Naggarothi HE

For discussion about all the lesser races of Warhammer. Talk about armies, tactics and lists to take on the Druchii here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Naggarothi HE

Post by Rabidnid »

After 4 years of DE I'm bored. Looking for a new army to invigorate my play without requiring me to lose the use of the models I know and love, I am branching out into a Pre-sundering DE army using the HE rulebook

General
lvl 4 mage - beasts - with the item that lest her choose spells and 4+ ward

Core
22 archers with muso and standard (flaming banner) Mage goes here
10 archers with muso
10 archers with muso

Archers will be HE arms and legs on DE torso and heads, or just DE legs for the armoured archers.

Special
19 Swordmasters (executioners) with FC, all attacks magical & banner of discipline

2x 7 White lions with muso (just white lions or maybe spare HE archer legs on corsairs with WL heads and axes)

Rare

2 great eagles (multi harpies on single base)

78 models and 1500 points exactly.

What thoughts on list and conversion ( I will be repainting a lot of the army)
"Luck is the residue of design"
Finglon paleblade
Trainee Warrior

Post by Finglon paleblade »

Well, I don't know much about 8th, but I know about HE. I found that white lions didn't do well in small units (swordmasters are awsome though, I always took 2 small units), so you should either swap them for SM or put them in a unit of 14 (a very good size for them). You probably don't need that many archers, mine have never killed much. I took generally 2 units of ten to pick off light cav and stuff. To fill the core you could maybe get some spears? Having mostly played in 7th, I usually only took a unit or two of archers to fill up the core slots, but in 8th........Trust me though, on the rare occasions I took them, they did well(but nothing better! remember that!). I have always thought that taking large units of SM is stupid. One template (low strength included) and thats a lot of dead elves! Theyre vulnerable to shooting and magic, and in big units that are neither easy to hide or expendable, thats not good! consider a noble with white lions, or PG (theyre actually quite good in units of 20) instead, and take SM in small units. Eagles are auwesome, but maybe you could ditch one to help pay for the noble? As a sidenote, I would take a prince and a level 2, if you could. The prince armed with a simple GW in a unit of PG can be really awsome in 1.5k.

wow, I wrote all that! Anyway, I can't believe I'm giving advice to a probably very experienced warhammer player, but there you go! All that I've said is from personal experience (learnt the hard way), so it's likely all this is just what works for me! Oh, by the way, LC are good, and so were DP, but in 8th.......

Well, that was my two cents!

:)
Once upon a time, I was nice ***** high elf, but one day, some dark elves captured me along with some others. During the journey to naggaroth, I stole my friend's dry bread. The captatin saw this, and said I'd make a good dark elf. And that is what I've become.
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

Thanks for the reply. I don't actually expect much from the archers, but I have even less use for spears. So its going to stay all archer core. The 60 points it costs to turn 30 spears into 30 archers seems well worth it.

I'm going to start with a lvl 4 with life and try and get the SM to T-7. The white lions because they are stubborn and have a 3+ save versus shooting seem like a reasonable smaller unit. Re-rolls from the ASF should make them hit hard enough and if they die, its only 120 points.

The army theme won't allow dragon princes or phoenix guard, so I am making due with mostly archers, seaguard swordmasters, reavers and white lions.

The basic idea is that:

Armoured archers are the urban regiments. Regimented and capable (I've got decent armoured archers now with Corsair arms, glade guard bows and DE warrior bodies.)

Reavers are road wardens

White lions are going to be the original autari tribes of Naggaroth.

The current list is a little different

Sorceress generall (lvl 4) life - seerstaff (choose spells)

noble - armour of calendor and mask of EEE (in SM for ld 9 and immune to fear terror)

19 archers with muso std and banner of disipline
10 archers with muso

13 SM with banner of flame and muso
8 white lions
8 white lions
5 reavers with bows, spears and muso.

2 eagles

70 models and 1497 points.

I'm going with life initially because it seems like a really solid lore and has some neat abilities.

When I expand the list to 2.5K I will add a prince

In bigger games i'm going to run 3 cheap mounted nobles as heralds. In a defacto unit buffed to T-7 they could be quite survivable
Last edited by Rabidnid on Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Finglon paleblade
Trainee Warrior

I think it's better, but still think you should take SM instead of WL. Ok for stubborn, but the SM will kill so much guys that you wont onnly hold, but against crappy units that are big (but not in horde) you wont just stay, youll win! I would still swap the WL for SM, and the SM for white lions. SG are good, and well worth replacing the archers. Reavers aren't too bad, but you could get better stuff for the same points, but if its for fluff, as I said, they're not too bad.....
Once upon a time, I was nice ***** high elf, but one day, some dark elves captured me along with some others. During the journey to naggaroth, I stole my friend's dry bread. The captatin saw this, and said I'd make a good dark elf. And that is what I've become.
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

orceress generall (lvl 4) High - silver staff (+1 spell) and 4+ ward

noble - Radiant gem (lvl 1 High)

