Recommend a second army for me

For discussion about all the lesser races of Warhammer. Talk about armies, tactics and lists to take on the Druchii here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Rhakinlanthari
Executioner

Recommend a second army for me

Post by Rhakinlanthari »

Hi D.net,

I play dark elves. I have about 2000pts painted and about another 2000 left to go with painting. I'm not thinking about giving them up. What I am thinking about is getting a smaller second army for WHFB which will be used in addition to my DE, to vary it up a bit when I play warhammer. My main two criteria for this new army would be:

1. Something that plays with a different style to my dark elves.
2. Is fun to play, but still competitive.

I am open to other suggestions for why army x would make a good addition to my collection, so feel free to give other reasons too.

If you play armies other that Druchii, let me know what you think of them, and why you'd recommend a dark elf player pick up a 1000-2000pts force of it as a second army.

I was going to make this a poll but it complained about too many options, so you'll have to type out a response, preferably with some justification for why you would suggest that particular army.
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

I went with Orcs and Goblins myself. In the past I have tried various Chaos incursions but the greenies are great fun.
The exile
Warrior

Post by The exile »

My next project when my DE army is finnished is going to be a Vampire counts army...Unless i swing around and go for chaos or lose my mind and stroll over into 40k.
Sticks and stones may break my bones but whips and chains excite me.
So throw me down and tie me up and show me that you like me!
[llct]kain
Assassin

Post by [llct]kain »

Hi,

I had the same though 3 month ago.
My first asset to this was to classify that DE are Eliteforce and are not good to pick up the fight right into the face (gets sometimes very annoying if big nasties just walk to your line and do not care about your troops).

So I ended with the decission to go for a mass army - last step were Skaven and Mortal Chaos horde. I decided for a merauder horde... but now I postponed it a bit, because the new book will be soon out (so painting 130 merauders just to realise that they will be droped ?).

Last weekend the final decisioon fell - I bought the new Demons book and read and read and ... I will nedd an army :-)

To sum it up:
Skaven
or Deamons would be my suggestion
Slortor
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Slortor »

i went for vampires due to being given a lot of models for them. I then did BoC which i love to bits - they're a good army to do after DE as they kep the generally good movement but ive you different things to think about (good T and bad Ld as opposed to elves) so it gives you a new playing style without having to start all over again...
Name: Khalia D'Vaarko (meaning: Khalia, property of Vaarko)
Height/Weight: 5'6", 8 stone
Other: no distinguishing features, barring the brand of a great house left wrist.
Class: Mage
Equipment: Robes, Dagger, Staff
Skills: Power of Ulgu, Power of Chamon
Stats: Ws3, S3, T3, D4, I5

lrnec wrote: Reality and truth is more brutal than almost any fantasy game
Aginor26
Executioner

Post by Aginor26 »

Wood elves are fun but very similar to druchii.
Orcs & Goblins are very different from Druchii, you ALWAYS have fun playing them, but they are unreliable to a certain extent in terms of competitiveness.
Vampires Rock--great new models, book, solid army and muuuch different from Druchii.

3 recommendations, but as always, play the army you want. Im working on an orc force because orcs appeal to me, the range is good, and the rules are fun. Other armies might be more competitive, but i wouldnt touch a dwarf or skaven army with a 10 foot pole, i just dont like those armies. With that in mind pick the army you'll have the most fun painting/playing.
"Walk softly, and carry a big gun."
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

What about Ogres? They're about as utterly different to DE as it gets? Bikeninja, speak to the guy!
Layne
Global Moderator. Everything but the weather.

Caveat Numptor.

Karonath - WS6 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I3
Equipment: Bloodfeather, heavy armour, helm, Sea Dragon Cloak, rope x 2, month rations x 2
Inventory: longspear, 2 short swords, glaive, winter gear, shade cloak,
Mount: Dark Steed (Shiny), talisman of kurnous
Gold: 2294
Skills: Ambidexterity, Controlled Frenzy, Basic Ride, Drukh Kaganth
Class: Khainite
Hateshighelves
Beastmaster

Post by Hateshighelves »

After looking through the Daemons book, I'm thinking of finally painting up my plaguebearers and trying a Nurgle army. They are totally NOT druchii and I like alot of the models. I'm not too worried about winning, I play dark elves after all.
Did I tell you that I hate high elves?
Scareypete
Beastmaster

Post by Scareypete »

As secondary army to Dark Elves... that is Fun...

