Space Marines on foot.

All aspects of Warhammer 40K, from general discussion through to army lists, tactics etc etc.

Moderators: Drainial, The Dread Knights

Lother
Corsair

Post by Lother »

Because ultimately it is my 6 year old's army and that is the one he likes.

What about some brainwashing?

No, repeat with me, you don't like those uber-killing-machine looking models, what you really like is this group of yellow armoured-skinny-freaks, and your dad is proud of it ;)

Ok, ok, but it's going to be difficult loosing with them if you are such a good player...
Mmm... by the way, does your son like high elf troops? because if you are searching for handicapped armies, high elves all infantry is your choice! XD
Asperon thorn
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Asperon thorn »

The games are a little beyond him at the moment. Basically the all shooty marine on foot army accomplishes a couple of things.

1) It's cheaper.
2) It's the army he likes and chose (super humans in power armor.)
3) He doesn't have to move his models. He just tells me what he wants to shoot at and I tell him how many dice to roll. Yet it can still be somewhat effective like that, if he chooses to come down to the store with me.
4) It's easy to paint.

Now, he likes fantasy as well, but the real fun of fantasy is all the little subtleties, like combat res, fleeing, pursuing, psychology, etc. Those are a little beyond him. He does like High Elves simply because he likes to be the "good" guys. And he realizes that my Dark Elves are the bad guys and High Elves would be fighting them a lot. BUT, we are not going to be building an Asur army because I am still building my Druchii one. Besides, I don't mind giving massacre's in Fantasy, because I am still learning subtle things about that game. I give out wins on occassion because I want to try something new, or change something major on my list. For example this weekend I am going to try my light magic list for the first time, and see how it goes, as part of my ever constant battle of trying to get back the massive amount of points I need to spend on magic every game just to maintain the status quo during that phase.

(And frankly have you ever seen a 6 year old try to move large units of models around. . . .They are too expensive for that.)

Ok, ok, but it's going to be difficult loosing with them if you are such a good player...

Ouch. Statements like that get me in trouble. As if my dice weren't cursed enough. Honestly most of the people on the board could probably whipe me off the table. What I have going for me is that I tackle situations differently than my current opponents. In BB, I build a strategy based on very few die rolls, and the one's that I do take can have a varied outcome and still be a "success" in my overall plan. In WFB I calculate likely CR, before entering combat, while my current oponents are likely comparing WS and Strength vs Toughness before they choose thier combats.

Even the guy closest to my age that has been playing since the beginning of time just charges his Slaaneshi demons straight across the table at me.

"Wahaa, my slaanesh auras halve your weapon skill."
"Wahaa, Word of Pain makes your WS equal to 1, so you still hit my knights on 5's"
"Ouch"
"Ouch? I just did that to you last week. You had to know I was going to get you again with that? Especcially when you saw me roll it up."
"I was hoping you weren't going to cast that on them."
". . . :? "

Basically I just play differently then they do, and they haven't figured out how to handle it, yet. But wow, have I gone off on a tangent. :shock:

Asperon Thorn