changed because I've seen how it can be virtually invulnerable against so many lists. To loose it would be a real shame.
Excuse me. I've come to harvest your flesh.
Lordsaradain
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lordsaradain »

I heard back at warseer that it is T6, W10.
Click here to find out how to convert cooler and cheaper models!
(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < ) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!
Rasputinii
M-A-D

Post by Rasputinii »

T8 ! Dear God thats tough. So that will only be empire and Dwarves kiling it then :twisted: Or pit of Shades. Or my Giant, with his Cow Flail :)
Pleased to be back
Fleshcollector
Noble

Post by Fleshcollector »

T8 is tough but not too tough. Sheer volume of shooting attacks can at least do something to it by rolling 6's to wound, without the legendary Stank being too vulnerable.

That would be easier than it is now since without the GoP Dark elves can't touch it in a meaningful way.
Excuse me. I've come to harvest your flesh.
Ant
Lord of the Venom Sword

Post by Ant »

Sheer volume of shooting attacks can at least do something to it by rolling 6's to wound, without the legendary Stank being too vulnerable.

You need to be S5 before you can hurt T8 matey.
Ash010110 wrote: I completely agree with Ant (Reynolds, I presume?).

(Please note, I am NOT Anthony Reynolds)
Reinhardt
Trainee Warrior

Post by Reinhardt »

T8 would be nice. I feel T6 is too weak, come on its a TANK!
Druchiishootlord
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Druchiishootlord »

T8 seems a bit harsh...but in all honesty i think that a nice T 7 and 8+ wounds would serve it well. T7 isn't exactly easy to wound. Also packing 8+ wounds...it will survive a lot of the game esp if it remains unbreakable(which in all honesty i think it should). I just don't like the fact that it basically plays on a different system than from 6th...and 7th until it gets released. Once if falls more into the the game system itself i won't have any problem punching a few holes in it with RBTs and other such goodies.
"Like never before will the weaker race of men tremble before our might."

Lord Yeurl to his captain before a battle in the Old World.

R4V3N wrote:do not question eldacar.

his word is law.
Tege
Executioner

Post by Tege »

T8 would be nice. I feel T6 is too weak, come on its a TANK!

If we are looking realistic at this, this thing cant even move on a paved road properly, not to mention a battlefield. BUT this is a fantasy game and we are not thinking this to be too realistic, so T6 is OK, gamewise is most important when making the rules for stuff, not relism
Druchiishootlord
Malekith's Best Friend

i think T6 is a bit weak. I don't think that even the strongest of characters should be able to wound this thing on a 3+ unless magically enhanced. T7 would make it so that most regular troops can't wound it at all and those stronger than average ones have an outside chance of scratching it. Characters, well S7 is good and should be able to wound it. S6, like most characters are only capable of, seems right to need to put a little effort into wounding it. With 8+ wounds(like i think it should) the Stank will still be able to make it through nearly all battles. That's not taking much into account AS.

i think it is highly possible to make the beast less of a freakshow and make it something that people don't dread playing.

his word is law.
Ostron
Assassin

Post by Ostron »

according to some of the rumors that have been flying around on the Warhammer-Empire forum (some supposedly from sources that have seen the book), the STank does still exist, and it has 10 wounds, but it has a normal stat line. It still uses steam points to move, but no one's sure how that's going to work if it doesn't have hull points (maybe if steam used + D6 > wounds it malfunctions - purely my guess based on nothing at all). Actually moving functions similar to a chariot, including impact hits. Difficult terrain may be no-go still, however.

Another widespread rumor however is that the multiple configs are out; the only version you can get is the Cannon + Steam gun variety, which means a lot of people probably aren't going to take it unless the cost drops.
Reinhardt
Trainee Warrior

Post by Reinhardt »

If we are looking realistic at this, this thing cant even move on a paved road properly, not to mention a battlefield. BUT this is a fantasy game and we are not thinking this to be too realistic, so T6 is OK, gamewise is most important when making the rules for stuff, not relism

Im not looking for realistic, but any unit with gretweapons that can wound the tank on a 5+, or a unit of knights that can wound it on a 4+ on the charge would be broken and make the tank not worth its points.

I would also be disapointed if the cannon + steam gun combo was the only possible version. My fighting platform looks so good on top of it :D

Druchiishootlord
Malekith's Best Friend

well if you're talking 8-10 wounds and a very decent armor save, i'm thinking a non negatable 1+ seems very right, the points would be more than justified. you're looking at T7 and W10...that's formidable enough as it is. that's not looking at AS, impact hits, it's shooting, or anything else that it can do. it's just a syndrome that we all go through when we want to see something that worked so well for us get better and not get worse even though it's quite powerful now.

i think the STank has potential be very powerful and very balanced but if the empire players want it to stay anything like it is now i'll continue to walk away from games that include it.

his word is law.
Slerac fellblade
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Slerac fellblade »

I hope these rumors are true I would love to see a 10 wound toughness 8 monster of a doomy tank. But honestly the hull points were not that bad. It represented the sheep amount of metal that had to come off that sucker before you could dabilitate it. Consider the metal on it is as thick as some modern bunkers. You can't hit that with an arrow and expect to do something even if the arrow is as long as a man's arm and just as thick. You got to whittle away at it break away the ablative armour with constant beating.

Than again I am an Empire player and I defend my steam tank to the death even though I do not use it.
Ian: We are trying to help as many starving children as possible
Me: Wait a day and there will be less of them
Reinhardt
Trainee Warrior

Post by Reinhardt »

well if you're talking 8-10 wounds and a very decent armor save, i'm thinking a non negatable 1+ seems very right, the points would be more than justified. you're looking at T7 and W10...that's formidable enough as it is.

I did not even consider the tank having an armor save in the new edition. That would Justify it having a T6 or 7. Whatever they do with it I hope it balances the tank to the point that Empire Generals will still want to field it, and others won't feel like its broken. Under the current rules i can see why a player would walk away for a game with the Steam Tank, so hopefully they will fix it. The tank is a beautiful model and a great centerpiece to an Empire army, as well as representing one of the coolest aspects of the Empire: the technology.

Freelancer
Trainee Warrior

Post by Freelancer »

I can see it being T7 W8 and AS +1 that is still a pretty tough nut to crack, I used to play against one of these guys on a regular basis, and hated it. The only thing that could put a dent in that sucker was the GoP.