Best Units in the Game

For discussion about all the lesser races of Warhammer. Talk about armies, tactics and lists to take on the Druchii here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Weirdmaster
Slave (off the Altar)

Best Units in the Game

Post by Weirdmaster »

Simply put: What are the best units in the game? In terms of points, stats, and/or special rules/abilities, etc.

For me, I think Executioners are up there. 5+ Save, Killing Blow, and Great Weapons (+2 strength) and 11 points apiece. And if given the Banner of Murder, can increase their charge distance a further six inches (if the dice gods so decree, that is :roll: ).
Weird cause I wanna be
Xerasi
Highborn

Post by Xerasi »

Druids are very very cheap for what they can do... Stats wise I actually do not know (if chars allowed a exaulted slannesh sorc with the sword of daemon or what ever its called... Yay)

Plaugebearers are also good, 4T, 5+ ward, 4 ws+-1 for enemy to hit them... top up with auto hitting, they are a nice unit despite their points...

Night gobbos might also find a way into the list, just because i hate fanatics...

But the best unit is in my opinion knights of bretonia. They only need 3 knights to make a rank, they can protect a sorc with special rules, and they strike with all bar 2 or 3 models on a charge. I would like to se them get nerfed a bit in 7th ed. Maybe 4 knights a rank would solve it, still allowing them being better at "knighting" but not so powerful compared to others...

Hmm more units? U yeah, SPAWN OWNAGE... spawns of slannesh simply rock... Imho they are prob the best buy in the game... it might just be for me, but I tend to always roll at least what I need with them... (and if you do, they are evil and crazy)
DoW 2/2.25k W-L-D: 22 - 4 - 3
Prince of arnheim
Renegade Reaver

Post by Prince of arnheim »

Dryads are my new favourite. They are tough with T4 2 ST4 Attacks and a Ward Save!!! PLus They are real hard to shoot!! And they cause fear!! Best unit for sure!
Thisisntnotjt
Cold One Knight

Post by Thisisntnotjt »

Salamanders: 3 wound skirmishers with an artillary dice coming out nearly every turn, plus they can move and shoot.
meh...
Black stride
Executioner

Post by Black stride »

Questing knights are simply the best. Even if you get to charge them they aren`t disabled like other knights.
And I hate them because my dark riders with noble can`t do anything about them.
So they are #1
We shall strike down our foes with sharp steel and cold hearts. The weak die so that the strong prevail and none shall be spared. Then and only then will our enemies know the true meaning of fear.
Gnosis
Hard, but Fair

Post by Gnosis »

Black stride wrote:Questing knights are simply the best. Even if you get to charge them they aren`t disabled like other knights.
And I hate them because my dark riders with noble can`t do anything about them.
So they are #1

Naah, they've been nerfed in 7th.

Basic Dwarf Warriors would get my vote. Rock hard and very customisable. As Prince of Arnheim said, Dryads are pretty much indispensible in a regular WE list as well.

I've always liked Pistoliers as well.
Count them:

Painted in 2013: 500
Painted in 2014: 600
Painted in 2015: 854
Tizio
Executioner

Post by Tizio »

yes,
salamander hunting pack.
thry are strong, couse fear and have an amazing range weapon. tree of them fit in a rare choise. even consider the lack of war machine lizards have, salamanders are tha bane of druchii and are a very good unit.
"Trust me" he sneered.

The sea had a pearly reflection on his face. he wrapped himself in a long dark cloak.

And a pungent smell came up from the sharp reef.
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

Guess what I'm going to say.

Take a wild guess.

Yes...go on...

That's right.

Gnoblars!

No, not really. Chosen Knights of Khorne are where it's at. While hideously expensive, they have no equal (I mock grail knights). Awesome on the charge and lethal on the defensive, there are few situations they cannot dig themselves out of.

You just have to control their frenzy a bit, and then you devastate the opposition.

They put human heroes in the shade, too. Call yourself a hero, do you? :lol:

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Pmpn8ez
Evil Vampire Lord Fluffy

Post by Pmpn8ez »

As expensive as it is, the STank is one of the strongest models you can put on the table. It's nigh impenetrable to most attacks and even very strong units like dragons will take a while with it. That, and it has the option for artillery guns like a miniature cannon or helblaster, which it can fire whilst grinding troops in combat, or just truck right through them. For all the trouble to take one down, you still only net 300 points for the basic variant. There's no real downside to it, except that you can only take 1 per 2000 points.
Last edited by Pmpn8ez on Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We are the most civilized race in the world. We have more exquisite ways to kill than any other." -Lord Vraneth the Cruel, master of Har Ganeth

«The wonder has a name: pmpn8ez.»
Silverwarlock
Highborn

Post by Silverwarlock »

well rork ... pull them out of a flanc charge by any r&f unit ... even with the frenzied horses they will go down to 150 points of clan rats and some cheap bait unit

as for best units ...

I would be tempted to agree with the basic dwarf ... they rule

I would add skaven slaves which rock (S3 T3 Ld 10 for 2 points anyone? ) and clan rats (S3 T3 4+save Ld 10 for 5 points)

dryads are great as well though more expensive than the above, they do have some great advantages (though their lack of ranks makes them have trouble on r&f, especially the r&f I just stated above because of the numbers it comes in :D)
Ansob.
Follower of Malal

Post by Ansob. »

Rork wrote:Gnoblars!

No, not really.

...you know gnoblars are extremely good, right?

That said, executioners suck (because all heavy infantry sucks in WFB). Harpies are good, but I'd put my money on Empire pistoliers.
General Kala wrote:
Cenyu wrote:Hail to the King, baby.
All my eloquence fails to express it as well as this.
Duke of swords
Black Guard

Post by Duke of swords »

Don't laugh at gnoblars. With the new rules for shooting large targets giants, manticores, etc. need to stay the hell away from gnoblars...

