Shaggoth?

For discussion about all the lesser races of Warhammer. Talk about armies, tactics and lists to take on the Druchii here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

The_everchosen
Beastmaster
Location: Trying to think of something witty to put in this box

Shaggoth?

Post by The_everchosen »

I've been looking for a hard hitting model/unit to add to my chaos army, and guard a flank. I was looking at the shaggoth (nice model) but have only ever heard negative comments about it. What do any other chaos players think? ANy suggestions for something to take instead?

Thanks

p.s. I don't like giants!
History will be kind to me for I intend to write it - Winston Churchill
Druchii1988
Beastmaster

Post by Druchii1988 »

I have only been playing Beastmen for a short period so I may not be the best reference.

The best thing I can do is to refer to a thread on herdstone:
http://z2.invisionfree.com/herdstone/in ... =8985&st=0

If you don't like Giants, the shaggoth is a decent alternative but overpriced. You can compare it to Cold One Chariots vs. War Hydras. One is probably more cost effective but the other can be more reliable (stupidity and giant attacks).
Beastmaster kurlan
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Beastmaster kurlan »

i strongly suggest not going near the shaggoth. it is expensive takes up a special slot, and well isnt hard enough. it has not enough attacks, and cannot really od much in my opinion. if you do not like giants, then your an idiot. lol no seriously i suggest dragon ogres, 4 of them with great weapons give enemies headaches. they have a nasty repuatation which is well deserved
i cant seem to make friends! add me to msn you losers!

Kurlan the violent (trainee of khaine)

WS: 3
S:5
T:4
D:5
I:2

two short swords, dagger, 4 throwing knives, 500 gold coins, unarmed combat skill

Group 17 Mod
Druchiishootlord
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Druchiishootlord »

Well I don't know what the army looks like as that would depend highly on whether or not you should include a Shaggoth. If you have other major threats such as Dragon Ogres or multiple units of Minos I am sure that a Shaggoth would be fine.

It also adds the element of psychology to the army as he causes terror. Granted it does take up a Rare and a Special but with most Chaos armies they are very heavy Core and often have more than enough room to include a unit of a Shaggoth slots wise.

The role of the Shaggoth is different as well. You can't use the Shaggoth to charge headlong into the front of a fully ranked unit with command kit. If you do, well you deserve to have your Shaggoth die. He must be used as a flanking unit. If you use him like that then he will excel at what you want him to do. The Shaggoth helps to keep a flank clear by having a move that is better than average with his terror and high number of A and high S as well as a pretty good AS. Your typical units that you expect to be on the flanks and trying to move around your army such as skirmishers and fast cav will have troubles bringing this guy down.

So after all of that I would have to say yes, go for the Shaggoth but use him as a heavy flanker. You'll enjoy using him.
"Like never before will the weaker race of men tremble before our might."

Lord Yeurl to his captain before a battle in the Old World.

R4V3N wrote:do not question eldacar.

his word is law.
Hidaus morbusa
Executioner

Post by Hidaus morbusa »

Given Mark of Slaanesh (making it strike first) the Shaggoth has given me some trouble in the past I must say...
Druchiishootlord
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Druchiishootlord »

I don't think that he is looking for the general to his army but just a standard flanker. If the Shaggoth were to be the general I would highly suggest the MoS otherwise he can't have a mark so don't worry about it.
"Like never before will the weaker race of men tremble before our might."

Lord Yeurl to his captain before a battle in the Old World.

R4V3N wrote:do not question eldacar.

his word is law.
Rasputinii
M-A-D

Post by Rasputinii »

There was a good discussion a while back in this forum. If you trall you might find it. It was long if I recall. And I believe some one like Ant outlined the huge number of pros very well. Shaggoths are great if you aren't using the special slot. Come morning I'll have a look and try and find you that link or quote if some one else doesn't feel like doing it. It really was a good discussion, and would save you alot of time and hassle. The shaggoth is great, and underrated. But its hard to find people who are willing to go to length to explan why its so good. The crux of the argument is not to think of it as other monsters.

I want a Slaaneshi one to lead a unit of Bestigor personally. It would be awsome.
Pleased to be back
Archangel
Executioner

Post by Archangel »

i bought my mate a shaggoth for his birthday party that where having and hopefully i will face it in battle, i love the model, and i would have it in my army for beastmen yes slightly overpriced but you just need to know how to use and apply its strengths in your matches, i dont know how to sorry, but if you look and ask round someone can give you a pointer or 4

Regards, Archangel
I sing the hymn of the conquered, who fall in the battle of life,
The hymn of the wounded, the beaten who died overwhelmed in the strife.