Skaven or Orcs I suppose are fun. Plus the Horde army plays so completely differently from Druchi.

otherwise you can Play a Human Horde as well... Empire or Mortals of Chaos (unless the mortals of Chaos new book screws you)

Of course if you want 2K points really quick with few models to purchase and paint... I would say bretonia, Ogres or Deamons.
Sedro
Beastmaster
Location: sieging Ulthuan...alone when not in gothenburg Sweden

Post by Sedro »

How about some evil painted Wood elves?but that would be very similar to druchii, I play WE and those are great fun(go for 2 dragons if your list grows up to 3000)
Draknir
Dark Artist

Post by Draknir »

Orcs/Ogres could be fun. I've thought of trying out Orcs at some point. My little brother plays them, and I know enough of them to say that they are a very fun and competitive army.

Hmm. Somehow it feels as if I've recommended Orcs to someone else also...
Jadin
Black Guard

Post by Jadin »

I suggest Orcs
No one
Noble

Post by No one »

chaos mortals, they are so diffrend from DE:
great combatpower, really though and still good ld (at least warriors etc.)
'with hatred all things are possible' -Malus of Hag Greaf-

"3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win"
Jadin
Black Guard

Post by Jadin »

Id hold off on Chaos Mortals until you see the new book though.
B*tch elf
Trainee Warrior

Post by B*tch elf »

go skaven! lots of fun, instead of worrying about a few dark elf deaths that can ruin your chances of winning, try shooting into your own ranks to increase your chances!!!

i love em
Oldone
Dark Rider

Post by Oldone »

I would suggest Orcs also - very different to DE, fun and also competitive if you want.
You need to get out more.
Drek
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Drek »

I'm having a ton of fun with Khorne Beastmen. Minotaurs are great fun, they still move fast, but they hit like a ton of bricks. And there are units that can actually take a charge, which is nice. And no magic or shooting is quite different too. I love 'em.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

I went with Slaanesh Daemons for second army as I have leftover models lying around after Cult of Pleasure was made more or less illegal.
Other than that I'm planning on building Skaven force as a nice opposite of Dark Elves
Shooty horde army vs. Melee focused elite army :)
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Lord woulfe
Trainee Warrior
Location: kidnapping, killing, pillaging and plundering somewhere... probably

Post by Lord woulfe »

I think lizardmen would be good, as they are different yet similiar to dark elves, so you would not need to relearn a whole new strategy, gust adapt your old one to skirmishers, closer ranged weapondry, and units that are good in close combat
Lord Woulfe of the raiders of the lost black ark
Voiddisciple
Dark Rider

Post by Voiddisciple »

I've had a lot of success playing Dwarfs after letting my Dark Elves hit the shelf. Putting together enough troops to start an army is stupid easy with the skull pass dwarfs all over ebay, and you can just phase 'em out as you get ahold of real plastics.
Whatever you do, I'd recommend at least something with some guess-range shooting. It's something that we don't get to do a lot, and I've found that they help me with making long-distance charges enormously.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

I started with DE, then raised an Empire army after a very careful selection.
The two armies are extremely different.
With Empire, you can have lots of cheap infantry (with detachments that bring interesting options), tons of artillery, armor-piercing fireweapons, very heavy cavalry as base unit (and non-stupid), and the fearsome tank. The magic is cheap, you can select all 8 aspects. The fun risky part is the chance to fail artillery and risk auto-explosion (same with engeneers' pigeons). On the other hand, you loose the high command value, hardly anybody flies, so it is a very versatile army overall. I have more fun with them that with present-day DE.
Oh by the way, one is "good" when the other is "bad", so during mega-tounaments where the "good" fights the "bad", you can select to join the less numerous.