New Wood Elf fluff ?

For discussion about all the lesser races of Warhammer. Talk about armies, tactics and lists to take on the Druchii here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Sezax
Black Guard

New Wood Elf fluff ?

Post by Sezax »

Hi can you tell me whats in the new WE AB about gods ?

And how is WE access to Dark Arts explained ?

Are DEs or Old Ones somehow mentioned ?

Was there anything suprising ?
Ming
Black Guard

Re: New Wood Elf fluff ?

Post by Ming »

Too many things to list.
I'm impressed on the neutrality of woodies.
They are depicted no more as a force of good.
They are neutral and focused on preserving balance in things.
They equally despise their high and dark cousins.
Dark magic was stolen from Morathi in exchange for her life, during a raid in Naggaroth.
In my opinion WE should now count as neutral when considering allies.
Just like Ogres.
... and Justice for all!!!

.... and enthusiast member of the league of extraordinary druchii gentlemen
Sezax
Black Guard

Post by Sezax »

That part about Morathi sounds awesome !

Is there any connection between WE and Cytharai ?
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Gods are the very same as for HE and DE, just in a different ranking.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

Calisson is correct. They all share the same gods, but they are ranked differently.

Isha, Koronsus and Loec were always a big three to them so I see them being at the top. All others would be ranked on importance. On the top of my head I can think of: Ladrial since she is sneaky so a perfect fit for Way Watchers; Some Sages and wizzards might look to Lileah and Hoeth for wisdom and insight; crafters might look for Vaul for a job well don; Morai-Heg and Nethu as they have a raven motif so take on traditions of dark riders and high elf archers.

Aneth Raema might also be big as she tried to woo the other big hunter god in the elvin pantheon.
Who needs sanity? I have a Hydra
Sezax
Black Guard

Post by Sezax »

Is it true that Morathi tried to kill Ariel´s sister cause she had some sort of relationship with Malekith? Is Atharti or Hekarti described somehow in the new WE AB ?
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Basically Matt Ward pissed all over elven fluff in both dark elf and wood elf book. High elf fluff got pissed on in vampire and dwarf books though.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

Sezax wrote:Is it true that Morathi tried to kill Ariel´s sister cause she had some sort of relationship with Malekith?

Wife and succeeded.
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Sezax
Black Guard

Post by Sezax »

Ariel has a wife as well?! Finally the lgbt themes make it into warhammer art ! :-)
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Malekith's wife (pre-sundering), and Morathi created and executed a plot that saw her... daughter-in-law... killed.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Sezax
Black Guard

Post by Sezax »

I was joking, but I really thought that T.D. had written wife as a mistake or a jest....i mean...WIFE of Malekith really should not pop out of nowhere...lover would be fine even awesome but wasnt Ariel supposed to be born like quite some time later after the tribes were already long established and old Colonies long gone? This wife just does not seem to fit much into what we were told before so I guess Dalamar is right.
Melle
Executioner

Post by Melle »

the story of malekiths wife is in DE book. when Mal finds out he inprison morathi for a year pondering what to do with her
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain."

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Post by T.D. »

Sezax wrote:Ariel has a wife as well?! Finally the lgbt themes make it into warhammer art ! :-)

!lol!

I get the joke :P LGBT themes have already appeared in Warhammer art, but not for a while!

As for the Malekith wife thing -- the fluff has been stirred up considerably with these three new elf books. Every writer likes to put their own stamp on things.
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Ming wrote:Dark magic was stolen from Morathi in exchange for her life, during a raid in Naggaroth.

Wait, what?! A raid on Naggaroth? The woodies, confined to their woods, came out and had a raid across the sea on Naggaroth? All the way to Ghrond?
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Post by T.D. »

Daeron wrote:
Ming wrote:Dark magic was stolen from Morathi in exchange for her life, during a raid in Naggaroth.

Wait, what?! A raid on Naggaroth? The woodies, confined to their woods, came out and had a raid across the sea on Naggaroth? All the way to Ghrond?

Easyjet. They have now expanded to longhaul flights.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Daeron wrote:Wait, what?! A raid on Naggaroth? The woodies, confined to their woods, came out and had a raid across the sea on Naggaroth? All the way to Ghrond?
Using the roots of a tree that spread over all continents. One root arrives to Nagg.
IMO it's the worst part of fluff. Such poor fluff was one reason why I did not buy the WE AB (the main reason being it is now written with all unit's names in English within the text in French, which makes the text awful - same disgusting decision GW took with German, Italian and Spanish :sick: ).
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Haagrum
PhD in Dark Magic

Post by Haagrum »

Calisson wrote:
Daeron wrote:Wait, what?! A raid on Naggaroth? The woodies, confined to their woods, came out and had a raid across the sea on Naggaroth? All the way to Ghrond?
Using the roots of a tree that spread over all continents. One root arrives to Nagg.
IMO it's the worst part of fluff. Such poor fluff was one reason why I did not buy the WE AB (the main reason being it is now written with all unit's names in English within the text in French, which makes the text awful - same disgusting decision GW took with German, Italian and Spanish :sick: ).

Sadly, where relatively consistent lore, fluff and cultural concepts once stood, there is now only a smoking, fanboy-populated crater with a sign saying "Ward was here".

They'd hinted at this before as a reason why Wood Elves would be fighting away from their little slice of hippie paradise, but it's rather brazen now, particularly in combination with the unpardonable ****-pull that is the explanation of why tree-huggers would have access to Dark Magic.
"The wrath of a good man is not to be feared. They have too many rules."

"Good men don't need rules. Today is not a good time to find out why I have so many."
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Ward is an expert. He can do anything GW asks him.
youtube - the expert
Haagrum
PhD in Dark Magic

Post by Haagrum »

Strictly speaking, Morathi didn't kill Malekith's (ex-)wife. She's far too clever to leave her fingerprints directly on something like that...

...which does not explain why she hadn't arranged to have another bolt-hole to run to when the hippies came knocking asking for spare change, new hallucinogenic plants, and Dark Magic. I suppose it must have been her turn to carry Ward's Idiot Ball.

Calisson wrote:Ward is an expert. He can do anything GW asks him.
youtube - the expert

8) That clip never gets old.
"The wrath of a good man is not to be feared. They have too many rules."

"Good men don't need rules. Today is not a good time to find out why I have so many."
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Post by T.D. »

Calisson wrote:Ward is an expert. He can do anything GW asks him.
youtube - the expert

Never seen that one before! !lol!

Ahhh, corporate life :roll:
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

That is a great clip, and far to close to reality than many would imagine.