looking for the *perfect* WH-experience

For discussion about all the lesser races of Warhammer. Talk about armies, tactics and lists to take on the Druchii here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

El hombre
Executioner

looking for the *perfect* WH-experience

Post by El hombre »

All,

I'm your average DE-player, playing exclusively in a small group of friends. We don't play very often nor at a high level, seeking foremost to have fun when we get the opportunity to play. We spend more time painting/converting and talking about the armies than actually playing.

so I'm looking for a new army, and knowing the above, that army should answer to following demands:

- not a one-trick-pony; some different builds possible
- not a powerhouse, but not the weakest army around as well.
- some degree of character.
- fun to play
- fun to paint (so no skaven please...) and/or some conversion possibilities

Since our group is rather small, they can't give me much advice, since everybody has only one, max two armies. I hope some of you around here can compare more armies...

I was thinking about
- OGRES (character, nice beasts, seem fun, but are they a "decent" army? In BloodBowl they're rather a "fun-team", not to be taken too seriously)

- WOC (seem cool and I like the general idea, but somebody told me their gameplan is restricted to "point-and-click", and that in good WOC-armies there aren't any Warriors... which sounds totally wrong IMHO)

so, does anybody have some advice? What army will give me fun while planning (as opposed to the same army over and over again), painting (1 horde is no problem, but no 1000 same dudes please) and playing (possible to win, but not at all costs, with some nice tricks etc...)

thanks!
From the ashes a fire shall be woken
A light from the shadow shall spring
Renewed shall be the blade that was broken
the crownless again shall be king.
Whtdwrf11
Slave on the Altar

Post by Whtdwrf11 »

With the Ogres new book there certainly more powerful now then they previously were and people don't like facing their mournfang cavalry very much at all but I don't know very much about their new things and such.

WoC this I know more about so the whole point and click that honestly depends on your build and like any army it's not like you can just blindly rush forward into the enemy army and expect to win so I don't see point and click if you expect to win.

There also one of the few armies that can do all mounted lists still then with a special character we have lists heavy on trolls and other monstrous infantry in our book then there's infantry heavy of course.

That whole comment that the only good WoC army is one that has no warriors at all is a bunch of crap bluntly speaking if you go and look at WoC lists a lot of them include warriors but also do include a 40 strong Mark of Khorne great weapon marauder unit because it's so cheap for the power it packs but the problem with that unit is it has no armor at all so we still need infantry that can make it across the table which is where our warrior units come in with their 3 + save at range with shield and 4 + save in combat not to mention that with halberds warriors are no slouches either in combat with their 2 s5 attacks at initiative 5.
Kefka
Malekith's Best Friend
Location: That's for you to know and me to find out! Do I get a hint?

Post by Kefka »

I would say Ogres. WoC are one of the most powerful armies without even trying hard, while Ogres have some really hard builds, but unless you are trying to break the game they run fairly mid-tier. (also, use gnoblars, they soak up points and are always fun if they die or kill something. I run a unit of 50 that is hilarious to see get run down or run things down!)
Ogres are also one of the best armies for conversions. The basic ogre bull model is very versatile that even GW makes 3 different kits based off the model! Bulls, ironguts, and leadbealchers all use the same body. Get a few extra bits kicking around and you an build maneaters, or even characters! Almost my entire army is based off of thte basic bull body, in fact I just bought a box of six bulls that I have turned into:
A lore of death butcher
A lore of beasts butcher
2 maneaters with GW
2 maneaters with brace of pistols.
all it took was some extra bits I got from my buddies or that were laying around. that was 1 box ($45 canadian) If I bought them separately it would have cost $246. I just saved $200 by converting!
Ogres are also known as great mercenaries and vagabonds, so you can theme your army off of anything and justify it (or just go plain old horde of ogres, that always works). So, you could convert your ogres to be from the chaos wastes, then you get WoC in there as well!!!

