back to ogres for tourney season-but 2250 now?

For discussion about all the lesser races of Warhammer. Talk about armies, tactics and lists to take on the Druchii here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Thanatos
Assassin

back to ogres for tourney season-but 2250 now?

Post by Thanatos »

So I've heard alot of rumors that US east coast tournies are going to be 2250-2.5k now. I've also become disenchanted with my wood elves, they're just not smashy enough for my palate. Here's my list, realize I took this to chicago's GT this year and got 55th:

Tyrant, Longstrider big name, Great Weapon, Heavy armour, Bullgut, Wyrdstone Necklace, luck gnoblar: 300

Butcher, 2 scrolls: 180

Butcher, Hellheart: 180

3 Ironguts: 144

3 Ironguts: 144

3 Ogre Bulls, add. handweapon, Musician: 127

3 Ogre Bulls, add. handweapon, Musician: 127

20 Gnoblars: 40

8 trappers: 48

1 scraplauncher: 165

1 scraplauncher: 165

Thunderlord on Bull Rhinox, Heavy Armour, ironfist: 185

Thunderlord on Bull Rhinox, Heavy Armour, ironfist: 185

1990 points
6 pd, 4 dsp + hellheart + 2 scrolls
47 models

Recently I switched out bullgut and the great weapon for tenderizer on the tyrant, as it just works better for fighting dragons/deamons/horribleness. So what should I add for 2250 or 2.5k, I already have most of the characters/smasher units in place. I wast thinking a unit of 4 Ironguts along with a bruiser bsb? Anything else?
That which is dead cannot die, therefore I am immortal.
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

I would probably add a couple units of leadbealchers. to help protect your flanks. They are also really nasty against large monsters without an armor save--things like Manticores and Griffons.

I also think you should change something -- I would try to get more offense out of your magic phase instead of worrying so much about magic defense. Instead of taking the Hellheart, I would take the Bangstick and a scroll on one Butcher and the Skullmantle and a scroll on the other.
Truly These are the End Times ...
Comaster
Dark Rider

Post by Comaster »

I guess that the butchers point is really important, an improvement in they're equipment would be cool. As for the rest of the army looks ok but would fit in some units of yhettes. You have the points to field at least one unit. Remove the upgrade of the thunderlord and then see what comes in.

My regards to all Generals!!!
"We shall strike down our foe with sharp steel and cold hearts. The weak die so that the strong prevail and none shall be spared. Then and only then will our enemies know the true meaning of fear."

Malekith, the Witch King of Naggaroth
Thanatos
Assassin

Post by Thanatos »

@ dyvim- If I'm going offensive with magic, should I take a 3rd butcher? I mean I need hellheart, its the only thing that can stop an 11+ pd magic phase from ripping my army apart for a turn. Where I'm from, magic tends to run strong and people go with it alot. I know my one friend is definitely doing the 18pd tzeentch list next season, and another will undoubtedly be doing a 11-12 pd orc and gobbo list. I'm not really worried about tzeentch's lore, but the waaagh!s are just too bad to let happen. I like bangstick, but sub 3k ogres have no way of dominating the magic phase in the tournament scene. You just have to stop what's coming at you as best as possible until you get in there to crack some skull. If I take 3 butchers I will be able to have a hand up on some armies, but against most it'll just be more scrollage.

Also, you guys both mentioned special units. Unfortunately I can't take any more bc the scrappies each take up one and the rhinox each take up one. Also, I've had too many bad experiences with leadbelchers and yhettis dying to weak shooting because they lack armor. rhinox and scraplaunchers have decent armor, better toughness, and the major psychological impact of "I don't want that to hit me." I'd take out a rhinox, but only if I could be garunteed that the yhetis would be survivable, which at T4 with no armor, they aren't. They just need thick skin(5+), then they'd be worth it.
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

I think a third Butcher would be a good idea. It's true that Ogres can't dominate the magic phase like some others, but they can still be nasty since they have a magic missile with no armor save and the buffs they can throw onto their units are so good -- and everything casts on a 3+ !!! Plus, Ogre mages aren't very susceptible to mage-hunting since they are Ogres after all. I say go for it.

If your play environment says keep the Hellheart, then you probably should. I don't face a lot of really heavy-magic armies, but if you do, keep it.
Silverwarlock
Highborn

Post by Silverwarlock »

you need to add points, I think the third butcher is the way to go, give him the bangstick and you have a magic phase like a TK (with 6-7 spells getting off a turn)

I prefer the tenderiser as well

I would also suggest adding another unit of ogres, guts if possible but I dont know how the point count works out (also depends on the points of the tourny)
Thanatos
Assassin

Post by Thanatos »

well for an extra 260 points I could get a butcher with the bangstick and a scroll for 180, and then take musicians on my ironguts making them ld 9 to rally. with the points after that I could get another unit of 20 gnoblars for 40 so that could fill it out. Maybe make the trappers a little bigger so they don't bolt after 2 casualties.
Silverwarlock
Highborn

Post by Silverwarlock »

that sounds like a very good plan

it boosts your magic defence significantly, gives you an extra unit and gets the bellowers which are necessary

it also gives you serious magic offence
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

I like your plan.