25 standard gnoblars can move and shoot at a giant and get 50 shots hitting on 4s, wounding on 6s..... Good thing dragons are immune.

Even a stand and shoot is scary with 25 shoots hitting on 4s....

I think pistoliers are the bomb, especially now that they can shoot after a rally.

Korne knights are pretty good....

The steam tank is overly good.

Leto

DoS
Druchiishootlord
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Druchiishootlord »

With the new rules i'd no longer put my money on the pistoliers because of the new rules with the brace of pistols. now granted they can still use them without getting into combat like they could...but as for being able to contend with other light cavalry and soft skirmishers in combat they aren't so good. But that's just a personal view and i'm not sure if others share it. In other ways they have improved, like the new vol. flee and be able to shoot when they rally next turn.

however in my eyes one of the best units in the game would have to be Dwarf Hammerers now. for a mere 13 pts(the cost after buying a shield), and if joined by a lord, they are stubborn and immune to fear and terror, as well being able to take a magic banner that could assist in keeping them alive from shooting, make sure that no matter what for one round, or two, they will stick where are no matter what, slow the opponent on the charge, have a kind of magical resistence, ect. When it comes to point cost compared to effectiveness the new and improved Hammerers are definitely at the top. Their only real negative is that they are only M3. Even if you don't give them a lord you can give them a banner that makes them immune to the fear and terror plus still have points for another cheapish rune. If joined by a thane at this point they remain just as hard as the unit with the lord especially if that thane is the infamous Thane of Pain.
Last edited by Druchiishootlord on Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Like never before will the weaker race of men tremble before our might."

Lord Yeurl to his captain before a battle in the Old World.

R4V3N wrote:do not question eldacar.

his word is law.
Kida
Undercover Asrai

Post by Kida »

My top 5:

5. Fiend of Slaanesh
4. Ghouls
3. Great Eagle
2. Peg Knights
1. Sallies

my Last.fm page in case anyone is interested...
Surayon
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Surayon »

Ratling guns - any unit where I know, I KNOW I should stop rolling dice, but I just can't bring myself to do it, despite the increasing odds of killing myself, just deserves to be the best unit ever :D
Druchiishootlord
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Druchiishootlord »

*chuckles to self* well yeah for shear laughter yeah skaven have some of the best units...however with skaven weapon teams no longer getting to hide....they are toast before they can even do anything anymore. *thumbs up* just the way it always should have been.
"Like never before will the weaker race of men tremble before our might."

Lord Yeurl to his captain before a battle in the Old World.

R4V3N wrote:do not question eldacar.

his word is law.
Artemis entreri
Shade

Post by Artemis entreri »

Chosen Chaos Knights are up there for sure. They may be expensive, but man can they do their job. Another unit i would deffinatly agree with are the dwarven warriors OR hammerer's. Infact with the update the dwarves got i now fear them that much more. You'll see less and less of the dwarven gunline now that they're troops have gotten so amazing.
"I learned at a very young age that I cannot trust in or count on anyone but myself. To do so invites deceit and despair and opens a vulnerability that can be exploited. To do so is a weakness."—Entreri
Silverwarlock
Highborn

Post by Silverwarlock »

actually now that I think about it my WLC has one hell of a kill count, and all good stuff

and yes, hammerers rock
Hyetemplar
Noble

Post by Hyetemplar »

heres one no one named and its bretonnian (of course): peasant bowmen

7 points a model for a unit of skirmishers with BS3 and longbows!?!

full command costs only 20 points and no max size to unit

20/30 longbowmen with 360 degree line of sight!

on top of that for 5 points you can make thier shots flaming
One by one the penguins steal my sanity.
Falahk
Night Goblin

Post by Falahk »

Clan rats, pegasus knights, dragons and great eagles are all on my top list
SWFBR- Swedish Warhammer Tournament Calendar, Ranking and Forum
Obsidianichor
Cold One Knight

Post by Obsidianichor »

Dark Riders.

Core fast cav. 'nough said.
-ObsidianIchor

Armies:
Druchii: 4000+
DIY Marines: 4000+
Tyranids: 6000+
Thefanaticking
Cold One Knight

Post by Thefanaticking »

Ogre Leadbelchers, is there any thing these guys can't do?!?

Also, Dryads, core choice, cost as much as a glade guard archer, skirmish, ward save, S & T 4 ... need I say more.

Wild Riders are pretty sick too.
"As you know, you have to go to war with the Army you have, not the Army you want." - Donald Rumsfeld
Evilzealot
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Evilzealot »

Dryads
Chaos Knights of Khorne (not chosen)
Pegasus Knights
Skaven Slaves
Salamanders
Stank
Great Eagles

All of these units offer some good bang, in the terms of cheap static CR, heavy hitting, or general versitility. None of the units yield many VPs, or require command. They all resist damage well, and are well known as the problem unit of their army.
Gnosis
Hard, but Fair

Post by Gnosis »

SilverWarlock wrote:I would add skaven slaves which rock (S3 T3 Ld 10 for 2 points anyone? ) and clan rats (S3 T3 4+save Ld 10 for 5 points)

Then again, the Skaven strength in numbers rule is broken beyond belief.
Count them:

Painted in 2013: 500
Painted in 2014: 600
Painted in 2015: 854
Elvenmaster
Corsair

Post by Elvenmaster »

Ever heard of a teeeman?
You took my heart
Deceived me right from the start
You showed me dreams
I wished they would turn into real