Worst units in the game?

For discussion about all the lesser races of Warhammer. Talk about armies, tactics and lists to take on the Druchii here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Orteo
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Orteo »

I can't believe no one has mentioned Orc Error Boys. Not as bad as the skink cohort, but still completely useless.

Tomb King light cavalry are pretty crap too. Can't kill anything with shooting, can't make use of the marching and shooting or rallying and shooting rules. They can't kill anything in combat either, don't get ranks, and are too expensive to outnumber most things. Definitely the worst fast cav in the game.
We've all begun to die, and don't know what to do.
Since it hurts to pray to God, when God is dying too.
Takes strength to laugh, when you start to drown.
And we dance while the sky crashes down.

-Jason Webley
Thefanaticking
Cold One Knight

Post by Thefanaticking »

Took a look at the skink cohort in Warhammer Armies: Lizardmen.

I am forced to agree with Vorchild. Cohorts are absolutely useless and any one who uses them should be shot on sight. :shock:
Grogsnotpowwabomba
The Aspect of Murder
The Aspect of Murder

Post by Grogsnotpowwabomba »

Interestingly, I find just about every unit mentioned to be useful. Especially Men at Arms! I have seen Men at Arms used to amazing effect by Ash in the past. As a Druchii I have always wished for a true cannon fodder unit (aka slaves) like the Bretonnians have. Dire Wolves as well are an extremely useful unit in the VC army, and have won me more than a few games in the past. And Harpies. My god they are useful! And last but not least, Grave Guard??? Are you #*$#ing kidding me? They are a badass unit for a reasonable cost, that give any character fits. But I digress...

I would say the worst unit in the game from my experience is either the Lothern Sea Guard or Orc Arrer Boyz. But due to cost considerations, I think Lothern Sea Guard win out as most useless unit.
3 bots slain in Khaine's name.
Hruggek
Assassin

Post by Hruggek »

Orteo wrote:I can't believe no one has mentioned Orc Error Boys. Not as bad as the skink cohort, but still completely useless.

They are bad considering what else can you buy for the cost of the minimum sized Arrer Boyz unit but I dont think they are THAT crap unit that they would be enroled as completely useless unit.
They can hold quorter, shoot with BS 3 (not that bad), and still have Chappas and T4. Not the worst unit by a longshot, at least by my standards.

Skink Cohort - yeah, that is one crappy unit.
Fluff is cool, fluff is funny, fluff is nice. But fluff will put no dinner on your plate!
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

Dire wolves. I mean there fast cav that only move 8 once their away from their general! Men can match them when they march! also goblin archers, they do nothing.
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Arch Deacon of the RPG forum
Gentleman of Moderation
Thefanaticking
Cold One Knight

Post by Thefanaticking »

Dire wolves are awesome if you get some movement spells off on them
"As you know, you have to go to war with the Army you have, not the Army you want." - Donald Rumsfeld
Hruggek
Assassin

Post by Hruggek »

Drainial Shadowhart wrote:Dire wolves. I mean there fast cav that only move 8 once their away from their general! Men can match them when they march! also goblin archers, they do nothing.

Dire Wolves have M9. ;)
Fluff is cool, fluff is funny, fluff is nice. But fluff will put no dinner on your plate!
Alex c
Resident Beastmaster

Post by Alex c »

Undead Swarms. They simply cannot do the job that Swarms are used for. I cannot imagine taking them ever (if I had an undead army!).

Most useless in any of my armies? Probably Nurglings, for the above reasons, closely followed by Shades.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge"
- Albert Einstein.
Bonemagus
Cold One Knight

Post by Bonemagus »

danceman wrote:
Bonemagus wrote:Grave Guard from Vampire Counts for largly the same reasons everyone else listed the Black Guard and Pheonix Guard.

how you figure? GG cost about 3-4 points less than PG/BG but has higher toughness and strength... and better save and cause fear.... and are "unbreakble"... and oh yeah they have killing blow too.
I fail to see your reasoning :?

The reason PG and BG are considered to crappy is cause they are fragile, cost ALOT and arent really that great. GG are none of these things(hell they are only 2 points more than a fully geared skeleton).

I think we safely can say that general idea is that the PG is the worst unit in the game :P

Because in the context of the army they are more than twice as much as a zombie, you can't raise new ones, and its more effective to spend the points on other units because they really pay for themselves tatically compared to virtually any other unit in the army.
Thefanaticking
Cold One Knight

Post by Thefanaticking »

All swarms crumble now so they all are bad. Nurglings at least have a ward save. Also Tomb Swarms and Spirit Hosts are not as bad now as they always crumbled and nowthey are even with all other swarms.
Alex c
Resident Beastmaster

Post by Alex c »

thefanaticking wrote:All swarms crumble now so they all are bad. Nurglings at least have a ward save. Also Tomb Swarms and Spirit Hosts are not as bad now as they always crumbled and nowthey are even with all other swarms.