19 archers with muso std and banner of disipline
10 archers with muso

19 SM with FC, mask of EEE and banner of flame and muso
6 SM with muso
6 sm with muso

2 eagles

New plan is to shut down opponent's magic with double drain magic and kill off whole units with flames of the phoenix

I week in and the first picture of the paint scheme

Finglon paleblade
Trainee Warrior

Ummmm, your noble is pretty useless. Hell die easily, wont do much damage, and you can get more magic effectiveness with a lvl 2 mage that'll cost 5pts more!
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

Finglon paleblade wrote:Ummmm, your noble is pretty useless. Hell die easily, wont do much damage, and you can get more magic effectiveness with a lvl 2 mage that'll cost 5pts more!

Sorry, missed that he has a great weapon, dragon armour and BSB. He's there for re-rols and whatever spell he gets from high. I'm not sure its a good idea, but he could be useful.
Finglon paleblade
Trainee Warrior

Yeah, thought you had, but...... It could be a good idea, but dragon armour is only a 5+ AS. not that awsome, hell die if he gets hit a few times even by average troops. If you managed to make him more resistant, he'd be good (barded horse and dragonhelm could be good if your not facing any armies that could easily snipe him.) Otherwise go with a fighty noble, another unit (RBT, chariots, SW, perhaps, or more SM) or a lvl 2 mage.
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

Finglon paleblade wrote:Yeah, thought you had, but...... It could be a good idea, but dragon armour is only a 5+ AS. not that awsome, hell die if he gets hit a few times even by average troops. If you managed to make him more resistant, he'd be good (barded horse and dragonhelm could be good if your not facing any armies that could easily snipe him.) Otherwise go with a fighty noble, another unit (RBT, chariots, SW, perhaps, or more SM) or a lvl 2 mage.

I'm still looking at a lot of combos for mounted characters. I also got some of the Island of Blood reavers and a box of dragon princes.

My prince will just be great weapon, barded steed, dragon armour, mask of the merlord, vambraces of defence and Amulet of light. 2+ rerollable save and 4+ ward. The mask is just there for the armour save, but charging across a river will be cool if it happens.

i will leave off on writing lists for a while and stick with a lvl 4 mage for the moment. Once i have run the basic list a bit I will then start looking at 2K and 2.5k lists.
Finglon paleblade
Trainee Warrior

That's a pretty good prince build, (I tend to put get a dragon if I can, just freakin' awsome, but sometimes no points to spend!) very resilient, and does very good damage. But your noble is still way too fragile!
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

Finglon paleblade wrote:That's a pretty good prince build, (I tend to put get a dragon if I can, just freakin' awsome, but sometimes no points to spend!) very resilient, and does very good damage. But your noble is still way too fragile!

The mage nob will be barded steed, shield, dragon armour, great weapon and bow for 163 points.

Standard nob will add mask of the merlord and dawnstone in place of the radiant gem for 153 points.

might run both as an experiment, but most times they will be replaced by DPs
Finglon paleblade
Trainee Warrior

Ok, but why a shield if hes got a GW? and well, what are you hoping to kill with that bow? a goblin?
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

The shield for greater protection against shooting, the bow I would assume for taking down such annoyances as fanatics though they can also be useful for knocking off the odd rank, might as well use that high BS.
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Arch Deacon of the RPG forum
Gentleman of Moderation
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

Drainial wrote:The shield for greater protection against shooting, the bow I would assume for taking down such annoyances as fanatics though they can also be useful for knocking off the odd rank, might as well use that high BS.

Yep. 2 units of 30 goblin archers and about 7 fanatics on average. Less use aginstt the other lists, but everything helps against handgunners and HE archery. I'm toying with a bow on my mage as well, but she is only BS 4. Bow of the seafarer would be hilarious though verus bloodknights and cairn wraiths (its an S-6 bolt thrower shot).
Finglon paleblade
Trainee Warrior

Ok for the bow, but are you planning to run your noble without cav support? If your gonna put him in cav, no shield needed. as for infantry, I can't remember the look out sir rules for 8th.........
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

Finglon paleblade wrote:Ok for the bow, but are you planning to run your noble without cav support? If your gonna put him in cav, no shield needed. as for infantry, I can't remember the look out sir rules for 8th.........

He will be by himself. Dragon armour means he can't be sniped by metal spells and he is the hardest possible target for doom divers, I'm losing whole units to them so I'm not greatly worried bout him dying. Re-rollable 1+ save should keep him alive versus most shooting, and he can handle dwarf artillery better than the eagles. Hopefully lore of light will stop the artillery shooting until he gets there.