ogres!

For discussion about all the lesser races of Warhammer. Talk about armies, tactics and lists to take on the Druchii here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Tykonda
Corsair

ogres!

Post by Tykonda »

I really dont see how ogres can move so far, i mean seriously their so fat, and what exactly is this bull charge thing?
The liger
Malekith's Pet Cat

Post by The liger »

Well that girth apparently is a ring of stomach muscle, so actually they're probably very muscly - but I agree with you that they'd be heavy. Then again, look at the models, they seem to be packed full of muscle, and so I'd imagine that they'd have no more trouble carrying around all of their body-weight than we do carrying around ours.

And then of course, the main argument I guess is that they've got long legs. I'd imagine that they could get along at an average pace for them, and due to their long leg this is multiplied into a fast pace for a human. I'd say that M6 is probably accurate, though I can't remember what Minotaurs have off the top of my head - is it 5? Anyway, Kroxigors also have M6, and Ogres and Kroxies have quite a bit in common, so I think it fits.

Bull charge is a special rule that OK Ogres get, which represents the sheer force behind a tonne of muscle ramming into a battleline. It's basically additional impact hits that the Ogres get (not many, but a few) if they charge a certain distance. I personally think this is pretty good, and though fluffwise I guess perhaps it would also be fitting for other Ogre sized creatures to get it, it's quite a nice, fluffy rule (alas, not that good though, especially due to 7th ed's 5 model wide ranks) that gives the army a bit of flavour IMO.
"Purrrrr...."

Venkh wrote:I wish i had been told about the "A-Team effect" that druchii experience with their shooting.

i.e. move into position, huge ammounts of shooting, nobody gets killed.
Voodoomaster
Lord General Of Khaine

Post by Voodoomaster »

This doesn't really belong in the ideas forum, i am moving it to Warhammer Fantasy discussion.

But Liger has it covered in reason why, it is because they are alot bigger than a normal unit model. Minotaurs also have Movement 6.

VM
"For every victory there is a defeat, for every defeat there is a victory. My victory, my defeat are for all to see..."
Khael Vraneth, Lord-General of Khaine.
Darthwald
Warrior

Post by Darthwald »

Absolutaly correct. The distance for a bul charge is 6 inches and they wack you with their enourmous girth so thats why other creatures of their size don't get it. Also the bul charges strength increases from the charges base strength by 1 for each model behind it this is due too the others runing into the front ones. Example:
bulls charge with basic S4 they have 2 ranks behind the first rank so they get plus 2 strength for the ranks wich give them each 1 impact hit of S6.
Druchiishootlord
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Druchiishootlord »

if you look in the OK book you'll find that it specifically says that all ogres are basically a mass of muscle and because their bodies are so huge, and esp the heart and lungs, that they have to eat so much. but if your legs had to carry around such a mass as an ogre does you'll find that your legs would be immensely powerful...in part to play thanks to the higher speed.
"Like never before will the weaker race of men tremble before our might."

Lord Yeurl to his captain before a battle in the Old World.

R4V3N wrote:do not question eldacar.

his word is law.
Hali
Grand Executioner

Post by Hali »

Okay, although the exact proportions won't be correct but think of it as Humans are to Dwarves. Dwarves are small and plod along compared to the humans increased size and long steps. So a human's 3 steps would average about 4-5 dwarf waddles.

I just see the Ogre's are toi Humans, as the Humans are to Dwarves. They're a hell of alot bigger, even if they are heavier set.
Demonclown
Corsair

Post by Demonclown »

well i play ogres and theyre rules are fine by my standards.i havent lost a game with em yet ...
"AVENGE THE FALLEN FATHERS,
STRIKE DOWN THOSE WHO BETRAYED US,
BRING DOWN THEIR WALLS AND BURN THEIR HOMES,
DRIVE THEM INTO THE SEA BRETHREN,
MALEKITH WILL KNOW HIS FOLLY,
I SHALL DEVOUR HIM, PIECE BY PIECE."
- Noble Gwydn Clorian of the Nos Draig
Druchiishootlord
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Druchiishootlord »

clown i think he means fluffwise why they can move so far...not rules wise.

hali i guess that's the best analogy that one can come up with. it seems to fit rather well.
"Like never before will the weaker race of men tremble before our might."

Lord Yeurl to his captain before a battle in the Old World.

R4V3N wrote:do not question eldacar.

his word is law.
Sbod
Executioner

Post by Sbod »

Also if you think about something like a rhino or an elephant, they're big but they can move fast when they need to. A rhino can probably move faster than a human could and yet we're tiny compared to all their weight.
A Day Without Sbod Is Like A Day Without Sunshine.
Furiouscado
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Furiouscado »

I think the reaosn why they can get away with a M6 is because when you think about it they're not in ranks like most units. They can just flat out run at the enemy without worrying about staying in formation. They just run as a group, some behind the other. When you get 20+ warriors with cumbersome spears all trying to run together you can only run so fast even if you are naturally faster than an ogre....that's why ogres/kroxies/etc get the better movement... that's what I think anyways.
Holt
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Holt »

Big legs=big steps=fast movement. Simple.
Want some tips on controlling those frenzied units? http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=71791&highlight=