Ras does something VERY different with Vampires!! (2250pts)

For discussion about all the lesser races of Warhammer. Talk about armies, tactics and lists to take on the Druchii here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Rasputinii
M-A-D

Ras does something VERY different with Vampires!! (2250pts)

Post by Rasputinii »

Hi all!

So, following on from some cross-site snooping I discovered a woody army comprised solely of Eternal guard. It was meant to be a massive Phalanx thingy. And I really liked it. And it got me thinking about massive units. I made a few lists. Made a Druchii one that was quite good, but then I said to myself. What infantry does no one want to engage in combat. And there was only one answer. Grave Guard. ‘Cos they are dead hard and have KB. So I knocked this ickle bit of fun together. Have a look. Explanation below.

I [Heart] Grave Guard V1.0

The Might

Vampire Count (Waking Death, SoM, Ring of the Night, Enchanted Shield, lvl1, Braded Horse)
+ 58 Grave Guard (Shields), FC – Warbanner

The Guard

White Lord (Sword of the Kings, HA, Sh, Barded Horse)
+ 28 Grave Guard (Shields), SM – Banner of the Barrows

The Hook

Vampire Thrall (Wolf Form, GW, Flayed Hauberk)
6 Black Knights (Barding)
8 Dire Wolves
8 Dire Wolves
6 Dire Wolves
5 Ghouls
5 Ghouls

2246pts in total
3 PD
3 DD
86 Grave Guard / 127 models in total

So its completely different to every other VC list about. Its got no magic, no zombies, no banshees no bats etc. It’s just got a massive amount of Grave Guard in two big units. Okay, one is a massive. Before you tell me I am a fool I need to explain the deployment, because its designed with a game plan that revolves around deployment.

The Littler unit of Grave Guard deploy in 15x2 with their Wight Lord. They then go right against one flank. Lets say the right flank. There might be an inch or so to their right, but basically they deploy against the right table edge and stick out 15” into the board. However some times I will deploy them about 8 wide, and then in turn 1 add a pair of ranks to go 15 wide. It all depends.

Then there is a little gap. And then the Massive unit of GG go down. They are deployed about 8 or maybe 9 wide and however millions deep. They are joined by the General, and the Thrall in the first turn. To there left go the nights and at least two, maybe three units of dogs and one or two units of the Ghouls. It does slightly depend. Against an army with things like terradons and such like the ghouls and the smaller unit of Dogs will all be deployed behind the army ready to intercept and destroy. I may also move the placement of ghouls over to the far right or the middle of the board depending on the terrain and threats. Similarly the smaller unit of Dogs can be deployed in numerous places to react to threats and possibly be more huntingy.

The Massive unit of GG move aggressively forward. The smaller unit of Grave Guard move between full speed and half speed. They are a guard or block after all. But a nasty one. The knights and main dog units move up the left flank. They are a simple and obvious pincer that will smash into the flank of anything that engages the front of the big Grave Guard unit, which has to be dealt with, or the enemy aren’t winning the game.

The Wolf Thrall is the Ace in the sleeve. He can sit at the corner of the Grave Guard unit with his S7 and 1+ save and simply make the unit more lethal in combat, so it can auto break enemy charges solo. However with his huge charge range he can also fly out of the unit to deal with the enemy on the left if they look like they are going to produce an attack that will punch through my left and envelop me. Similarly he can pop out the back of the unit to deal with threats that get behind me or he can go and support the other unit of Grave Guard. He is flexibility defined, and even if he never uses his wolf abilities he adds a huge amount by adding another 3 S7 attacks to that huge unit.

This really is an army that works as a whole. The cogs may be powerful, but it relies on interplay in order for the army to work well as a whole. It will be a challenge to play with, but also a real challenge to play against because it is so unorthodox and different both in terms of play style and in the sense of the typical VC list. I don’t think its overpowered. And it certainly can be beaten, but to do so the opponent really has to think about how my army works and how to bet it. If they just try and deal with it like any other army they have played against it will kick seven shades of blue in to them, ‘cos I do reckon its a bit of a tough nut.

You thoughts are as always welcome.

Ras
Pleased to be back
Tijminator
Beastmaster

Post by Tijminator »

That is something entirrely different indeed! :D

I really like the idea, I assume the White Lord is a Wight Lord?

This could either work very well, cutting down everything in it's path, or it could fail horribly. It really uses the semi-unbreakable ability of Vampire Counts, but on a different way. I think that versus armies like Empire, Skaven or anything like that it'll work nice, but versus armies with ways to take one unit out of the game (Slaaneshi armies and Druchii, with Titilating Delusions and Dominion) it could fail very badly. Regerdless, I like it very much. It's new, and it's cool. It's also very expensive though.. ;)

I'd love to hear how it did!

Tijminator
The Price of Power

Viva la Banana!

Cornixt wrote:Why would anybody stand to wipe? You're closing the one area you want to remain open!
Marauder mitch2
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Marauder mitch2 »

I thought there was a maximum size of Grave Guard which was 30?? Best to check the book mate.

All in all its a nice army. Could possibly have 5naked Black Knights to draw some fire power and help with machine killing and divertor??

Alsp howabout make the wight lord the BSB with and extra +1.

cheers rob
Comaster
Dark Rider

Post by Comaster »

Yep, despite being a cool idea Marauder Mitch2 is right. They are limited to 30 per unit. Guess you'll have to think about this again...

My regards to all Generals!!!
"We shall strike down our foe with sharp steel and cold hearts. The weak die so that the strong prevail and none shall be spared. Then and only then will our enemies know the true meaning of fear."

Malekith, the Witch King of Naggaroth
Rasputinii
M-A-D

Post by Rasputinii »

Oh.
Another ideas dies a rules related death. How very tedious indeed.

Oh well. Only lost a bit of time.
Pleased to be back
Kristo
Noble

Post by Kristo »

I have been studying VC a lost since most of my games are against them...My latest idea was a 2 blocks of GG with blood dragon ect...

Taking into account what you are posting here I was of this idea :

*Vampire Count:Von Crastein, Walking death, Aura of dark Majesty, Crown of the dammed, Great weapon, lvl2 (Von carstein Counts/Lords can't take armour except bone armour...only thrall can) 341 pts

*Vampire Thrall: Wolf Form, Great weapon, Flayed Hauberk 134 pts
*Whight Lord: Barned Horse, Sword of Kings, Enchanted shield, Ha 111pts
* Necromancer: 2x Dispel scroll, Horse 123 pts(just in order to keep him away when needed)

8 Ghouls 64 pts
8 Ghouls 64 pts
5 Wolves 50 pts
5 Wolves 50 pts
20 Zombies(Necromancer join them in the begining)120 pts

25 Grave guard(General's Bodyguard): Sh,Std(Banner of Doom), Champ, Mus 405 pts
25 Grave Guard(Whight Lord joins): Sh, std(Banner of barrows), Champ, Mus 400 pts
6 Black Knights: Std(War banner), Champ 207 pts

Banshee 90
Banshee 90

2249 pts
'And lo, he shall rule with a dark hand and his shadow shall touch uppon every land.'

Single combat I await
My shadow brings them fear
The spikes upon my chariot
Will grind them when they're near...