Sad news indeed. Have they got any use now then? I'm yet to pick up my copy of 7th.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge"
- Albert Einstein.
Tokijin
Trainee Warrior

Post by Tokijin »

thefanaticking wrote:All swarms crumble now so they all are bad. Nurglings at least have a ward save. Also Tomb Swarms and Spirit Hosts are not as bad now as they always crumbled and nowthey are even with all other swarms.
Actually, the Daemonic and Undead rules supercede the rules for regular swarms. Either that, or my comprehension has gone down the toilet in the last two weeks.
Zakath the slaughterer
Master of Puppets

Post by Zakath the slaughterer »

I was too going to say Skink Cohorts but Vorchild beat me to it with his reasonings.. They really are rather useless and they can do nothing which can't be done by the very same list 4 times better :) They are the ultimate, worst ever unit in the whole wide history of the whole wide game system history. Even Phoenix Guard can beat them and that's saying something!!!

@Tokijin: Yes, the Undead and Daemnic rules supercede the normal ones but since they are the same (with Swarms) it doesn't matter and voilá! Undead Swarms did get a boost ;)
Rasputinii
M-A-D

Post by Rasputinii »

Vorch: I almost love Cohorts. M6 with ranks! Yes please, I'll have 100000000! Maybe a little overcosted, but I would take 'em if I did Lizards!

Phenoix guard are a wee bit crap, so are the new snotling swarms (Stubborn on 4 any one!). Dark Riders are fairly crap, as are Exalted Daemons in the regular chaos list. Ummm, Skeleton Light Horsemen are really rubbish (just to annoy Ant ;)). Eternal kindred highborns are rubbish as are skaven weapons teams (now).

However ultimately the Worst Unit in the game is Chaos Warriors. Can't believe no one has mentioned them thus far. Chaos warriors are really super crap. I would rather have Phenoix guard, simply because they are M5 and LD9. I can't think of any reason why I would take Chaos Warriors in any army, and I always appauled by the number of people who do take them...

Ras
Pleased to be back
Jrasrai
Trainee Warrior

Post by Jrasrai »

isnt an undead swarm going to suffer the same effects as a regular swarm now? well it will cause fear and all that jaz but isnt the combat res stuff the same?
Gnosis
Hard, but Fair

Post by Gnosis »

Orc Arrer Boyz are rather useless as well.
Count them:

Painted in 2013: 500
Painted in 2014: 600
Painted in 2015: 854
Rasputinii
M-A-D

Post by Rasputinii »

Orc Arrer boyz are fine, and they go down to 6pts in a few weeks as well, so they can't go on the list, no way.
Pleased to be back
Puritanicsin
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Puritanicsin »

Rasputin: Dark Riders? That is an interesting choice. 90 points for M9 elves with spears? They can take out war machines, gang up on harder missile units, break ranks, redirect, marchblock...what is it that you don't like about them? Maybe you've explained yourself elsewhere without my knowing so.
Loki
Brolock
Brolock

Post by Loki »

@Puritanicsin: I'll just give Ras a break here from having to explain things and give you this link. It should explain everything for you.

I think I would just have to agree with most of the other people. Pheonix Guard and Skink cohorts. Though, I might say skeletons are crap, if you had to actually pay for them...
+++ Team Mulligans +++

FAQ
Evilzealot
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Evilzealot »

As far as the Chaos list goes, I have to agree that CW are junk. Cant think of a good time to take them instead of a beastherd or knights, especially now that they must rank 5 wide for bonuses.

Arrer Boyz cant be too bad with the new book either. 60 pts still buys a small archer unit that can defend itself against normal archer-hunters. In a pinch they could flank you too!

I was more thinking of units that are junk when compared to the rest of the list. Something that never really fits in with how the army plays, etc. Like archers in an empire army.
Weirdmaster
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Weirdmaster »

Handmaidens of the Everqueen look to be mighty awful to my view. 300 points for a unit of only ten models (champion, musician, and standard bearer included) and extra Handmaidens costing 20 points each :shock:

Don't believe me? Here: http://us.games-workshop.com/games/warh ... maiden.htm
I think they make Black Guard a bargain :D
Weird cause I wanna be
Nehemiah
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Nehemiah »

haha imma have to go with lotheren sea gaurd ... for sixteen points a model! what a waste :P
- Nehemiah
Pmpn8ez
Evil Vampire Lord Fluffy

Post by Pmpn8ez »

At least the LSG have a list to redeem their incompetence with a set of ridiculous rules that make them difficult, if at all possible, to beat... that would leave Chosen Chaos Warriors of Khorne... 20+ points per model, with an expensive mark and probably even more expensive command, for a unit that even Dwarfs can avoid all game? Not for me, no.
"We are the most civilized race in the world. We have more exquisite ways to kill than any other." -Lord Vraneth the Cruel, master of Har Ganeth

«The wonder has a name: pmpn8ez.»
Weirdmaster
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Weirdmaster »

One thing I find a little odd is that that have been virtually no Dwarf or Asrai units mentioned so far.

Also, is there a thread discussing the best units in the game? If so, could someone PM me with a link to it? I'd be much obliged ;)
Weird cause I wanna be
Tenebrae
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Tenebrae »

Drainial Shadowhart wrote:Dire wolves. I mean there fast cav that only move 8 once their away from their general! Men can match them when they march!

But they are still fast cav, S4 on the charge, US2 fearcausing, at (I think is was) 10 points a piece.
Nowhere near the worst.