Orcs and Goblins (Greenskins)

For discussion about all the lesser races of Warhammer. Talk about armies, tactics and lists to take on the Druchii here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Eldenno
Slave (off the Altar)

Orcs and Goblins (Greenskins)

Post by Eldenno »

I'm a new player of the DE army. I've played already a few games against my brother in law, who plays with the greenskins.
My army is swiped away in a few turns and he loses so few troops.

Can someone help me with some tactics and what is usefull against the greenskins??
Maybe also a few examples of armylists?

Thnx
Lord damian valar
Cold One Knight

Post by Lord damian valar »

Well, one of the great things about our army is that we are very versatile and pretty much can counter anything out there.

Before the many willing people of this board start giving you advice, perhaps you could give us some more input? Like what does your oponent field and what units you have trouble with...any information for us to work with really...
Eldenno
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Eldenno »

The problem is that he has almost every unit from his army list and he has an enormous army available.
So every battle he has an entire different army, with each time other strong things.

The thing i hate the most is his magic. He has a talisman that gives him an extra powerdice per unit of 20 men within 24 inch.
And 1 of his lords gets a dispel dice for every rank of the unit he is in and he puts him in a unit of 9 ranks.

So he always can cast at least 1, 2 or sometimes 3 spells that i cannot dispell because i have to few dispeldices.
And on the other hand i can cast just a few times a spell because he almost dispels everything.
Eldenno
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Eldenno »

I'm having a battle against him this evening. This is my army i'm putting in. Maybe some remarks or tips?
3000 points
*Dreadlord on Black Dragon = 460
-> HA+Shield+Sea Dragon Cloak+RxB+Crimson Death+Ring of Darkness+Null Talisman =105
*Suppreme Sorceress lvl 4 op Manticore = 460
-> Black Amulet + Armour of Darkness = 95
*Crossbows (2units of 10) + Shields+each a Mus = 230
*Warriors (2units of 10) + full command = 155
*Black Guard (30) +Full command+Standard of Hag Graef+Whip of Agony for Tower Master = 485
*Lokhir Fellheart (bij Black Guard) = 250
*Witch Elves (10) +Full command+Banner of Murder+rending stars for Hag = 175
*Sorceress Lvl 2 +Lifetaker+Guiding Eye = 185
->in crossbowunit
*Death Hag + CoB + BSB = 225
*War Hydra = 175
Borog
Beastmaster

Post by Borog »

Basically your problem is that you have a D&D party with a few henchmen against a horde army.

In other words, you need more troops! This army is illlegal... You have 385pts core and you need 750 pts.

Until you get more models you just have to play smaller games. Maybe that seems dull for him as he cannot use so many models, but unless you want it to be anything resembling a fair fight you need a lot more models fast, or you have to go down in points. The maximum you can play is 1500pts.

make a 1500pts army, legal, and then I can give you advice :)

Cause right now your army is just...weird... :P
Demetrius
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Demetrius »

1- Cant have 30 BG in a unit, they are maxed at 20
2- Mages cant have magical armour, so Armour of darkness on your supreme sorc cant be done
3- Hags cant take rending stars, only assassins can

I agree with Borog, get more core because you actually need 25% of your army to be made up of core.
Eldenno
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Eldenno »

Where can I find the rules about how many points i have to spendon Core, Lords, and so on..?
Because our army book says just 4+ Core units for a 3000-game...
Eldenno
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Eldenno »

oh sorry i've already found it in the rule book
now i can build army lists that are legal :D
Borog
Beastmaster

Post by Borog »

Good, you still have very few troops, but at 1500pts you at least have a chance. Battles are won by troops with heroes to tip the scale here and there, not the other way around ;)

Put up a 1500pts list, and we can give you more help with what you can improve, and also what kind of models you may need for future purchases :)
Eldenno
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Eldenno »

*Supreme Sorceress Lvl 4 on Cold One + Armour of Darkness + Pendant of Khaeleth + Dispell Scroll = 375
* Master on Cold One + S + SDC+ Armour of Destiny + Beastmaster’s Scourge = 162
*Crossbows (10) +Shields = 110
*Crossbows (10) +Shields = 110
*Black Ark Corsairs (15) + Full comm. + pair of handbows for Reaver + Sea Serpent Standard = 203
*Witch Elves (10) + Full comm. + Banner of Murder + Rune of Khaine for Hag = 125
*Black Guards (15) + Full comm. +Standard of Hag Graef = 265
*Reaper Bolt Thrower = 100
Creedence
Dark Rider

Post by Creedence »

The list is still illegal as Demetrius indicated wizards cannot wear armour so The supreme sorceress is not legal. Personally I would also recommend getting her off the cold one as stupidity on a caster is a bad thing.

The master on a cold one in this army is also not overly helpful as it makes them so that they can be targeted by missile fire and only get a lookout sir on 4+ rather then a 2+.
Lord Admiral, Creedence Vendral, Commander of the Black Arc Murderous Pride.
Bounce
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Bounce »

Put the Sorceress on foot, you don't have any cavalry or harpies so she doesn't really need to be fast and being stupid with your level four is not fun particularly with no BSB or Dreadlord.
Don't bother with a Hag in the Witches let alone give her the rune. Consider you are paying 35 points for 1+D3 attacks roughly 3, which hey is how many a normal Witch Elf gets but for 25 points less!
Black Guards don't need the Standard of Hag Graef particularly not against Orcs and Goblins, it's a complete waste. You strike first with re rolls regardless.
"I will embrace death without regret as I embrace life without fear"
ImageImageImage
Grandmasterfred
Executioner

Post by Grandmasterfred »

might i recomend getting some executiioners with a death hag with the ASF banner im not sure if it is was or ever was legal though
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Blaznak
Beastmaster

Post by Blaznak »

Banner of Murder seems a bit of a waste as Orcs and Goblins tend not to have uber armor. However, the war banner for +1 Combat Res makes a LOT of sense against a horde army.

For tactics, try to split his army up and attack a piece of it at a time. Try using one of the magic lores that forces tests on initiative, like Death.

Good luck! Post a mini report :)

~B~
Vulcan
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Vulcan »

grandmasterfred wrote:might i recomend getting some executiioners with a death hag with the ASF banner im not sure if it is was or ever was legal though

It's the only legal way to get ASF on the executioners. The trick is not letting the hag get her no-armor-save-T3 self killed. :?