Vampire Counts Competitive Lists?

For discussion about all the lesser races of Warhammer. Talk about armies, tactics and lists to take on the Druchii here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Columind
Malekith's Best Friend
Location: Portugal - the country everybody thinks belongs to Spain...arg

Vampire Counts Competitive Lists?

Post by Columind »

Hello!

I've been optimizing two 2400 pts VC lists for the last two months, trying to also match my playing style and taste.

I've came up with these two lists, which have held their own against many 7th edition armies and have proven very competitive.

1st list

Vampire Lord
General
Level 3 - Lore of Vampires
Red Fury
ASF
Barded Nightmare
Heavy Armor
Shield
Black Periapt
Sword of Might+Trickster's Shard+Dragonbane gem or Lance+Nightshroud
Around 500 pts

A 2+ Armor Save beast. Sure, it doesn't have a base ward save and it is expensive, but it combines powerful magic with intense fighting capabilities, kind of oldstyle VC Lords used to. I usually choose my fights carefully and I'm a risk-taking player, so I'm not really afraid of not having a ward save.

Vampire Hero
Level 2 - Lore of Shadows
BsB
Heavy Armor
Shield
Barded Nightmare
Red Fury
ASF Sword
Dispel Scroll
About 270 pts or so.

This guy is one of my favourite builds. Expensive, but very useful, can dish out 6 or 7 wounds on regular infantry and can hold it's own. Usually I place him in the same unit as the general - black knights, to compensate possible needs of transforming them into anvils instead of hammers.

Necromancer
Level 1 - Lore of Vampires
Cursed Book

I usually have this guy to cover losses deriving from general being slain or crucial need for invocations, and especially taking my favourite VC magic item, the cursed book. This is the item that allows good magic phases when one needs them the most. 100 pts.

5 Dire Wolves
5 Dire Wolves
80 pts
Redirectors and general shielding material.

28 Ghouls
28 Ghouls
280 pts each

Used to run them in one big unit, but I like having two walls instead of one, especially against monster heavy lists such as DE, Ogres or Skaven (2 abom). Don't think I need a Ghast in there.

20 zombies (musician+standard)

Basic standard wielding unit for cenario purposes and to work as a bunker for the necro.

5 Hexwraiths
5 Hexwraiths
300 pts

These are very important. Not only because they are aimed at monsters and other big stuff I can't normally kill, but also because they can also work as very nice redirecters in case of emergencies. Above all, I like them because they condition my opponent's movement phase (except if he's a DoC player...)

3 Vargheists
3 Vargheists
276 pts

By themselves, these guys are not that great, but coupled with Hexwraiths (especially gaining hard cover from them with regards to non-magical missiles) they can win the flanks of many battles and help out in some fights. Cheap for their potential, hard to use though.

8 Black Knights (Standard+Champion or Standard+Champion+Flaming Banner)
About 280 points

Designated drivers for the Vampire friends. Because of them, can work as anvil and hammer, which allows for greater flexibility.

Around 2400 pts total

2nd list - I'll post the main differences only

Ghoul King
Level 1 - Lore of Vampires
Red Fury
Black Periapt

Vampire BsB is the same but on foot and with enchanted shield+seed of rebirth instead of the dispel scroll

+1 Level 1 Necro with dispel scroll for more invocation/chanelling power

+ 12 Crypt Horrors (2 units of 6)
Anvils

No Black Knights

only 3 vargheists
only 5 hexwraiths

+1 Mortis Engine

To allow casting bonuses and better regen on the crypt horrors, along with shooting attack that can send an enemy terrorgheist back to it's deathbed.

What do you think? I've played regulardly against DoC, WoC, Skaven, Lizardmen, VC and TK, and I've seen great potential and resilience from both lists. I love the SGK, but I'm convinced he doesn't allow that extra magic punch when needed.