The Dwarf Rumor Mill sucks

For discussion about all the lesser races of Warhammer. Talk about armies, tactics and lists to take on the Druchii here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Re: The Dwarf Rumor Mill sucks

Post by Amboadine »

Wow. Ok. On Irondrakes -I thought only the chaos dwarfs had missiles...
Nice unit. With the other rare units I am not sure how many we will see at 2400-3000. Can help feel a little jealous of those Dwarfs and their new toys right now.

Nice run down of everything if this is correct, will have to absorb all of that before commenting.
Ampao
Assassin

Post by Ampao »

whats a slave?
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Whow.... the core shooters remain 5 slaves?! T4, Heavy Armor, that leadership and that... firepower for... 5 slaves. Oh man.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Ampao wrote:whats a slave?

Price of a skaven slave.
Ampao
Assassin

Post by Ampao »

Amboadine wrote:
Ampao wrote:whats a slave?

Price of a skaven slave.

err how does this work? slave cost etc?
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

We are not meant to post points costs. But I am sure you can work it out if I tell you our basic warriors cost 4.5 slaves.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

1 slave = 2 pts.
The policy about pts cost has been soften up here in D.net, you can quote pts.
Now, I understand that whoever takes care to copy/paste, wishes not to convert all slaves in his post.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Ampao
Assassin

Post by Ampao »

duhhh. got it. lol thanks for the clarification
Kold
Black Guard

Post by Kold »

A slave is a good coin to us. ;)
...kill'em all
Gidean
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Gidean »

Kold wrote:Rumours...

Rare:

Ranger (7 slaves): HW, GW, TA, XBOW & HA. Shields for half a slave. +5 unit size.

Irondrakes: The Irondrake champion can take a "Trollhammer Torpedo." It's S8, flaming attacks, and multiple wounds (d3). It's range is actually longer than the Drakegun's range. 25 slaves banner.

Warmachines: Warmachines have between 25 or 50 slaves runic allowance. No basic engineer upgrade.

Bolt Thrower (27.5 slaves):

Cannon (60 slaves):

Gyrocopter (40 slaves): Steam gun is S3 AP. 1/2 the number of gyros in your army can have vanguard for 10 slaves.

Organ gun: Range 30. BS based shooting, two artillery dices. If one misfires, halve the roll of the other. If both misfire, misfire chart. 25 slaves of runes.

Interesting...everything that shoots is under rare. THAT should limit gun-lines quite a bit. No Grudge Throw?! !eek!
Detherius Zythaal
Shade

Post by Detherius Zythaal »

I really doubt that BT and grudge throwers will be in rare choice, but what do I know? Organ Gun with runes to improve chances to hit and a master engineer will be brutal. Irondrakes look like an awesome unit. 10pts per shooter? that's absurd and i really doubt than that could be true.
I like what I am seeing, can't wait to have that army book.
Edit: The organ gun would now have range of 30"... wow.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

High elves are looking at the new dwarfs and kind of chuckling. 3++ Phoenix Guard and a banner of the broken dragon white lions and a unit of dragon princes and poor dwarven war machines become nearly useless unless someone specifically takes no runes on a couple machines just to combat high elves.

Organ gun may be 30" range but without runes crew is BS 3 so first they have to the number of hits (with about 33% chance to roll at least one missfire, halving the shots on the other die) then hit on 5+ or 6+ (depending if it suffers from multiple shots).

I am far more worried about the souped up flame cannons and really wish we had a unit immune to fire like our cousins.

Thankfully we're far better than them and will find a way to deal with the stunded ones without such crutches (we'll just purple sun them I guess)
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

Dalamar wrote:(we'll just purple sun them I guess)

This is pretty much my thoughts on what I've seen so far of the Dwarf AB :P

Yet more reasons to take Death magic! They are rumoured to have lost some magic resistance as well. Cloak of Twilight also looking more and more handy.
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

There looks to be no limit to their version of dispel scroll though. And even if there is they will have at least two: spellbreaking, and spelleating.

