cheapest army to begin with?

For discussion about all the lesser races of Warhammer. Talk about armies, tactics and lists to take on the Druchii here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Ming
Black Guard

cheapest army to begin with?

Post by Ming »

I'm talking an old friend of mine info Whfb. He has to choose an army to begin with, and money could be an issue. Which army is the less expensive in order to field approx. 1500 points? All I can think of is that all plastic armies should be cheaper, or that Island of blood should be a good start for HE. The best battalion boxes seems to be our own, Woc or Empire, even if 10 greatswords are quite useless without furter increase of models. I ask you fellow druchii to share your wisdom on the subject. Thanks.
... and Justice for all!!!

.... and enthusiast member of the league of extraordinary druchii gentlemen
Tyrannus deathbringer
Noble

Re: cheapest army to begin with?

Post by Tyrannus deathbringer »

I agree that armies with a lot of plastic model choices are likely to be the cheapest. And IoB plus lots of plastic kits makes me think of High Elves too. Alternatively you could go for an army that doesn't need a lot of individual models, like Ogres and WoC. I find the new monsters for Ogres and Chaos quite expensive though.

Why not make for a good old High Elf vs Dark Elf war? !lol!

(N.B. ebay is ideal for researching and buying plastic kits and parts).
"All who surrender will be enslaved; whoever does not surrender but opposes with struggle and dissension, shall be annihilated."
Helle
Executioner

Post by Helle »

I would suggest High Elves aswell. Two boxes of Island of Blood gives you quite some models to go with, even though he probably needs to add some core (prob. Archers). That way he also gets a rule book and some dice and templates. Afterwards he can sell the Skaven miniatures.

In my experience the Island of Blood box is a great way to start an army. Same is true for Skaven, even though there is some more additional investment needed.

An altertive would be buying an army off ebay. They sell for up to 30-40% retail price.
Meteor
Executioner

Post by Meteor »

Yeah pretty much find someone to split the IoB box with. You take one army, the other person takes the other one. That way you can spend money on two boxes of IoB and you'll end up with a pretty playable starting force for either race. Then pick up its armybook, play with what you've got a bit, and expand.
What's mine is mine, What's yours is mine.
Now that we understand each other, lets get down to business.

Jacks -Shade
- WS 5 - - S 3 - - T 2 - - D 6 - - I 5 -

Equipment
Short Sword, MC Long Sword*, Dagger, RxB & RHB [20/10] MC Shade Cloak, 4 Throwing Daggers, 3x Healing Vials, 451C, [3]Dark Venom, [4]Unseen Chains, Food, Dark Steed- Spike

Skills
Basic Stealth, Awareness, TWF, Suithenlu Khythan, Ride

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

*Magical properties possibly imbued
Atanatari165
Shade

Post by Atanatari165 »

Ogre Kingdoms is the best starter army by far. Cheapest tournament 2400 pt list, fewest models, easiest to play. No risk of constant losses making you bitter about your investment.
Ming
Black Guard

Post by Ming »

Thank you for your kind advice!
I'll report your suggestions to my friend, and let you know if he'll became one of our hated cousins or not!
... and Justice for all!!!

.... and enthusiast member of the league of extraordinary druchii gentlemen