why is warhammer a realy good game

For discussion about all the lesser races of Warhammer. Talk about armies, tactics and lists to take on the Druchii here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Blacklight
Slave on the Altar

why is warhammer a realy good game

Post by Blacklight »

Hey guy's it's me

well time for the help part, Me and my friends quited warhammer for a while, and now im considering getting involved in it again.

I asked them If they considered coming back and they said not really so I was wondering If you could give me some realy good reasons to convince them to come back, because I want to keep sharing the fun with them :).

THx alot!!!
Last edited by Blacklight on Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

I understand that the argument is to explain why WHFB is better now than it used to be.
Also, you don't explain why you ceased to play.

I suggest you edited your thread's title to reflect that. Something like "Tell me why is WHFB better now than in the XXth edition?".
I'm sure it will be an improvement over your title which is a little vague.

Back to topic.

WHFB is better now for a couple of reasons:

- 8th edition is an excellent one, with most drawbacks of previous editions adressed successfully. Sure, not everything is perfect, but almost everything is clearer, easier or more reasonable than before. Rules are usually well explained (taken into account the FAQs which are released much more quickly than before).
Playing WHFB has never been as fun and less frustrating.

- Different armies are much more balanced than they used to be. There is no clear and definitive 1st tier/underdog classification.
Still, you cannot do anything you wish and be competitive at the same time. It requires skill.

- Present models are awesome. The quality of GW sculpture is arguably at its peak. A new range of paints is available.
Sure, the prices are still very high, and it requires many models before you get a playable army. But not many hobbies come for free and this one is still cheaper than many sports.

- Internet support is more mature than it used to be (I had none when I started myself). GW website has seen some efforts in the last years. D.net is helpful as usual.

I don't know if you play WH40k with your friends instead.
Fluff apart, the two games have many in common.
However, 40k is more prone to a single die or a rock/paper/scissor army design to decide the outcome of a battle, when WHFB requires a balanced army design, careful deployment and thought tactics during the game.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Blacklight
Slave on the Altar

Post by Blacklight »

Calisson wrote:I understand that the argument is to explain why WHFB is better now than it used to be.
Also, you don't explain why you ceased to play.

I suggest you edited your thread's title to reflect that. Something like "Tell me why is WHFB better now than in the XXth edition?".
I'm sure it will be an improvement over your title which is a little vague.

we started when eight edition first came out actually, and I honestly don't know why we stopped playing, it just....i don't know died on us in a sense.

and thx I will change the title :D
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Oh...
So that's a totally different argument.
The game is a combination of several interests. Let's review some of them.

To collect models. That's YOUR army and YOU are the general. 8)

To paint models. Especially if you customize them. These are miniatures nearly as beautiful as if Michaelangelo painted them, and YOU are the proud artist. :o

The fluff. Yeah, Dark Elves are nasty, much more than in our worst nightmares. And You're collecting them for that very reason. :twisted:

To build an army. You're going to win, and they are going to see how invincible you are, for sure. You prepare that for days. Your battle plan is ready and meticously prepared as WWII's D-Day.

To meet with friends. Rendez-vous at your club. Sandwiches and beer ready. The atmosphere, looking at other gamers, how they play, how original they armies are.

To discover the other armies. What? They have THAT unit??? They can do that??? What? What the heck is that magic object? That spell? No way! :shock:

THE Game! During the battle, many, many things go unexpected. And that can be hilarious. :lol:
Especially when HIS invincible unit gets smashed thanks to a bad dice.
Except when YOUR invincible unit fails to meet your expectations.
To argue about the rules can be fun too. Hey, you can't do that! What? Which page? Gosh, how come? :evil:
Next step is to gossip about how insane Games Workshop writers are.

At the end of the game, you value the result of the battle: "objectives? oops, totally forgot about them..." :(
"OK, you win technically, but I have the moral victory because of this and that..."

After the game:
Tactics are discussed, here in D.net, to understand what went wrong and how to become a better general.

The best moments are discussed with friends: "do you remember that time when this and that and also that too..."
See the best of the best, posted on D.net:
Threads made just for the fun :lol: (click into the links)
1. .....................................Murphy's unwritten rules of warhammer (some wise philosophy about what not to expect too much)
2. .....................................The "It Doesn't Come Around" thread when your dice rolls are so frighteningly consistent that you know what will happen before you roll.
3. .....................................Funniest/most unreasonable deaths and kills
4. .....................................Heroic Performances (the inexpected best)
5. .....................................Terrible rolling odds (the inexpected worse)
6. .....................................Worst battles you've ever played (if you lost, see that it could be worse)
7. .....................................How to laugh when things go wrong?
8. .....................................You know you play too much warhammer when...

Finally... well, if some D.netters total more than 3000 posts, it must show sort of addiction somewhere... :roll:
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Ehakir
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Ehakir »

If you like the way 8th edition plays, you could convince them by telling that warhammer under 8th ed is a game which combines very good with beer and other snacks these days.

If you like warhammer because of its tactical considerations, consider going back to 6th edition, where (nearly all) armies relied heavily on the tactics used with the army in order to win.
"Ceterum censeo Ulthuan esse delendam"
-Ehakir

3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win.