They can end up spelleating the purple sun and the fun is over.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

:cry:
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

From what I gathered, or deduce from the ranting at Bugman's, the defence is more difficult or expensive to get now. IMO that's a good thing, if only to have more phases in an otherwise one-sided game.

If the rumors are correct, they still have very powerful shooting but the cost of their gunners in general went up. That's good. While it means they are still nasty in the shooting phase, the cost per shot went up and that may reduce the volume. I hope this will make it more challenging on their part, and more playable on ours. I confess I wasn't fond of the massive blocks of shooters that.. well.. simply were boring to deal with.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
xFallenx
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by xFallenx »

Daeron wrote:From what I gathered, or deduce from the ranting at Bugman's, the defence is more difficult or expensive to get now. IMO that's a good thing, if only to have more phases in an otherwise one-sided game.

If the rumors are correct, they still have very powerful shooting but the cost of their gunners in general went up. That's good. While it means they are still nasty in the shooting phase, the cost per shot went up and that may reduce the volume. I hope this will make it more challenging on their part, and more playable on ours. I confess I wasn't fond of the massive blocks of shooters that.. well.. simply were boring to deal with.

^ This exactly. The one Dwarf player we had in the group (he did end up losing interest & started an Ogre army) either won or lost his games depending on how the first 2/3 rounds of shooting went. No one enjoyed playing against his lists & by the end (probably much sooner) nor did he. He's approaching the new book with some trepidation that it'll be little more than an update of an old/tired idea. He is optimistic about the flyers & is planning on picking them up regardless if he does so with the army as a whole. The book comes out this weekend?
Oct 2013-Current: 3-2-0
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

xFallenx wrote:The book comes out this weekend?

15th is the release date.
xFallenx
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by xFallenx »

Yeah, that's what we thought. I'm sure he'll have a good read over the long weekend and report back the next weekend we all get together. It'll be like a GeeDub version of groundhogs day: If he brings the dwarves out, the book offers alternatives he's excited about, if he opts for the Ogre's we'll have another edition without them.
Gidean
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Gidean »

xFallenx wrote:Yeah, that's what we thought. I'm sure he'll have a good read over the long weekend and report back the next weekend we all get together. It'll be like a GeeDub version of groundhogs day: If he brings the dwarves out, the book offers alternatives he's excited about, if he opts for the Ogre's we'll have another edition without them.

Well my son is showing mild interest in his Dwarf army again. I have a feeling I will be shelling out money on Bombers and Irondrakes. :killed:
xFallenx
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by xFallenx »

I have no doubt on Bombers & Drakes being in your near future. HaHa. I wish they had gone with mini Zeppelin’s instead. Heck, even a hot air balloon.
Gidean
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Gidean »

xFallenx wrote:I have no doubt on Bombers & Drakes being in your near future. HaHa. I wish they had gone with mini Zeppelin’s instead. Heck, even a hot air balloon.

You could always convert. :)
xFallenx
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by xFallenx »

Very true. But the odds of me seeing a conversion like that is slim - 0. If they had made Zeppelin's I would have totally bought one to turn into a Led Zeppelin tour blimp objective marker.
That being said, I just visited the GeeDub site to guage the work on that conversion & noticed that the Special Ed book has sold out. There are a lot of very excited Dwarves out there.
Detherius Zythaal
Shade

Post by Detherius Zythaal »

It seams to me that the new combat dwarves will rip appart warriors of chaos (2A S7 on the charge with armor piercing for the hammerers with a runesmith... with a chance to have hatred... AND runes that allow them to fight in extra ranks... I mean no other units in the game can deal that much damage against heavily armored units and all you can see in the dwarf forum is them complaining about their anti magic getting nerfed...). The gyrobomber will probably be needed in all-comers list for dealing with elves, althought runic banners giving charging units ASL is also nice.
Gerner
Noble

Post by Gerner »

Dalamar wrote: such crutches (we'll just purple sun them I guess)

Death Magic is the thesis of a crutch!