I'm excited for tomorrow - my first game in 2 years

For discussion about all the lesser races of Warhammer. Talk about armies, tactics and lists to take on the Druchii here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

I'm excited for tomorrow - my first game in 2 years

Post by Kinslayer »

As some of you may know I quit the game a little over two years ago after having an army stolen through a so called trade on this site*, which was really just the insult added to the injury caused by games workshops habit of bleeding my wallet dry every week. However, after the onset of 8th edition coupled with the new resin and plastic kits, I have finally decided to get back into the game. I've spent the last few months building up a vampire counts army, and I've literally just about scraped it to 2000 points (if I proxy some zombies as ghouls and a corpse cart as a black coach that is)

Well, I found a local gaming group I never knew existed last time I played, and I will be attending there again tomorrow. I have a game lined up with the gaming clubs organiser, who plays bretonnia, high elves and orcs and goblins. I beleive he will be bringing his knights to the table tomorrow, which should be interesting as it is an army I never once faced before despite having 10 years of warhammer gaming behind me. I'm only really writing this to share my excitement, I can tell I'll be twitching all day at work waiting for the day to finish and the evening to come around. I'll be sure to write up a battle report, though I'm making no promises I will remember every last detail of the fight.

It's my opponents first game in a while too, and first ever game in 8th edition. This should be fun! :twisted:

* That's not to say you should stay away from the trading forum here though, Fr0 does a good job with it. But I'd stay away from trades with a certain man in Athens, Greece.
Silic
Noble

Post by Silic »

Welcome back to gaming, and best of luck to you!
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

Well, here is the BATTLE REPORT

Not a victory but still a great game! :D
Tethlis
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Tethlis »

Welcome back, and thanks for a good read. Did your characters have additional magic items on them as well? I noticed they weren't listed in your battle report. Did your Grave Guard have hand weapon/shield, or great weapons?

To answer some of your questions:

- is he allowed more than one dispel scroll and warbanner? He had 4 of each but I think that is illegal. I didn't mind but handy to know for next time.

Nope. "Common magic items" really aren't common at all anymore; they are limited 0-1 in every list, just like magic items from the armybooks themselves. So that's 1 Warbanner per list, and 1 dispel scroll!

[quote[- I forgot to absorb magic with my black coach on the first turn, it would of been handy as I could have got ethereal a lot sooner and ended up being a flyer.[/quote]

Yes indeed! The Black Coach is ludicrously good, given how quickly it can absorb Power Dice in 8th edition. Certainly worth remembering.

- I couldn't work out if the black coach keeps absorbing dice after it hits upgrade number 6 (thus draining your magic for the rest of the game). Any ideas?[]/quote]

That's probably a question for Carpe Noctem, but yes, I suspect it continues to absorb dice.

- We forgot to use the bonuses earned in spells when it came round to the magic phase. We are probably going to get some sort of 'spell markers' to remind us.

Markers are good, especially since the magic phase can have a tremendous and dramatic effect on how your units perform. Augments and Hexes play a critical role in every combat, so they're worth remembering.

- In the ghouls first turn of combat I forgot they had 2 attacks in the front tank, and in the second round I almost forgot the third rank could fight too as they were a horde (luckily I remembered that just before he rolled his return attacks)

You live and learn. Combined those two attacks and Poison with magic augments, and you can get a pretty fearsome combat unit...

- We couldn't find in the rulebook whether or not when the lords were in a challenege inside the knights of the realm unit, their banner adds to their sides combat resolution and thus can break the vampire even though they dont strike at her because she is in a challenge. Also if we had remembered to use the spell effect from shield of thorns, would she take the magical hits for being in base contact with the unit since she is in a challenge?

Only the two models engaged in a challenge can fight each other, but that doesn't stop their respective unit(s) from lending their support! Ranks, banners, and any kills earned by both sides will still contribute to the resolution of the overall combat, which means that the dueling characters will still have to take all that into account for their break tests or instability results.
There is no escape from Chaos. It marks us all.

Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

Thanks for that reply, glad you liked the report! My grave guard had great weapons and the banner of the barrows, my characters had magic items as well:

The vampire lord had blood drinker, walachs bloody hauberk, dragonhelm, master of the black arts and forbidden lore.

The vampire had tomb blade, flayed hauberk, forbidden lore.

The wight king just had BSB (ran out of points for items) and the Necromancer just his 2 spells.

I can't remember what all his magic items and knightly virtue things were, but his Paladin had a magic shield but no magic weapon thus making him useless against the coach when it turned ethereal. His lord had a 1+ save and a lance that always hits on 2+ or something. The damsels just had scrolls and the BSB another of the many warbanners.

It didn't show up in the battle chronicler images but my Vampire Lord and Wight King BSB were in the grave guard, my Vampire in the skeletons and my Necromancer in the ghouls.

His Paladin was in the knights errant, Lord in the left side unit of knights of the realm, damsel in the grail knights, and Paladin BSB in the knights of the realm on the right flank.