Ogres are my main army, I always go back to them and paint up a few models every month, despite all my other unfinished armies. I could go on for hours why I like them, but this is something you need to figure out yourself. Try checking out the other forums and seeing what they have to say. ogrestronghold is a fantastic site.

Fiat Obsidian - WS5 / S5 / T4 / D5 / I4
Equipment: Halberd, Zukhil Shield, Bastard Sword, Heavy Armour, Seadragon Cloak, Helmet of Slaanesh, Blackthorn Dagger
Mount: Locke (dark steed)
Gold: 488
Skills: Supernatural Awareness, Defensive Fighting, Intimidate, Drukh Kaganth (1)
Class: Warrior
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

I've started High Elves just recently and have to say they are a nice change from DE, and with all of the IoB bits on e-bay, pretty cheap as well.

If you ever thought that DE were a magic heavy army, then look though the HE book, they still have amazing items and access to all 8 lores plus their own.
"Luck is the residue of design"
Gnosis
Hard, but Fair

Post by Gnosis »

I've recently started collecting Beastmen after playing with the local store's collection for a bit, and I'd nominate them. They've got an excellent and varied collection of core troops, from 5-man skirmishing Ungor Raider groups over solid blocks of Gors to powerful Tuskgor Chariots, topped off with a nice but not overly reliable ambushing rule. Minotaurs and Bestigors are great as well, both in the game and to paint and model. Though they've lost Chaos marks, you can still paint them after the gods, as I'm doing with my army.

And yes, having a good chance of getting hatred every turn of combat with their primal fury special rule is fun too ;)
Count them:

Painted in 2013: 500
Painted in 2014: 600
Painted in 2015: 854
Eldria
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Eldria »

Good to see ya back around Gnosis :) I was REALLY tempted by Beastmen until their new book came out and they got rid of the hybrid skirmish-ranked unit: for me having models walking around in regimented rank and file just does not sit well with me and so I avoided them. However upon recently reading their book they actually look like a lot of fun still - how have you fouind their BIG gribblies? They look a little over costed to me, though using their number 6 spell from Lore of the Wild seems neat...

Edit: this is dangerous beans by the way, was still signed in on my mates account by accident!
A High Elf and Demon player lurking with his darker friends.
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

Give Lizzies some thought - they've got a nice mix of magic, fighting and even some missile power (skinks with poisoned javelins...). With their low initiative, they're definitely not an auto win army, but with their high toughness and cold blood abilities, they have definite strength to them. The models are lots of fun - big dinosaurs, lizards riding on cold ones, massed armoured lizards, cute ickle skinks, and so on. I like their lore a lot - ancient and good (nice change for lizards), in a tropical paradise/nightmare.
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Dangerous Beans
The Guiding Eye
Location: Sat drinking 'soul stealer' cocktails in the city of Vilebrier with Morathi...

Post by Dangerous Beans »

Everytime I play against lizzies, I really get these strange urges to begin banging my head against a brick wall repeatedly. But yes, lizzies are a great army - just please don't take an almost all skink army ;)
Gnosis
Hard, but Fair

Post by Gnosis »

Eldria wrote:Good to see ya back around Gnosis :) I was REALLY tempted by Beastmen until their new book came out and they got rid of the hybrid skirmish-ranked unit: for me having models walking around in regimented rank and file just does not sit well with me and so I avoided them. However upon recently reading their book they actually look like a lot of fun still - how have you fouind their BIG gribblies? They look a little over costed to me, though using their number 6 spell from Lore of the Wild seems neat...

Edit: this is dangerous beans by the way, was still signed in on my mates account by accident!

I've only played with the Cygor, but it's quite underwhelming. As you said, they're overpriced in points, should be around 200. I think only the Giant is worthwhile.

I'm actually glad they became rank and file units, makes moving them around much easier.
Count them:

Painted in 2013: 500
Painted in 2014: 600
Painted in 2015: 854